Avoiding debt in Uni - Any tips?
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
Avoiding debt in Uni - Any tips?
Here's the deal; I am in my first year of University, I am moving out of my parent's house next year, and am paying for tuition completely on my own. I am in desperate need of a some get-rich-quick schemes, as I would like to leave University without paralyzing debts.
For those of you who have gone through, or are currently in, University or College: how did you pay for it?
For those of you who have gone through, or are currently in, University or College: how did you pay for it?
-Grace (BOMC)
- Mercury Hat
- Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

- Posts: 5608
- Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
- Location: Hello city.
- Contact:
-
Spriteville, USA
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2060
- Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm
- Protectmyballs
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1057
- Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:46 pm
- Location: BGSU
- Contact:
-
Spriteville, USA
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2060
- Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:14 pm
-
Ian Moulding
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1330
- Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:07 pm
- Location: Watching you. Right now. And frankly, you're boring.
- Contact:
Loans, which took me years to pay off. Get student housing, or rent a place with a couple of other people. If you have the time and energy, get a part-time job. Also, get a Costco card. No, I don't recommend shopping there (I hate the place), but you can toss a few random items into a shopping cart and wander around eating the free samples they put out. Think of it as Dim Sum. Cultivate artist friends, and go to every opening you can wheedle an invitation to; Openings have free food. When it comes to free food, don't load up on carbs; Go for the protein. Make friends with the people at your local coffee shop, and when you run out of cash you can milk them for pity and free coffee or cookies.
Yeah, I've been doing this starving writer thing for way too long.
Yeah, I've been doing this starving writer thing for way too long.
- Faub
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 3698
- Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
- Location: Missouri, USA
- Contact:
If you have $10000 to put down, you can make a surprising amount of money quickly on the foreign exchange (forex). I made close to $4000 in fake money on their demo using what I THINK was real market data. It could have been generated data and therefore more predictable.
Since that's impossible for you and me both, I would say get yourself down to financial aid and look into student loans. Having loan payments sucks but as long as you stay in school you don't have to make payments. Be sure to make your schooling count, though. Don't blow it off because you need to graduate and get a well paying job to pay off student loans. You won't be able to live on student loans, though, especially during the summer, but they will pay for your classes.
Since that's impossible for you and me both, I would say get yourself down to financial aid and look into student loans. Having loan payments sucks but as long as you stay in school you don't have to make payments. Be sure to make your schooling count, though. Don't blow it off because you need to graduate and get a well paying job to pay off student loans. You won't be able to live on student loans, though, especially during the summer, but they will pay for your classes.
- Paul.Power
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 293
- Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:24 pm
- Location: Churchill College, Cambridge
- Contact:
- Corgan_dane
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1899
- Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:12 pm
- Contact:
- Alaina
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 511
- Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:37 pm
- Location: Portland until California
- Contact:
I wouldn't suggest getting a loan. Those can cripple you for years. Don't get a credit card unless you know what it means! You can rack up thousands of dollars in debt without even realizing it!
Get married to a friend, then when you apply for FAFSA you get way more money by pretending your parents definitely won't be supporting you (haven't tried this, but a friend of mine has).
Get married to a friend, then when you apply for FAFSA you get way more money by pretending your parents definitely won't be supporting you (haven't tried this, but a friend of mine has).
It's true - I work in a university art gallery. The food is usually pretty good - I'm surprised more people don't wander in to mooch, since it's open to the public.Ian Moulding wrote:Cultivate artist friends, and go to every opening you can wheedle an invitation to; Openings have free food.
Also, sometimes if you need some quick cash, there are researchers looking for test subjects! I made a few bucks being in psychology experiments.
I'm lucky enough that my parents are covering most things. But apart from that: Loans. Hit up every scholarship that even vaguely applies to you. Look for a campus job (I hit the jackpot and got one at a quiet desk where I'm allowed to do my own homework). And if you continue as a graduate student, there's some paltry money to be had marking papers and TA'ing classes.
- Nightgaunt
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 346
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:08 pm
- Location: Washington State
- Contact:
It's interesting, I just read an article in a newspaper the other day abut how more and more people are graduating heavily in debt.
I did all my GEC's at a community college ($11 a unit), and then finished up at a state university. Because they were comparatively cheap my army benefits were easily able to cover the full cost, and had I done some extra paperwork in time I would have actually made a decent sum.
Of course, now Uncle Sam owns my soul.
I did all my GEC's at a community college ($11 a unit), and then finished up at a state university. Because they were comparatively cheap my army benefits were easily able to cover the full cost, and had I done some extra paperwork in time I would have actually made a decent sum.
Of course, now Uncle Sam owns my soul.
http://ruetheday.keenspace.com Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners.
- Godoftarot
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 911
- Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
- Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
- Contact:
Your university must have a financial aid office. Talk to someone there and ask for advice. They like to get as much federal funding as possible, so chances are they'll help. Someone helped us...before I couldn't get any financial aid. The lady changed a few things around and PRESTO! I'm all paid for.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."
- Jha'Meia
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 114
- Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:24 am
- Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Formerly Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
- Contact:
I'm sorry, but my parents are paying my way, but I can give you a few tried-and-true tips passed from my parents and other friends' experiences:
- Don't use credit cards unless you understand the power of money and pay it off RIGHT away.
- Don't leave money things in third-party hands either. I know some people whose bills are automatically deducted from their account. Pay everything yourself and make sure everything is accounted for.
- Have a monthly budget. Never exceed this budget.
- Have a yearly budget. Never exceed this budget.
- No unneccessary expenses!!
- Apply to as many scholarships as you can get.
- Part-time jobs. Hunt around for those. Keep your eyes out for opportunities. Do two if you think you can handle it.
- Do well in school. As in, work your ass off. Some universities give scholarships for that (mine does).
- Be very very wary of get-rich-quick schemes. Most of them backfire in your face. The best get-rich-quick schemes that always work are, unfortunately, available only to rich people.
- Don't use credit cards unless you understand the power of money and pay it off RIGHT away.
- Don't leave money things in third-party hands either. I know some people whose bills are automatically deducted from their account. Pay everything yourself and make sure everything is accounted for.
- Have a monthly budget. Never exceed this budget.
- Have a yearly budget. Never exceed this budget.
- No unneccessary expenses!!
- Apply to as many scholarships as you can get.
- Part-time jobs. Hunt around for those. Keep your eyes out for opportunities. Do two if you think you can handle it.
- Do well in school. As in, work your ass off. Some universities give scholarships for that (mine does).
- Be very very wary of get-rich-quick schemes. Most of them backfire in your face. The best get-rich-quick schemes that always work are, unfortunately, available only to rich people.
- Stick_Figure_N
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:52 pm
- Location: right here
- Contact:
Move to Canada ;]
"...we're looking for a near-sighted licorice fanatice with no tastebuds, and a very strong stomach..."
||<a href="http://stickfiguren.keenspace.com" target="moo"> The Adventures of Stick Figure N </a>|| <a href="http://members.rogers.com/pranam/HAT" target="hats"> Ear-ed Hats </a> (like Keff's x_X)
||<a href="http://stickfiguren.keenspace.com" target="moo"> The Adventures of Stick Figure N </a>|| <a href="http://members.rogers.com/pranam/HAT" target="hats"> Ear-ed Hats </a> (like Keff's x_X)
- Isukiyomi
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2446
- Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:08 am
- Location: The Big Apple
- Contact:
Scholarships are the way to go, as well as good financial aid that won't cripple you. People graduate from university with upwards of $20,000 in debt so make your time (and money) count.
Valar Morghulis - Michiko Monogatari & Tehuti














