Readership Growth: How much is good?
-
Reinder
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1691
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
- Contact:
Like [AOD], I'm not experiencing any growth whatsoever, at least not in pageviews on my own site. I can't measure my audience at Modern Tales currently, which annoys me no end.
There's a bit of a reason for the lack of growth in my case, though. When I moved the archives to Modern Tales two years ago, I put my promotion on hold for a while to see how the effects of the move would pan out on their own. After about a year, I had a good idea: no effect in audience size either way. However, I was then in the middle of a looooong storyline, and there didn't seem much point in promoting it to non-Modern Tales subscribers because they'd be dropped in the middle of a story whose archives were behind a subscription wall. The problem of promoting a comic in those conditions is solvable, but doing other comics-related work seemed to be a better use of my time. So promotion has remained on hold for two years. I will do a bit of a promotional push for the next and final chapter of my long storyline though.
What really puzzles me about my statistics is the seeming elasticity of the home page visitor numbers. Whenever I get linked to by a large site, I get dozens of referrals a day from it, but the visitor total remains the same! Isn't that weird? It doesn't matter if the site is comics-related or not - even completely unrelated sites will send me visitors that then don't affect the total. It's as if for each new visitor linked from one of those sites, someone somewhere else thinks "nah, I can't be bothered to check Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan today".
There's a bit of a reason for the lack of growth in my case, though. When I moved the archives to Modern Tales two years ago, I put my promotion on hold for a while to see how the effects of the move would pan out on their own. After about a year, I had a good idea: no effect in audience size either way. However, I was then in the middle of a looooong storyline, and there didn't seem much point in promoting it to non-Modern Tales subscribers because they'd be dropped in the middle of a story whose archives were behind a subscription wall. The problem of promoting a comic in those conditions is solvable, but doing other comics-related work seemed to be a better use of my time. So promotion has remained on hold for two years. I will do a bit of a promotional push for the next and final chapter of my long storyline though.
What really puzzles me about my statistics is the seeming elasticity of the home page visitor numbers. Whenever I get linked to by a large site, I get dozens of referrals a day from it, but the visitor total remains the same! Isn't that weird? It doesn't matter if the site is comics-related or not - even completely unrelated sites will send me visitors that then don't affect the total. It's as if for each new visitor linked from one of those sites, someone somewhere else thinks "nah, I can't be bothered to check Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan today".
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Waffle | My DeviantArt gallery | Chronicles of the Witch Queen
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Waffle | My DeviantArt gallery | Chronicles of the Witch Queen
- Pockybot
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 261
- Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:57 pm
- Location: Sacramento CA
- Contact:
You don't want to know how high my ambitions are...it is still my dream to have one of the top ten webcomics online someday. Til then I'm just happy to have anyone who digs my art or strange sense of humor. By next year I do want to have unquestionably one of the best looking webcomics online.mcDuffies wrote:Not if you're ready for that. Somehow I feel Pockey has higher ambitions.Joel Fagin wrote:Well, since it's come up, I agree. Still, coming from someone who has a comic that appeals to a mere 250 people on the web - and believe me, that's the entire potential fanbase - I must add that there's nothing wrong with a niche comic.
Here's an interesting question: how many popular comics linked you?
Popular comics that have linked to me on their front page, without paid advertising? PvP, Machall, Little Gamers, VG Cats, KungFool, Chugworth,
Spells and Whistles, and a few others I cant recall at the moment.
You make a very excellent point...I mean I have it in me to write really well. I've doen a lot of really well written existential philosophical pieces, articles on modern life, reviews, poetry, and lots of gaming reviews. Which leads me to realize that perhaps my comic is more just stream of conscious journalizing or catharcism than I had previously thought. I plan on going pretty much 'action/story serial' in january(ala monica furious, starcrossd, etc) which some people might not like...but Im aching to get this epic action story out.Bekka wrote: Now, the 1000 guys who read your strip every day are those who get it, and who are exactly on your same wavelength when it comes to sense of humour. I'm sure that if you went more mainstream and either wrote a script that can be followed by most people, or had a writer do it, you'd get 20x the hits, but you probably wouldn't have the same type of loving following that you do now. So it's a choice between quality or quantity of readers
anyways, back to what ya said, at the end of the day...while the numbers might disappoint me, the feedback and the small legion of 3am cadets that get it all really make me smile.
I wish there was a way bigger audiences could appreciate strange random humor. I mean freakin white ninja has a bigger audience than me, and I think thats done with ms paint or somethin. Penny Arcade is able to do some pretty offbeat and random comics, but its only every now and then.
---I gave up. I'm still only at around 2000-2500 dailies after 5 years, and I can't drive myself crazy over the next 30 years trying to figure out to get more people to read.
CMorrison
The Polymer City Chronicles
"Languishing in Obscurity since 2000."
http://www.polymercitychronicles.com
The Polymer City Chronicles
"Languishing in Obscurity since 2000."
http://www.polymercitychronicles.com
- Theamazingsquad
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 155
- Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:36 am
- Location: Ballymena, N. Ireland
- Contact:
Listen to this. I'm a new artist, my strip has been going for about 3 months now. I've got a bravenet hit counter thats currently registering at about 200, but my keenspace webalizer says I've been getting an average of 300- 400 hits per month. Not only that, but a few days ago, I apparently got about 400 in one day! Not that I'm complaining, but I havn't had much publicity- so could that be correct?
http://theamazingsquad.comicgenesis.com
Studying Architecture. Going to go to Art school instead
Comic slowly returning from Haitus
Life is grand.
Studying Architecture. Going to go to Art school instead
Comic slowly returning from Haitus
Life is grand.
- Dutch!
- Red galah
- Posts: 4644
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
- Location: The best place on this little blue rock
- Contact:
If you're talking about hits, then yeah, I think it could be possible. As far as I understand (don't take this as gospel...) a hit is recorded each time an object is requested from your site. That includes images, files and stuff. So if you have 10 different things on your page, then it'd only take 40 visitors or pageviews to reach the 400 hits...
If you're talking unique visitors, then bugger me...
If you're talking unique visitors, then bugger me...
- Alschroeder
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 881
- Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:21 pm
- Location: Nashville
- Contact:
Couple of suggestions: crossovers are your FRIENDS. Not cameos. Full-fledged crossovers. There are quite a few comics set in virtual worlds, and there's no reason the Pockybot world can't intersect with another. Your fans will be exposed to them---and their fans will be exposed to YOURS.pockybot wrote:If I've learned one thing in the last year of doing PockyBot...it's that it truly, *truly* is not numbers that matter...but the fanatics who do read your comic.
<snip>
Don't let numbers get ya down folks...I spent close to $200 in advertising, spent COUNTLESS energy promoting my site online...but never was truly able to break that 1000 readers a day thing. But thats ok. They are the best approx. 1000-2000 readers I could ever ask for.
And consider, as I've mentioned elsewhere, letting someone else do the writing, at least for a few weeks, which is your greatest weakness.---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>

