"We would like your comic to..."

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

"We would like your comic to..."

Post by Van Douchebag »

Does anyone get any offers from other sites for their comic, but said offers aren't worth it at all comparatively to what one gains through being on Keenspace?

So far I've gotten three for White Hydra, and only one was worth my time.


The first was for a site called Spider Spawn, which is essentially a fledgling doppelganger to Keenspace. Comparing what I get by being on Keenspace and what I get by being on Spider Spawn, I realize there absolutely no difference other than the opportunity to be better advertised on Keenspace.

The second was for a web magazine put out by a collection of RPG sites. They wanted all new White Hydra strips, and were willing to pay me $40 a page. That's a pretty good deal, but the magazine is monthly and one page a month. That, and I'd rather hang on to White Hydra and keep it out of any kind of contract. Instead I created a spinoff to White Hydra involving Ernest's roleplaying buddies and sent that off to them.

The third was the other day, and was by far the worst offer to day. The guy wanted people to start coming to his site so offered comics he liked subdomain hosting on his site, plus a forum. I tried bargaining with him, but ultimately rejected the offer.


If someone were to pay my hosting and a domain name then I'd probably jump on the offer, because that's what I'm really after, but thus far the offer hasn't come up yet. :cry:
Image

User avatar
BloodKnight
Regular Poster
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:52 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by BloodKnight »

Yeah I got some offers myself, even some publishing offers.

One of them was literally said "Give us Garas and you'll be famous."

Yeesh, some morons.
Last edited by BloodKnight on Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Mark Iradian
Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
Image
Visit my LiveJournal

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Well, that was random.
Image

User avatar
BloodKnight
Regular Poster
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:52 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by BloodKnight »

Yeah, wrong reply :P

I was going to reply here anyways.
- Mark Iradian
Writer of Chronicles of Garas (A dark tech fantasy webcomic)
Image
Visit my LiveJournal

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Science, Science News, Discover, Scientific American, the New Scientist, and Nature...

... all have not called to run Reasoned Cognition. *sigh*
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Birdie
Keeps telling everyone stuff
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:50 am
Location: With your mom
Contact:

Post by Birdie »

I just accepted the offer to be published in my school paper. The best part is i really don't need to draw new strips, they were willing to just use stuff from my archive, AND I don't have to censor myself. So if I just wanted to say fuck a lot, I could probably do it. Of course I don't get paid, but I think that this experience can possibly add 1-2 hits a week to my website depending on if people like me in print form. Maybe I'll be the next garfield.
"I find the first strip on this site incredibly offensive and awful" - Scott Kurtz
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!

User avatar
Orion
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2559
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:16 pm
Location: Omnipresent
Contact:

Post by Orion »

...I got an email telling me my penis isn't big enough, does that count?
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys


Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Carlin
...or Crossfire
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:13 pm
Location: Paragon City

Post by Carlin »

Birdie wrote:Maybe I'll be the next garfield.
You mean pure crap? Oh wait.. that's an insult to crap. [/snide off topic remark]

Go Birdie! [/off topic compliment]


[on topic]

I got nothing. [/on topic]

[/pointless banter and fake BBc]
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Was that Ghastly that once got an offer from some people to print his comic for free, and they'd even give him some copies on a lower price? Now, that was a bad offer.

Well, I didn't get anything yet. I had to refuse going back to translating mcDuffies on serbian a weekly basis, because I don't see a point in putting up little bits of such big archive on weekly basis and I'd like to spend that time in some other way anyway. I also refused translating LWK for the same guy, because it's under contract. But I don't know if that can count, because it's a guy I know for a long time.

I get a lot of webhosting-related spams. I mean, they are topical, they find my site and then send me offers for hosting and such, but it's obvious that it's just template spam messages.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

orion wrote:...I got an email telling me my penis isn't big enough, does that count?
Your penis? I think it can count to one, sometimes.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

I've only gotten e-mails from GLBT sites that want me to advertise on their sites. Sites I've never heard of asking me to pay them.... now don't get me wrong, I like advertising, but some of them were ridiculous rates and I think I'd benifit more from advertising on Ghastly's site for half the price.

Plus, some of the sites were a little too scary even for me. It's probably the same group of people that own all the sites.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

Hmm... Had one from a gaming company who wanted me to illustrate their game cutscenes for them, but rate of pay wasn't worth the amount of work it would have involved. It was still kinda cool though.

More requests from writers who wanted me to be their artist for their comics; one even wanted to pay me, but I didn't like the writing.

And then there was that one offer that I did accept ;)
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Soap Soaperson
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1182
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 7:44 am
Location: Florida

Post by Soap Soaperson »

A couple people have...

One of them spammed this forum about half a year ago. They saw me post a pretty negative "U SUCK U SPAMMER" remark just fer' them, then proceeded to read my comic. ...And that's how they invited me to join their publishing company.

There was (I think) one other site asking me to join their blooming pay-comic deal. I don't ever want to do that with my dinky ol' comic, though (like I'd make them any money with my sporadic updates).

The closest I've ever come to publishing Deity Permit was by letting people (some anonymous, some friends) use pages of it for magazines done for projects in classes.
Yay. | Yay Part II.

---

NOOOOTE: Any and all links posted by me have the possibility of being NWS, and are likely from http://www.LUElinks.net. K? K.

<Derenge> yo
<TLH> Hey Derenge, want an enema?
<Derenge> no

User avatar
Ghastly
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 5154
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Ghastly »

If I had a dollar for everytime someone has tried to scam me with a business offer that really wasnt.

I've had a number of people offer to publish me, the most brazen of which was a guy who said "we're just a small publisher so we can't afford to pay you anything but we'll give you a discount on purchasing two copies of your book". Yeah, that sounds like a real deal there sport.

I've had a number of people make offers for what basically amounted to peanuts. I've had people offer to host my comic for me in exchange for letting them run ads on my site (which at the time is what Keenspace was doing so I don't see why I would bother with that). I've had people try to scam me to get free ad boxes. I've had people doing videogames and board games contact me trying to get me to do free artwork for them (because they're a small company and can't afford to pay me) claiming it will make me famous.

I don't know why people seem to think I will trade them my artwork for fame. I'm already pretty god-damned famous in terms of internet celebrity. It seems to me if they're wanting my artwork on their project they're the ones hoping to get famous by being able to associate my name with their product.

I've had lots and lots of offers over the years and none have yet been legitimate business opportunities.

User avatar
Godoftarot
Regular Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Contact:

Post by Godoftarot »

Noooo...
But I get those damn e-mails all the time telling me I could win $10,000 bucks in a poetry contest. Now they send me e-mails all the time telling me they'll publish my poem in their book if I pay for it.
They also tell me they'd like to give me an award for achievement in poetry...but first I have to shell out $400 to attend their convention, and that's not counting airfare.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Post by Faub »

I've had two requests to be someone's artist ("you're great. I think you're worthy to draw my comic for me!") and one request to join a pay site but they didn't want my comic. I spend all my time working on the pages I do finish for my comic. What makes them think I can do that AND their comic?

For all the offers I've had to publish and advertise on other sites (all zero of them) it's just easier for me make my comic print ready and publish it myself. I would get more out of the experience both in terms of learning experience and money that way.

User avatar
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Yes, let us check!
Contact:

Post by K-Dawg »

All i've got was a comic site that wanted me to link to them to help em out. They also claimed to have quotes from a lot of top newspaper artists about how good their comic strip was.
Image

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

godoftarot wrote:Noooo...
But I get those damn e-mails all the time telling me I could win $10,000 bucks in a poetry contest. Now they send me e-mails all the time telling me they'll publish my poem in their book if I pay for it.
They also tell me they'd like to give me an award for achievement in poetry...but first I have to shell out $400 to attend their convention, and that's not counting airfare.
... Actually, they aren't all scams. I won second place in one of these poetry contests, won $500 and six free copies of the book (which did get published and did as well as you'd expect a book of random poetry to do).

It was about six years ago. An early love poem to my now-wife Beth.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Godoftarot
Regular Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
Contact:

Post by Godoftarot »

rkolter wrote:
godoftarot wrote:Noooo...
But I get those damn e-mails all the time telling me I could win $10,000 bucks in a poetry contest. Now they send me e-mails all the time telling me they'll publish my poem in their book if I pay for it.
They also tell me they'd like to give me an award for achievement in poetry...but first I have to shell out $400 to attend their convention, and that's not counting airfare.
... Actually, they aren't all scams. I won second place in one of these poetry contests, won $500 and six free copies of the book (which did get published and did as well as you'd expect a book of random poetry to do).

It was about six years ago. An early love poem to my now-wife Beth.
What can I say? I guess your love poetry is better than mine.
http://godoftarot.keenspace.com
God of Tarot: Giving new meaning to the phrase "Life sucks and then you die."

User avatar
Soap Soaperson
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1182
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 7:44 am
Location: Florida

Post by Soap Soaperson »

You'll just have to learn to trust spam, I guess.
Yay. | Yay Part II.

---

NOOOOTE: Any and all links posted by me have the possibility of being NWS, and are likely from http://www.LUElinks.net. K? K.

<Derenge> yo
<TLH> Hey Derenge, want an enema?
<Derenge> no

Post Reply