I'm really gonna get killed for this one...
- Squeaky
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:05 am
- Location: Santa Barbara, CA
- Contact:
I'm really gonna get killed for this one...
Is there anybody else out there who just can't STAND anime???
I'm not the best artist in the world so I'm in NO way trying to say I can draw any better (quite the contrary) and I can see that it's stylistic, whatever, and is often done beautifully....
but it just annoys me, I dont get it. (dont hurt me please)
Anybody else out there who feels the same way?
(edit) btw its not like I HATE it or anything. It's just one of those things that if I open somebodys comic and its anime, i close it. Theres not even a thought to it, I just close it. it's not something I'll read. The way I said this makes me sound like a hater.
I'm not the best artist in the world so I'm in NO way trying to say I can draw any better (quite the contrary) and I can see that it's stylistic, whatever, and is often done beautifully....
but it just annoys me, I dont get it. (dont hurt me please)
Anybody else out there who feels the same way?
(edit) btw its not like I HATE it or anything. It's just one of those things that if I open somebodys comic and its anime, i close it. Theres not even a thought to it, I just close it. it's not something I'll read. The way I said this makes me sound like a hater.
I don't know that this thread actually belongs here, but I'm going to have to say that it's your opinion whether or not to read something. Even if in my opinion it's a superficial reason not to read something, it's your choice not to like something because you don't like the specific style of art.
I do understand where you're coming from, a lot of comics use anime-style art as a crutch and don't improve or create their own style, but that's THEIR choice, too. Coming out and saying something like this really makes it sound like you're trying to start a fight. Or you were thinking it while looking at someone in particular's comic and wanted to voice your opinion without it looking like you're specifically targeting them.
I do understand where you're coming from, a lot of comics use anime-style art as a crutch and don't improve or create their own style, but that's THEIR choice, too. Coming out and saying something like this really makes it sound like you're trying to start a fight. Or you were thinking it while looking at someone in particular's comic and wanted to voice your opinion without it looking like you're specifically targeting them.
We also must remember comics like Gunmetal Annie, who's artist started off with anime styling, and eventually evolved into her own full-blown unique style.....even if on some other forum some crazy guy claims it's a ripoff of Jackie Chan adventures.Ryuko wrote:
A lot of comics use anime-style art as a crutch and don't improve or create their own style, but that's THEIR choice, too.
If you close a comic because it looks anime, that's your own choice. All I'll say is that you're missing some real gems out there due to your closed minded nature.Squeaky wrote:
Is there anybody else out there who just can't STAND anime???
I'm not the best artist in the world so I'm in NO way trying to say I can draw any better (quite the contrary) and I can see that it's stylistic, whatever, and is often done beautifully....
but it just annoys me, I dont get it. (dont hurt me please)
Anybody else out there who feels the same way?
(edit) btw its not like I HATE it or anything. It's just one of those things that if I open somebodys comic and its anime, i close it. Theres not even a thought to it, I just close it. it's not something I'll read. The way I said this makes me sound like a hater.
Like soaps work. Heavily influenced by anime. Merc's style evolved from anime. So did K-Dawgs. I'm sure a lot of peoples styles were influenced by anime. If I had to take a stab at it, I'd wager Komiyan is one of those people
I'm currently trying to define my own style, but that probably takes years of evolution. It doesn't matter, cause I'm happy with what I do. I don't mind that you won't read it, but I feel you're being needlessly closed minded.
We're not all DBZs, Yu-Gi-Oh!s and Pokemons you know.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
- Soap Committee
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 381
- Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:36 pm
- Location: freshly unpackaged and waiting in a soap dish
- Contact:
Exactly! You gotta start somewhere. Some begin by drawing real people, and find ways to bring out features in their own way. Others draw from cartoony-Disney styles, or western-styled comics, then branch out in to their own. I don't really care about furry comics from what I've seen, but I've read some very enjoyable ones because I didn't close my mind to them.TdotOdot2k wrote:I'm currently trying to define my own style, but that probably takes years of evolution.
Sure, there are some very bland and stereotypical anime comics to be found out there, but that's true of any genre.
- Mercury Hat
- Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

- Posts: 5608
- Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
- Location: Hello city.
- Contact:
I hate that guy.Mercury Hat wrote:Oh lord, I know I'm not the only one who remembers the shitstorm that went down when we had a thread about this in GD.
Then again I think Bloodknight started that one so it was doomed from the start.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
- Squeaky
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:05 am
- Location: Santa Barbara, CA
- Contact:
Im not entirely closed minded against it, I've read a couple. I just noticed that closing it was something I did. I actually tought myself to draw anime by copying from books and then developing my own pictures, just so i knew how to do it (cuz i have to try everything) and then when i sloughed that maybe even I'm influenced by it.
I didn't want to start an argument over whether its good or not I just wanted to see if anybody else felt the same way because I feel alone sometimes. There's just too much anime.
Squeaks
I didn't want to start an argument over whether its good or not I just wanted to see if anybody else felt the same way because I feel alone sometimes. There's just too much anime.
Squeaks
Not liking anime is your own choice of course, but as TdotOdot2k said, you are missing out on some great stuff by dismissing comics simply as being 'anime'.
As for myself, I don't even know if I actually DO draw anime - I usually think of it that way (though I like to think that I have my own anime style), and people I know (that don't know anime) keep claiming that my works are 'pokemon'. On the other hand, I had a girl at an anime con call my art 'Disney-style', so, as said, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing.
Wait, that sounded weird...
As for myself, I don't even know if I actually DO draw anime - I usually think of it that way (though I like to think that I have my own anime style), and people I know (that don't know anime) keep claiming that my works are 'pokemon'. On the other hand, I had a girl at an anime con call my art 'Disney-style', so, as said, I'm not quite sure what I'm doing.
Wait, that sounded weird...
if you're talking about that weird knock-off "anime inspired" type of stuff..
...I guess I'm with you. hahaha...
...I guess I'm with you. hahaha...
I'M MAKING A GAME | GALLERY | The old webcomic:http://www.skimlines.com | [url=irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace]irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace[/url]
- Squeaky
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:05 am
- Location: Santa Barbara, CA
- Contact:
Yeah! "Americanized Anime" it's called. Traditional anime, I think I mentioned is beautifully done, and I've tried it, thats not what I'm talking about.
People developing their styles from anime is cool, as I had some help with that too for basics (just called it "stylized") and if you're going to study anime and do it as a CULTURAL thing (even if its not your culture) and do it traditionally it can look right.
Not even a set rule. But americanized anime is annoying.
People developing their styles from anime is cool, as I had some help with that too for basics (just called it "stylized") and if you're going to study anime and do it as a CULTURAL thing (even if its not your culture) and do it traditionally it can look right.
Not even a set rule. But americanized anime is annoying.
I've quite often encountered situations where "manga webcomic" is synomymous to "sucky webcomic."
It seems that adding "manga" or "anime" as an adjective somehow gives the creator the right to:
1. Draw hidiously incorrect anatomy
2. ignore the existance of backgrounds
3. draw extremely awkward clothes and expressions
4. forget that other tools other than airbrush DO exist.
-_-;;
It seems that adding "manga" or "anime" as an adjective somehow gives the creator the right to:
1. Draw hidiously incorrect anatomy
2. ignore the existance of backgrounds
3. draw extremely awkward clothes and expressions
4. forget that other tools other than airbrush DO exist.
-_-;;
I'M MAKING A GAME | GALLERY | The old webcomic:http://www.skimlines.com | [url=irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace]irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace[/url]
1: You mean like Chibi?KODAMA wrote:I've quite often encountered situations where "manga webcomic" is synomymous to "sucky webcomic."
It seems that adding "manga" or "anime" as an adjective somehow gives the creator the right to:
1. Draw hidiously incorrect anatomy
2. ignore the existance of backgrounds
3. draw extremely awkward clothes and expressions
4. forget that other tools other than airbrush DO exist.
-_-;;
2: A lot of non-anime comics forget to add backrounds too. Dependant on the strip, it can be tolerable. Action...no. Comedy? Maybe.
Mind you, i don't consider a blue backround a backround either
3: I'll give you points on expressions, but I don't think limits should be put on clothes or costumes. They merely add to creativity. Sure, some of it (ie the goth girl from megatokyo and her hair ribbons) would be exceedingly difficult to do in real life...but since it's a comic world, i don't see how that applies to anything.
....unless the comics goal is to be realistic.
4: this one's just too funny :3
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
- Soap Committee
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 381
- Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:36 pm
- Location: freshly unpackaged and waiting in a soap dish
- Contact:
What drives me crazy is when I go into a bookstore and head to the graphic novels section. There will be 3 bookshelves. 2 1/2 will be filled with anime. Over 1/4 will have superheroes. And the remaining might have a few Harvey Pekar, Bone or Eisner books. Anime wouldn't bug me so much if the market wasn't so freakin' flooded with it.
- Keffria
- The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

- Posts: 3748
- Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
- Location: not-France
Don't forget that "anime" encompasses a wide range of styles. Not all anime/manga is huge-eyes-big-breasts-no-backgrounds-overuse-of-chibi-style. (Just a significant amount of it.)
The only type of manga I really hate is that "high-school-romance" crap. You know, the kind that stars what look like eight-year-olds, or in which the parts of sixteen-year-olds are played by twenty-somethings. One afternoon, I went to a comic book shop with a friend of mine who wanted to buy some manga but hadn't ever purchased any before. She told the owner of the shop that she hated that "romance stuff", to which he replied "well, then, that eliminates about two-thirds of it". And it's all the same story. Ugh.
The only type of manga I really hate is that "high-school-romance" crap. You know, the kind that stars what look like eight-year-olds, or in which the parts of sixteen-year-olds are played by twenty-somethings. One afternoon, I went to a comic book shop with a friend of mine who wanted to buy some manga but hadn't ever purchased any before. She told the owner of the shop that she hated that "romance stuff", to which he replied "well, then, that eliminates about two-thirds of it". And it's all the same story. Ugh.
My biggest gripe (aside from the fact that most anime styled comics tend to just use badly rehashed versions of existing stories from anime/manga) is that in most cases, the defining features are hair and clothes. And that is it. The emphasis seems to be on making as wild a hairstyle as possible, and less emphasis on creating individual, recognisable faces.
-
Jen_Babcock
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 649
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
- Location: Los Angeles/ New York City
I typically don't like a lot of anime. The only anime I watch is from the 80s or is done by Studio Ghibli.
I don't really like mangas either, but I have been known to pick up stuff by Clamp b/c their artwork is just so danged beautiful. When I was little my mom used to buy me a lot of Japanese magazines, so I have a particular attachment to Doraemon and the like.
I absolutely detest Americanized manga/anime.
I don't really like mangas either, but I have been known to pick up stuff by Clamp b/c their artwork is just so danged beautiful. When I was little my mom used to buy me a lot of Japanese magazines, so I have a particular attachment to Doraemon and the like.
I absolutely detest Americanized manga/anime.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
I don't really hate people, but he was a bit abrasive. I remember once he said that "Jack" is a badly drawn furry comic and that the artist thinks he's brilliant because he draws a school shooting and so and so. A few days later he gets his own domain name and site, and pictches his comic in the Jack forum as a "long time reader." I didn't call him on it though. I guess he never said he was a fan, but still rather bold in my opninion.TdotOdot2k wrote:I hate that guy.Mercury Hat wrote:Oh lord, I know I'm not the only one who remembers the shitstorm that went down when we had a thread about this in GD.
Then again I think Bloodknight started that one so it was doomed from the start.
Stuff like this?Jen_Babcock wrote:I absolutely detest Americanized manga/anime.
http://www.totallyspies.com/





