Newspaper and web comics... COMBINED!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Jigglyman
Regular Poster
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:07 pm

Newspaper and web comics... COMBINED!

Post by Jigglyman »

I still can't believe what I'm typing.

On The Playground's going to be in a newspaper.

And its not just any wimpy ol' "I serve an entire street!" newspaper either. The Lowell Sun has a subscription-ship of 50,000 (way more than, like, my 50). The head editor wants my comic in the paper. It's a long story. But I should be in the Sunday paper (like hell I'm doing dailies) by the end of the month. Stupid two-week backlog...

It's pretty exciting. Of course, I bet some factors in this are that I'm local, and I'm twelve... but hey, who cares? So I'll keep y'all posted.

(I'm getting paid, too!)

But enough about me.

I've noticed webcomics and newspaper comics are starting to merge. *points to Kansas City Star* Do you think this is a good thing? Bad thing? Do you think webcomics and newspaper comics should stay in their respective mediums, or would you like to see more published webcomics?
This is not a signature.

User avatar
Christwriter
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1915
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:56 am

Post by Christwriter »

Now that is awesomely cool, Jigglyman. BIG congrats.

C
"Remember that the definition of an adventure is someone else having a hell of a hard time a thousand miles away."
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04

Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.

<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com"> Image</a>
<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.

User avatar
Chibiartstudios
Regular Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:33 pm
Location: Right behind you!
Contact:

Re: Newspaper and web comics... COMBINED!

Post by Chibiartstudios »

Jigglyman wrote:
It's pretty exciting. Of course, I bet some factors in this are that I'm local, and I'm twelve... but hey, who cares? So I'll keep y'all posted.

(I'm getting paid, too!)
Wait! Your 12!? Like, as in years old? When I was 12 I was never smart enough to make something like that!

*feels dumb*

In any case congradulations! You just hit upon the wet dream of many a web artist. Feel proud!

As for the issue of how I feel about webcomics in print I am all for it. In fact I think that it's going to be what really makes webcomics proffitable and brings new life into the dying newspaper comic industry.

So, I am dying to know details! What are the terms of agreement? How will this work? Where is the paper located? Will they use old strips or new ones? Do you have creative controll?

So many questions to ask!

:D

And once again, Congradulations.
Help me live my childhood dream of becoming the head of an evil corrupt corporate conglomorate:
Image

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

Many congratulations to you. As to webcomics beng published, I don't see how it can hurt us. It will really help us if you put your url on your comic by your name. I think some of those who have focused on being published in the papers and don't see webcomics as any sort of serious endeavor will continue to be pissed, but I don't know if they will make a difference or not.
Last edited by Vorticus on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spriteville, USA
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Post by Spriteville, USA »

TWELVE?! WHAAAT! Dude that's awesome. You definitly need to tell us more about this. Answer CAS's questions or be doomed!

Also I live near central mass I'll try to pick up a copy just for the coolness factor of it being in print.

User avatar
Axonite
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: NEPA
Contact:

Post by Axonite »

Congratulations! :)

There's nothing wrong with a webcomic being printed in a newspaper, especially if it's one that works as a newspaper comic - that is, it doesn't rely too much on web-only features like little interactive and/or animated bits or an odd shape/size. Many webcomics are basically newspaper-type comics that don't happen to be in newspapers. And it isn't as if newspaper comics (and newspapers) are staying offline! (Though I suppose there are exceptions, like "Opus")

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Well, I guess I can't make jokes about syndicated comics and 12 year olds anymore. Damn. I miss those days.... yesterday.
jag saknar självförtroende

Ian Moulding
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
Contact:

Post by Ian Moulding »

Twelve? TWELVE?!

I feel old. So very old.

Seriously though, congratulations. It's good when you're work pays off like that.

User avatar
BOMC
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:13 am
Location: with your mom

Post by BOMC »

...12.....12.... :o

I don't think i even knew what the internet or comics were when i was 12.


Seriously though, congrats :D
-Grace (BOMC)

User avatar
Paul.Power
Regular Poster
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:24 pm
Location: Churchill College, Cambridge
Contact:

Post by Paul.Power »

*reads strip*

Twelve, eh? That's really impressive. I certainly couldn't draw anywhere near as well as that at twelve (can't draw as well as that now), and, though I was a good writer, I didn't have a cynical bone in my body, so I couldn't have written like that either.

(So this is what it feels like to no longer be part of the youngest generation :))
Boot Camp - There don't appear to be many Worms webcomics out there...

Image

User avatar
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Posts: 5608
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Hello city.
Contact:

Post by Mercury Hat »

The time is now, ladies and gentlemen. The new generation has arrived. We must either adapt or perish.

Oh and congrats, Jigglyman
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring

Ian Moulding
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
Contact:

Post by Ian Moulding »

Mercury Hat wrote:The time is now, ladies and gentlemen. The new generation has arrived. We must either adapt or perish.

Oh and congrats, Jigglyman
Or get them before they get us.

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

Whoa, that's awesome! Way cooler than my school paper... *feels outclassed* I really like your comic, too. How exciting!

But yeah, totally put your url in your comics. And then put a link to Thespiphobia on your front page. :)
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

christwriter wrote:Now that is awesomely cool, Jigglyman. BIG congrats.

C
:o She forgot the W!!!

Oh, and I give my sincere and heartfelt congratulations for whatever this thread is about.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

Cpc
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:29 pm

Post by Cpc »

awsome man, congrats, i wish i can get my comic that good (just starting webcomic).

User avatar
Cortland
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Bellevue, Neb.
Contact:

Post by Cortland »

Yay, Jigglyman! :D Remember me when King Features come knockin' on your door, all right?

As for the merging of digital and print media, I don't actually think it's happening as quickly as some might. Print's been around for hundreds of years. It gave birth to the comic strip and it's still the only way to go if you want a daily strip to make serious money. Think of it this way: the Lowell Sun, a modest-sized newspaper, has 50,000 daily readers. How many web comics out there grab 50k uniques per day? And these aren't just visitors wandering by and having a peek for free--these are people who pay for content.

This may change in the future, of course, but the print media still seem to rule the roost when it comes to comics. Admit it, would you rather be "spotted," or get a big fat syndication deal from King features?

So congrats, dude!
Last edited by Cortland on Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

cortland wrote:Admit it, would you rather be "spotted," or get a big fat syndication deal from King features?
Honestly? The answer would depend on who gets creative control.

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Mercury Hat wrote:The time is now, ladies and gentlemen. The new generation has arrived. We must either adapt or perish.
I vote 'anthrax'.
Image

User avatar
Forevergrey
Regular Poster
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:15 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Forevergrey »

Now there is hope that I can be published! 8)

User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4667
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country
Contact:

Post by LibertyCabbage »

I think webcomics will replace newspaper comics, because webcomcs >>> newspaper comics so much that everyone will get their comics online so the papers will buy strips from the webcomic ppl.

to be honest (i'm an honest person) i think OTP is mediocre, although it's very good for a 12-year-old. By the time you're an adult you should've learned a lot more about comics and will have a kickass strip.

-LC
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

Post Reply