---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>

Not trying to put you down, but I think that by this time next year, Hyung will have linked every site on the web. He's given me Kimchee lovin' about three times now. God love that magnificent bastard!pockybot talking about his links wrote: KungFool
The only other "super popular" webtoonist to link me was Derek Kirk Kim. But the day Scott McCloud linked me, I was like a schoolgirl meeting Justin Timberlake: EEEEEEEEE! ....since his book "Reinventing Comics" was what got me into doing webcomics to begin with.
This absolutely correct.Dutch wrote:As far as I understand (don't take this as gospel...) a hit is recorded each time an object is requested from your site. That includes images, files and stuff. So if you have 10 different things on your page, then it'd only take 40 visitors or pageviews to reach the 400 hits...
I remember when I got my site reports once and I read a line that said something like 40,000 hits and I was all like "I ROCK!" and then my host explained to me exactly what that meant and I did the math and I realized that I didn't really rock all that much.
- RPin
- Gentleman Pornographer
- Posts: 2930
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
- Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
- Contact:
I'm jealous of you, lucky bitch! One of my webcomic goals is to have D Double K, Vera Brosgol and Kazu Kibuishi knowing my webcomic exists (and possibly saying good things about it as a bonus).William G wrote:The only other "super popular" webtoonist to link me was Derek Kirk Kim. But the day Scott McCloud linked me, I was like a schoolgirl meeting Justin Timberlake: EEEEEEEEE! ....since his book "Reinventing Comics" was what got me into doing webcomics to begin with.
- Beyonder_alpha
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 589
- Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:40 pm
Mine is to have.... a sandwich... with butter.. hmmmmmmmm sandwich.RPin wrote: I'm jealous of you, lucky bitch! One of my webcomic goals is to have D Double K, Vera Brosgol and Kazu Kibuishi knowing my webcomic exists (and possibly saying good things about it as a bonus).
But bck to more serious stuff... hmm.. sandwich... anyway.. any readergrowth is good, stagnant intervals are also nothing to worry about.
If you need a goal to do your comic, then have one, but be prepared to either have difficulty to reach it or not reach it at all.
I just had days where i would get waaaaaaaaaay to many ideas and i felt like actually doing something with that stuff, so I started a webcomic.
So no goals, no expectations from me and best of all, no pressure
Passes dooby to mrBob and Rpin.
*purges*
Warren

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Well, truth be told, DKK linked me for my Korean rants I used to have on my site, but he did add me to his permanent links list. I dunno if I made the switch to lowbright, but the last time I checked my referers about five months ago I was still getting the odd visit from his site.RPin wrote:I'm jealous of you, lucky bitch! One of my webcomic goals is to have D Double K, Vera Brosgol and Kazu Kibuishi knowing my webcomic exists (and possibly saying good things about it as a bonus).William G wrote:The only other "super popular" webtoonist to link me was Derek Kirk Kim. But the day Scott McCloud linked me, I was like a schoolgirl meeting Justin Timberlake: EEEEEEEEE! ....since his book "Reinventing Comics" was what got me into doing webcomics to begin with.
But I'm going to assume they're all Derek visiting my site going "You do for me what Same Difference did for the world, Bill, you sexay comics monster..." until reality tells me otherwise.
- RPin
- Gentleman Pornographer
- Posts: 2930
- Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
- Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
- Contact:
If I'm not mistaken, this is still you, right? I guess you forgot to tell him you decided to hide your last name.William G wrote:I dunno if I made the switch to lowbright, but the last time I checked my referers about five months ago I was still getting the odd visit from his site.
hey i remember that guy... or was it some other guy??
i'll see your word and raise you a sentence.mcDuffies wrote:Word.reinder wrote: I can't measure my audience at Modern Tales currently, which annoys me no end.
Magellan ... super hero cadets - their worst enemy is themselves!
Loxie and Zoot ... cos nudists have adventures too y'know!
Loxie and Zoot ... cos nudists have adventures too y'know!
Yeah, that's me.RPin wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this is still you, right? I guess you forgot to tell him you decided to hide your last name.William G wrote:I dunno if I made the switch to lowbright, but the last time I checked my referers about five months ago I was still getting the odd visit from his site.
And the last name no longer exists. William George is my legal name. I was going to tell him, but since he because so famous he took down his email addy from his site to get the freaks to stop bothering him, and I have no way of telling him.




