And Then There Were Two

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Well, CRX worked very fine as a team (until these troubled times), we have no problem of accepting each other's ideas. Perhaps because we all have other projects too.

User avatar
Collapse
Regular Poster
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:52 pm

Post by Collapse »

No, by all means, try collaberation. From looking at the vast majority of webcomics, the old left brain/right brain thing is proven very true. In the majority of cases, those that can write cannot draw (like me), or those that can draw cannot write. Many popular webcomics are collaberations (Penny Arcade, Angels 2200, Least I Could Do, Alpha Shade, Megatokyo [formerly]). There are also quite a few successful comics run by single individuals, but these are less common.

I'd rather see a comic with a seperate artist and writer than another stick figure or sprite comic, or something horribly written.
Image
Image

Disclaimer: By responding to this post, you acknowledge the possibility that collapse may argue with you.

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

collapse wrote:I'd rather see a comic with a seperate artist and writer than another stick figure or sprite comic, or something horribly written.
You're familiar with my stuff, then?
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Collapse
Regular Poster
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:52 pm

Post by Collapse »

Haha, no, I didn't mean that as a jab against you (or any specific person).

I don't have time to look through your archives right now, but your art is pretty good. It reminds me of Beetle Bailey. It's better than some newspaper comics (*cough* Marmaduke *cough*)
Image
Image

Disclaimer: By responding to this post, you acknowledge the possibility that collapse may argue with you.

User avatar
Cow!
Regular Poster
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:14 am
Location: The Great Land of Oz
Contact:

Post by Cow! »

Dutch! wrote:Or just do stuff quietly on the side and update the page when he isn't looking! :wink:
Bah! That doesn't work and you know it..

EVERY time I tried that.. you DID notice.. ;)

uh.. School Spirit is still there? right? :P
Image
"Trying hard.. to take it easy"
Slack As
"Hold on to your Lunch Money!"
School Spirit

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

No. I thought you had it!
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Cow!
Regular Poster
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:14 am
Location: The Great Land of Oz
Contact:

Post by Cow! »

D'oh!
Image
"Trying hard.. to take it easy"
Slack As
"Hold on to your Lunch Money!"
School Spirit

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Cow! wrote:D'oh!
Don't have a cow, man.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Cow!
Regular Poster
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:14 am
Location: The Great Land of Oz
Contact:

Post by Cow! »

Well that was udderly droll, Joel..
Image
"Trying hard.. to take it easy"
Slack As
"Hold on to your Lunch Money!"
School Spirit

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Shall we milk it for all its worth?

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Sam_Charette
Regular Poster
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Sam_Charette »

Warren wrote:You guys aren't really encouraging me to start a collaborative effort here.
I think it really depends on who you collaborate with. Assuming your partner(s) shares your core ideas for the comic, and you all can discuss things as adults then you should be fine.

My current partner and I do share our core ideas, and can discuss things as adults. The former partner, it would seem, has neither of those qualities. To be frank, since he's left my artist and I have found renewed vigor. We're starting to work more closely together, and are building a nice system for everything. She's finished up two comics since the other guy left (on friday), when it had been a while for her to do the other two before :D (granted, I'm sure that's not entirely because of him, but it could be partly because of him ;)

But I digress. If you do collaborate, make sure that you spell out some things, such as where you want to take the comic, what kind of stories you want to do, what's acceptable and what isn't, and agree on a process including what to do for disputes. If you can get through all of that ok, then chances are you'll do fine :)

User avatar
Ferguson
Regular Poster
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:22 pm
Location: Kamloops, BC Canada
Contact:

Post by Ferguson »

Despite all the horror stories, I would still rather collaborate with an artist than do it on my own. I've never been thrilled with my drawing (I don't think it's awful, just not great) plus it takes me a long time to do it. I tried for a little while to find one before starting up on my own. Clearly the moral of the story though is make sure you work with someone with very similar vision and commitment. Maybe a clone of me but with actual drawing skills.
Out of the Loops: Redux.
Image

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Sam_Charette wrote:
Warren wrote:You guys aren't really encouraging me to start a collaborative effort here.
I think it really depends on who you collaborate with. Assuming your partner(s) shares your core ideas for the comic, and you all can discuss things as adults then you should be fine.

My current partner and I do share our core ideas, and can discuss things as adults. The former partner, it would seem, has neither of those qualities. To be frank, since he's left my artist and I have found renewed vigor. We're starting to work more closely together, and are building a nice system for everything. She's finished up two comics since the other guy left (on friday), when it had been a while for her to do the other two before :D (granted, I'm sure that's not entirely because of him, but it could be partly because of him ;)

But I digress. If you do collaborate, make sure that you spell out some things, such as where you want to take the comic, what kind of stories you want to do, what's acceptable and what isn't, and agree on a process including what to do for disputes. If you can get through all of that ok, then chances are you'll do fine :)
Thanks. I was kind of kidding about the "fear" thing. I have been seriously considering colloborating on a couple projects, there are just a couple logistical quirks.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Post Reply