Unforseen popularity of certain characters

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Yes, let us check!
Contact:

Unforseen popularity of certain characters

Post by K-Dawg »

Here I am at school, no IRC to chat in and have visited all the sites I visit (minus the more rated R sites). My mind has started to wander and after seeing CJ's yaoi fanart it got me thinking.

In my comic for some unknown reason one of my characters Ton, seems to be super popular; so popular that I've revised some scripts to feature him a bit more.

So my question is has anyone else had to revamp scripts to feature a character who by some odd reason gained some unknown popularity?
Image

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

User avatar
Carlin
...or Crossfire
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Paragon City

Post by Carlin »

Yep.. the egg in my comic was supposed to be a minor character. Brought out to be cannon fodder and sidewalk pizza. But now I can't. The few people who have read my comic think that is the best character in there... I now have to think fast in order to make it a bigger character. I just wnted some cannon fodder and now I have to go out and "take care of them"... :x
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

nope, my comic was unfamiliar with popularity... and if any character ever DOES become popular, that sets off the flag telling me their time to die is coming...
Image

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

I haven't had to do any rewrites, but I've been told that Dual/Duel is the best character in my strip.

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Everybody loves Ernest...
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Some people really like Jean. I think people tend to favor excessively cheerful characters.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.
Contact:

Post by Nanda »

Everyone at deviantArt seems to love Queerboy. I'm not sure why. He hasn't made an appearance here yet, though.

Edit:
The Neko wrote:I think people tend to favor excessively cheerful characters.
Yes! I didn't see this before. In Queerboy's case, that may be it. He's the only optimist in the bunch.
Image Image

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

orginionally, Lust was a cameo character that was supposed to be in the comic just for the divorce storyline and never seen again, but I kept getting emails from people who wanted to see more of her.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

I don't really know what characters are popular in my comic since my fans (if I have any) are pretty quiet... But I have to admit, I did not expect the talking pillow in the background to become even noticed, and at least 2 people were sad that I forgot to include it in the one year anniversary huge cast picture.
Image

User avatar
BloodKnight
Regular Poster
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:52 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by BloodKnight »

I was actually going to kill off Red much, much, much later on in the story. Out of the numerous characters, she is somewhat least of my favorite.

Now that there was a chapter based on her kicking some huge orc's ass and having a muscular body, I was linked by a porn site, a muscular-women fetish site, and lots and lots of fanart.

So now I've decided that she won't die horribly :P
- Mark Iradian
Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
Image
Visit my LiveJournal

User avatar
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1975
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:23 pm
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Post by Terotrous »

For my comic it was Lintor. At the time when only my friends read the comic they said they thought he was really funny, so I wrote in more roles for him. He's also a blast to draw because you can screw up as much as you want and it just makes him look "better".
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Image
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

Daenon was supposed to be a plot device to be killed off within the first chapter.

The first chapter has come to an end long ago, and we're partly through the second, and not only is he not dead... he's taking up more space than the main character so far and it the one featured on the comic banner and fanart.

Go figure.
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

Everyone loves Bard Guy! He was just supposed to be a random thief who robbed the Intrepid Heroes, but now he has his own title page...

After I realized that he's more popular than Galad (the main character... ;>.<), I decided to write him a proper background story and give him a role in the current chapter. In fact, he's getting more time "on-screen" than Galad at the moment, although I don't know if I'm going to carry him straight through to the end of the story.

(He does look cooler on banners, though.)

User avatar
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Hrmph.
Contact:

Post by Komiyan »

Dunno why, but everyone seems to like Komiyan. He's had the most fanart by far.. Maybe more people can identify with a coward than a fighter.
Image
Image

User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Post by [geoduck] »

Nothing unexpected for me. The heroine of my strip is by far the most popular character, and just about the only one people have done fan-art of.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

I have a pretty quiet fanbase (it's my story and I'm sticking to it!) but it seems that Grace is quite popular...I've had at least one request for her to belt six kinds of shit out of the boys more often...

I think she's only king hit kids three times so far though...
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:12 pm
Contact:

Post by Corgan_dane »

Of course, Deadhead's the favorite of my characters, as far as I know.

I expected as much, though. Maybe I'll have a better answer once I have more than three characters...
Image

User avatar
Cortland
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Bellevue, Neb.
Contact:

Post by Cortland »

K-Dawg wrote:So my question is has anyone else had to revamp scripts to feature a character who by some odd reason gained some unknown popularity?
Absolutely. The exact same thing happened to both the Fonz and Steve Urkel. Ton is not alone. 8)
Image Image

User avatar
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Forum Pocket.
Contact:

Post by Kris X »

The Chinese Men and Doomy and Sweetie all have their own fanbase. Cort-o has at least one fan (I wonder who :roll: ) and Dan the Goth has a musician fan base too. It's really hard to say which is top dog.
Image
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.

User avatar
Caduceus
Regular Poster
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:16 pm

Post by Caduceus »

cortland wrote:
Absolutely. The exact same thing happened to both the Fonz and Steve Urkel. Ton is not alone. 8)
Not to mention Opus from Bloom County and Zonker from Doonesbury.
Caduceus
Marianne

Post Reply