Lettering... er, Fonting

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Glarryg
Regular Poster
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:27 pm
Contact:

Lettering... er, Fonting

Post by Glarryg »

I've been messing around with the presentation of my comic, and have been trying to refine the way I do my lettering. Having just recently crossed over from hand lettering to computer lettering, I'm trying to figure out the best font for my work. Here's my question: while I know the basics for choosing a font (e.g. no serifs or any fancy junk like that), how practical do you think it would be to give every character his/her own font for their speech? I'm talking practicality in terms of readability and the flow of dialogue; I'm not worried about the extra seconds it would take to switch fonts during production.

Glarryg
http://www.squidninja.com - Dude. Buy a shirt. Seriously.

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

I think it's jarring to use noticably different fonts. That's a good thing if the voice you're representing is very different from a normal voice but I wouldn't use it for normal characters.

Howard Taylor of Schlock Mercenary used different fonts for different voices but for the normal voices, he simply changed the colour of the speech bubbles. It worked well.

However, he also gave it up because it was too much bother.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Use the same font for everyone ulness it's a specific, limited use mood-inflecting font. Good lettering should be appreciated but seemless. Different fonts for different characters is distracting.
Image

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

I used to use a different font for each person in Troubled Times, but then I realized 1) it was stupid and 2) I couldn't remember which was which between chapters.

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Post by IVstudios »

If your looking for fonts, this site has a ton of them, and all for free. Just be careful because not all of them are complete, some only have lower case or uppercase and others lack punctuation.

(just make sure to click the "English" button at the top, unless of course you speak French.)

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

Blambot has quite a few free fonts if you want to play around with them. Me, I used different fonts in my comic...with mixed success, I feel. If done artistically, I think it can really add something Just be careful.

It is a little more time consuming to switch from font to font.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Wishmaster
Regular Poster
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Your Local Strip Club
Contact:

Post by Wishmaster »

I employ different fonts only if the voice is meant to be really different. Robots, aliens, demons - - they might have weird fonts. Normal humans and caption boxes all have the same font.
ImageImage

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

my main lettering font is Wild and Crazy (a cheap font that's apparently no longer available) from Comicraft, but for basically ANYTHING else, I use Blambot. Can't beat free.

Odd1
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Post by Odd1 »

Speaking of fonts and comic lettering: who can tell me an easy way to create a custom font using my own handwriting? I've been told there is freeware floating around for this. Any recommendations?

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

Indeed! The programs mentioned in Comicraft's How-to section cost a ton!

User avatar
Turi
Regular Poster
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:46 pm
Contact:

Post by Turi »

There is a guideline in illustrations:
The guideline wrote:Never use more than three fonts on the same page
I think that applies to comics as well. Too much clutter.
Image

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Post by [geoduck] »

Several different talking species appear in my strip, and I use a different font for each species. Finding fonts that are both unique and readable is very hard, and I've only been partially successful in finding good ones. (I'm still using crusty old Comic Sans for my main-character humans, because I haven't found anything better..) If I ever win the lottery, I'll definitely pay someone to create a few custom fonts.

Scott Skillings of Triumphant Losers uses a clever scheme where he color-codes the outlines of his speech bubbles, instead of the bubbles themselves.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

I primarily use Letter-o-matic for just about everything because it's an all caps font and I reckon it suits the characters and stuff like that.

I only occasionally use various other fonts for sound effects and stuff, but mostly I just warp the same font into waves or shapes instead.

I do use the Kids font from time to time for handwriting that the kids in the strip may do, etc.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Valuedan
Regular Poster
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:41 am
Location: Cheney
Contact:

Re: Lettering... er, Fonting

Post by Valuedan »

Glarryg wrote:I've been messing around with the presentation of my comic, and have been trying to refine the way I do my lettering. Having just recently crossed over from hand lettering to computer lettering, I'm trying to figure out the best font for my work. Here's my question: while I know the basics for choosing a font (e.g. no serifs or any fancy junk like that), how practical do you think it would be to give every character his/her own font for their speech? I'm talking practicality in terms of readability and the flow of dialogue; I'm not worried about the extra seconds it would take to switch fonts during production.

Glarryg
Tried it. Didn't like it. You don't want people focusing on your fonts more than they have to. Although, if you were to use different hand-written fonts, ala Pogo, that would be something completely different.
<a href="http://dansedansemacabre.net">Danse Danse Macabre</a> is pretty funny how about you go read it

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Odd1 wrote:Speaking of fonts and comic lettering: who can tell me an easy way to create a custom font using my own handwriting? I've been told there is freeware floating around for this. Any recommendations?
From my experience, programs that automatically transform scanned handwriting give edgy fonts that I was never really happy with. But with average program for making fonts, you should be able to export scans and then clean them up a bit. It's a lot of work but it's worth it.

User avatar
Sput
Needs an Oil Checkup
Posts: 2831
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:43 pm

Post by Sput »

My comic uses different fonts for different characters, but I'm thinking of making it 1 font per point of view(my comic has 4 or so), but giving the main characters different colours (my er...whole 3 i have to choose from). The really noticeably different people get a freaky deaky font, though. I've been advised against my weird fonting ways, but I like it. If you want to do it, I say go for it, but I -have- been told not to do it.
lazy sput is lazy.

User avatar
Blackaby
Regale her
Posts: 3441
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Sitting on the pudge.
Contact:

Post by Blackaby »

Please use only the one font. Oh please. PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE. Multi-fonting is the Work of the Devil.
LOOK AT BLACKABY HE IS FILLED WITH TEH SCREAMY OMG
Image
guest artists get free puppies
Image

User avatar
ManyWorlds
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1980
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:32 am

Post by ManyWorlds »

I just use Comic Sans for everything. If I want to make a character 'sound' a lot different from normal, or just distinguish between characters, I change the color of the font/speech-bubble.

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

I use to use a diffrent font for the android then I said hell with it and started shaping the balloon for him diffrently.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

[geoduck] wrote:Scott Skillings of Triumphant Losers uses a clever scheme where he color-codes the outlines of his speech bubbles, instead of the bubbles themselves.
Fireball of Kagerou does that, too. The text itself is also colored.

I use different-shaped word bubbles as well, phact. Ellipsis for the people speaking English and rounded rectangles for dialogue which has been "interpreted" so that it appears to be English.

I've flipped back and forth between a lot of different fonts for my comic, but I think I'm going to stick with Comic Book Commando.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

Post Reply