Pencils Inks, And Artist Pencil-Ink sharing!

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Postby ChaosBurnFlame on Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:08 pm

Another Penciling.
ChaosBurnFlame
Regular Poster

Postby ShineDog on Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:57 pm

a very quick attempt, trying to be quite striking.

not a style ive ever tried before, so im fairly pleased.

looking at it now, i should have done more on the face.

ill likely give it another bash later on
Last edited by ShineDog on Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaw droppingly large strawberry desserts.
ShineDog
Regular Poster

Postby ChaosBurnFlame on Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:10 pm

Great work!
ChaosBurnFlame
Regular Poster

Postby ShineDog on Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:15 pm

heres one for you lot to take a crack at.

im impressed how much it looks quite like pencil.
ShineDog
Regular Poster

Postby Caduceus on Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:33 pm

Thought I'd join in the fun here!

This is an image of my comic's main character:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ ... eblues.png

Here is a small preview of the image; the one above is a 1000 pixel high 2 color png. Convert to RGB or something if you want to digitally ink it.

Caduceus
Marianne
Caduceus
Regular Poster

Postby Carlin on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:10 am

Ok, I also decided to toss out a pencil sketch of my own. Seeing as it's one of my first in this style it kinda sucks. But here it is. Just a word of warning, it's 2300x2550 pixels so I would just recommend right clicking and saving this one instead of viewing it in your browser. I'll ink it and then put it up in this post later. (hopefully tonight)

(a preview of it)

If there are any errors is this one I would like to apologize in advance. This style is rather new to me and I'm still working out the kinks.

[edit] Oh umm.. if you would like, you can adjust the levels a bit more to see some more shading that I did that is too faint to be seen like this. I went with very light so it could be easily inked over. But if you want to see all the detail in it, feel free to darken it a bit.

[edit pt. 2] He's wearing a scarf. And a jacket of some sort below that. In case you can't tell..
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?
Carlin
...or Crossfire

Postby Carlin on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:39 am

And lo... I have done it myself..

Bah...

Since it's 4 am I'm going to crash...
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?
Carlin
...or Crossfire

Postby Phalanx on Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:49 am

More of digital inking:

Proudly influenced Ursula Vernon's technique!

As usual, I tried to stick as close to the original pencils as possible.

Usually pictures with details are a lot easier to shade. For example, Stephen's picture was easier to shade than crossfire's one, even those crossfire's is more simplified.
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Carlin on Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:06 am

Damn my simpified way of thinking...

Very nice! *takes notes on how she shaded the way the clothes folded* Very nice indeed. :D

I can't even ell that it was slightly influenced by anime when you inked it. :P
(I don't know why I was influenced by anime... it just happened and I couldn't get it out of my hand)

[edit] oh yeah, was everything in porportion? I kinda worried that I was a little off. (especialy since this took about four tries before it even looked human...)
Carlin
...or Crossfire

Postby Carlin on Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:31 pm

And once more I come out swinging. With this piece from CBF's pencils.

Although a quick question for you CBF. Where is the light coming from? I got a little confuzzled there for a sec. So I apologize if I may have misinterpreted a few lines when shading.

[edit] Although now that I think about it... I didn't even do a whole lot of shading. Why is it that everything I do has so much white space? ...
Carlin
...or Crossfire

Postby ShineDog on Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:52 pm

i dont personally do any shading in pencil..

that said, i dont do any pencil at all.

err.

point is that at the equivelant stage of the comic to where my pencils would normally be, there is no shading.

so you have a clean canvas in that regard.

im interested to see what you come up with :)

**nudge**
ShineDog
Regular Poster

Postby Caduceus on Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:49 pm

Shinedog, I work like that sometimes. I do find I tend to get better work if I work a lot out in the pencil stages, though.

It's really hard to take layouts (pencils with no shading) and ink from them. You have to decide what color everything is, where the shadows are, etc.. It's also extremely difficult to know what the penciller was trying to say with the art. Fact is, you have to do more detailed pencils when someone else is inking because you have to communicate what it is you are trying to do. Attempting to ink over bare pencils is hard. That being said, it's fun too.

