And Then There Were Two
No, by all means, try collaberation. From looking at the vast majority of webcomics, the old left brain/right brain thing is proven very true. In the majority of cases, those that can write cannot draw (like me), or those that can draw cannot write. Many popular webcomics are collaberations (Penny Arcade, Angels 2200, Least I Could Do, Alpha Shade, Megatokyo [formerly]). There are also quite a few successful comics run by single individuals, but these are less common.
I'd rather see a comic with a seperate artist and writer than another stick figure or sprite comic, or something horribly written.
I'd rather see a comic with a seperate artist and writer than another stick figure or sprite comic, or something horribly written.
You're familiar with my stuff, then?collapse wrote:I'd rather see a comic with a seperate artist and writer than another stick figure or sprite comic, or something horribly written.
Warren

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
- Joel Fagin
- nothos adrisor (GTC)
- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
- Location: City of Lights
- Contact:
- Joel Fagin
- nothos adrisor (GTC)
- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
- Location: City of Lights
- Contact:
- Sam_Charette
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 861
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:58 pm
- Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
- Contact:
I think it really depends on who you collaborate with. Assuming your partner(s) shares your core ideas for the comic, and you all can discuss things as adults then you should be fine.Warren wrote:You guys aren't really encouraging me to start a collaborative effort here.
My current partner and I do share our core ideas, and can discuss things as adults. The former partner, it would seem, has neither of those qualities. To be frank, since he's left my artist and I have found renewed vigor. We're starting to work more closely together, and are building a nice system for everything. She's finished up two comics since the other guy left (on friday), when it had been a while for her to do the other two before
But I digress. If you do collaborate, make sure that you spell out some things, such as where you want to take the comic, what kind of stories you want to do, what's acceptable and what isn't, and agree on a process including what to do for disputes. If you can get through all of that ok, then chances are you'll do fine
- Ferguson
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 526
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:22 pm
- Location: Kamloops, BC Canada
- Contact:
Despite all the horror stories, I would still rather collaborate with an artist than do it on my own. I've never been thrilled with my drawing (I don't think it's awful, just not great) plus it takes me a long time to do it. I tried for a little while to find one before starting up on my own. Clearly the moral of the story though is make sure you work with someone with very similar vision and commitment. Maybe a clone of me but with actual drawing skills.
Thanks. I was kind of kidding about the "fear" thing. I have been seriously considering colloborating on a couple projects, there are just a couple logistical quirks.Sam_Charette wrote:I think it really depends on who you collaborate with. Assuming your partner(s) shares your core ideas for the comic, and you all can discuss things as adults then you should be fine.Warren wrote:You guys aren't really encouraging me to start a collaborative effort here.
My current partner and I do share our core ideas, and can discuss things as adults. The former partner, it would seem, has neither of those qualities. To be frank, since he's left my artist and I have found renewed vigor. We're starting to work more closely together, and are building a nice system for everything. She's finished up two comics since the other guy left (on friday), when it had been a while for her to do the other two before(granted, I'm sure that's not entirely because of him, but it could be partly because of him
But I digress. If you do collaborate, make sure that you spell out some things, such as where you want to take the comic, what kind of stories you want to do, what's acceptable and what isn't, and agree on a process including what to do for disputes. If you can get through all of that ok, then chances are you'll do fine
Warren

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care








