SpiderForest Webcomic Collective Admissions Open

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:46 pm
Location: Beneath stormy skies
Contact:

SpiderForest Webcomic Collective Admissions Open

Post by Warofwinds »

Hey all! Long time to see. Don't know how many people here remember me, I thought I'd drop a quick note here about SpiderForest accepting applications for new members up until the 23rd of this month. I meant to post here at the beginning of the month, but finals got the better of me. Apologies.

In 2004 I started here on CG (err, Keenspace then!). In 2006 I submitted to SF and got in. CG was a great home, and it's one of the few free comic hosts I recommend for people new to webcomics. However, I absolutely love being part of a smaller group of serious comic-making people. I'm not here to poach, just to let people know about the opportunity if they are interested. It can seem like quite I leap, I know!

SF is a free webcomic host, and all my works are hosted by them, with another 2 starting soon. As a senior member, I highly recommend it for anyone who is seriously invested in their work. SF offers you FTP access like CG, but a bit more freedom (like PHP, mySQL databases) and no ads unless you want them (and you keep the revenue)! You also get to be part of a community of other committed comic creators of many genres. You may also maintain mirror sites, and many members do, all we ask is that they be an update or 2 behind your SF site.

Why do we require an admissions process? It's simple: every new member should be bringing something new and wonderful to the table to make SF a better place to be. If we were a host only, not a collective, it would be different, but in a collective each member needs to pull their weight to make it work. We're not only looking for good comics to apply, but also people who would be good MEMBERS.

What makes SF better than other webcomic collectives? I like to think we're a bit more...homey. Some collectives grow too fast and so members don't know anyone else. SF has been around since 2002, so we don't have that problem. We only accept applications 2x a year. A lot of collectives don't let current members vote on new members, and instead a small group of people get to decide who gets in. At SF, EVERYONE votes, and all votes are equal. We have our choice of software to display the comic, members who know how to build sites (and who are willing to help you out if you've never customized a site), and an awesome cross-advertising mini-banner at the top of every page. Also, NO ADS unless you want them, and you keep all the revenue. Personally, I think it's a great deal.

Info on the application and pre-application requirements can be found here.

If there are any questions, please feel free to email me should be in my sig at warofwinds@gmail.com. Otherwise post here and I'll try to get back to answer in a timely manner. I'm a grad student though, so don't judge me should it take me a day to get back! D: Just started in a lab. MY LIFE IS NOT MY OWN WHY THE HELL AM I DOING THIS. I mean, um, higher education, yay!
-Kez
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:46 pm
Location: Beneath stormy skies
Contact:

Re: SpiderForest Webcomic Collective Admissions Open

Post by Warofwinds »

Small bump. Tomorrow is the last day to apply until June 2010. Anyone who applies, good luck!
-Kez
ImageImageImage

Post Reply