I will say that I found it easier to ink over Faub's pencils than say, RPin's because Faub gave me a good idea where the shadows and whatnot are. Any good inking includes some black areas and it's hard to place those when you don't know what color things are supposed to be or where the shadows are. So Faub's were hard because they were tonally rich but simpler than some because they gave me information about the image.
Caduceus
Marianne
Caduceus
Regular Poster

Postby Caduceus on Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:32 pm

I love this thread. Another pencil from me!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ ... eyfull.png

Caduceus
Marianne
Caduceus
Regular Poster

Postby Caduceus on Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:46 pm

Crossfire wrote:[edit] Although now that I think about it... I didn't even do a whole lot of shading. Why is it that everything I do has so much white space? ...

Try laying down large areas of black before you start the linework. Pick some dark or shadowed areas and start with those. Don't be afraid to cover up some detail with the shadow; you can always show that detail in another panel.
Caduceus
Marianne
Caduceus
Regular Poster

Postby Dotty on Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:36 am

Ok....wow. This is inspiring me to play with ink a little bit more, but until I get to that, I'll contribute some stuff for y'all to play with, as I'm a pencil necked geek. :D

I know this isn't stuff from the other pictures, but I don't play with ink much. Critique would be swell, just so I know if I should bother trying to ink any pencil stuff I see coming in this thread?

Click em if you want, don't if you don't :p

http://www.tdotcomics.com/comic/Strip0005ink.jpg

http://www.tdotcomics.com/images/galler ... 040612.jpg

http://www.tdotcomics.com/comic/EvilMiko0001.jpg

Anyways, I hope those pencils provide some fun for you guys!
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Carlin on Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:04 am

Once more I tried my hand at a few.

Shine Dog's
And Stephen's

In Shine's I didn't add any shading for now. I may try to add that later. But for now I suck to badly to try and wing it. (shouldn't be too hard.. But it's 4 am again and I need sleep)

blah... I still suck but I'm getting closer. This is great practice. Now if only I could ink this well when I'm drawing one of my comics...

[edit] Upon further inspection of my inking... I seem to simply lack any style whatsoever... It's more like I'm simply tracing it then adding my own flavor to it. I shall see if I can change this in the future.
Carlin
...or Crossfire

Postby ShineDog on Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:15 am

stephen, fair points man, the only thing being that i find any shading on the "pencil" layer to be a distraction when it comes to colouring the damn thing.

in reality, i dont draw for other people to ink, so what you see is basically what i do for myself.

its actually quite a bit more detailed than what i do for myself. the nature of photoshop means that i end up building up gradually to a final version rather than sketching once and detailing on top.
ShineDog
Regular Poster

Postby Fiore42 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:53 pm

Stephen Henderson-Grady wrote:I will say that I found it easier to ink over Faub's pencils than say, RPin's because Faub gave me a good idea where the shadows and whatnot are. Any good inking includes some black areas and it's hard to place those when you don't know what color things are supposed to be or where the shadows are.

I'm not sure that I completely concur, though. I wish I could point to some better examples, but I've seen some great work that indicates shadow entirely though line thickness, rather than actual black areas.

So, though I'm a long shot away from being the master of this style, here's my attempt at your pirate lady. Arrr!

Fiore42
Regular Poster

Postby TheSuburbanLetdown on Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:21 pm

ick. I'm tired and coulda done better, but oh well.
I find it weird inking other peoples' characters, but it's fun.
If anyone's super-bored, here's something to try inking.
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value

Postby Caduceus on Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:44 am

fiore42 wrote:
I'm not sure that I completely concur, though. I wish I could point to some better examples, but I've seen some great work that indicates shadow entirely though line thickness, rather than actual black areas.

I can see that. It's hard to pull off, though.

A good example of what you are talking about would be in the Japanese comic book Utena by Chiho Saito. She often has pages that are just swirls of cursive lines with no black or halftoning or anything. However, they are parts of a great whole (the entire issue) and on some pages she uses thick blacks extensively.

I suppose, then, the consideration of blacks is more important than whether you actually place any or not.

(Edit) Found some Saito that is mostly linework with little black. There is a bit of black in this pic but I think it is sort of what you are talking about:

http://mangaart.com/p/v2?j/p/saito;marionbw;4;11;20

This is the same artist skillfully using a LOT of black:

http://mangaart.com/p/v2?j/p/saito;marionbw;4;16;20
Caduceus
Marianne
Caduceus
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks