humor vs. story

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:46 pm
Location: Beneath stormy skies
Contact:

humor vs. story

Post by Warofwinds »

In your opinion, which is better in a "comic," humor or story? I've recently noticed a lot of comics going with a hooking story line instead of keeping their readers coming back with laughter. Is this just because it's harder to do humor, or because story-comics are more enticing? I'm bored, just a question,

-Kez
-Kez
ImageImageImage

User avatar
CapitanG
Regular Poster
Posts: 410
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:32 pm
Location: My mountain hideout
Contact:

Post by CapitanG »

I try and do both, but each has its own appeal.

Story comics are "easier," in a sense(don't hit me), because if you can write an original story you've got material to keep you going for some time, depending on how much you can fit in one comic. Also, there's the "original" factor--while it's nigh impossible to avoid some clich

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Niether. You get good and bad of both. I generally like some story, though, but pure story comics rarely work well.

*incoming rant*

The problem with them is that they update piecemeal. Slowly is fine, mind, but piecemeal is bad. Print comics are released once a month but you get twenty pages or so. If you try the same on the internet updating one page twice a week then there's no flow. After ten pages, you tend to forget what happened at the beginning. You lose context, character recognition is harder, particularly if many are introduced quickly. I've also seen many online mangas that, say, have twenty week fight sequences at the beginning of the story. "Hmm, I wonder what's going on" absolutly will not hold readers for that long.

Bottom line is that you cannot write an online comic the same way you write a novel. Imagine reading a novel one page twice a week. If you can't see what I'm talking about with flow and context above, then try doing just that.

But lots of people do write novels into daily comics. Don't work. The rules are different. One of the rules is that each day should end on a dramatic moment. This can be a gag - humour is simply the unexpected delivered with drama - or a genuine dramatic moment as used by... Well, pretty much any gag comic that has turned serious during some story lines. College Roomies, It's Walky, Clan of the Cats... Even when there's no gag, there's that moment of drama at the end of each strip.

And what that does, simply, is make you want to know what's going to happen. Once you want something, the brain sits up and takes notice. Ergo, you'll remember more context and the story will flow better.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
PieceOfSkunk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: DFW TX USA

Post by PieceOfSkunk »

The same kind of thing can happen with humor comics, too. With that type however, you want to keep the reader coming back with the promise of a witty punchline of sorts. My comic is something of a combination of story and humor in that every strip moves the story along, but just about all of them have a punchline conclusion (unless the story necessitates otherwise).

Of course, there's really no point in comparing the two, since they both work in their own ways, and both appeal to a broad spectrum of readers.

User avatar
Caduceus
Regular Poster
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:16 pm

Post by Caduceus »

I think the ideal for any sort of story comic is to have some sort of complete thought for each strip; it's more pleasant to read that way.

That being said, why not love both?

Neither one is easier though. Sure, you can fall back on plot developement in you story strip but you can also fall back on formulae for your gag strip, and it doesn't have to be in a bad way. Tat over and Sinfest has his Fun With Kanji thing that I love and I'm sure everyone can think of other examples from their favorite comics. (Missing footballs, killing spiders, leaves talking to each other, Star Trek on a wheel chair, etc.)

Strip on.
Caduceus
Marianne

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

I try for a mix. If you can't come up with one, you can usually come up with the other. Besides, they make for a more diverse comic, which I enjoy.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Apatheticus
Regular Poster
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:29 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Contact:

Post by Apatheticus »

My storyline largely revolves around what kind of humor I can get from taking the characters in certain directions. It seems to work out well enough, although I really don't know what's going to happen five strips from now. I kind of just write it strip by strip and try to focus on when I've spent too much time on one story or scene and when it's time to move on.
Image
Your sister reads it. And Likes it. Hard.

Waf
Regular Poster
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:18 pm

Post by Waf »

Actually this is an interesting point. The only "story comic" I'm completely crazy for at the moment is Scary Go Round.

I absolutely refuse to read it piece by piece. I go by the site every few weeks if he is on a new storyline I read the msot recent one from start to end in one sitting.

The number 1 reason I stop reading a comic I like is if I feel the story isn't going anywhere anytime soon and I lose interest. Course if you can make me laugh on each piece I'll stick around. =D
Image

User avatar
Patch
Regular Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Mexico

Post by Patch »

I try to do a mix..sometimes it doesnt work and the two go really bad..

User avatar
Fullcircle
Regular Poster
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:33 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Post by Fullcircle »

Our comic is Story, just because... well, that's our story! It's been accumulating for years, and it's time to share our madness with the world even if we're off to a slow start. :oops: I'm rusty on page layouts and getting the hang of things still. But *anywho* I read a variety of different comics. Sometimes humor keeps my attention, sometimes story does, sometimes both. Dunno as it's possible to really say 'Well this kind is better' because it's always a matter of personal taste. /(^v^)\

~SR
As authors it is our duty to create lovable enticing characters, and do horrible evil things to them.
I don't mind straight people, as long as they act gay in public.

Image
In search of an appropriate tagline.
Updates and Community Live Journal
Tips for Character Development

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Waf wrote:Actually this is an interesting point. The only "story comic" I'm completely crazy for at the moment is Scary Go Round. I absolutely refuse to read it piece by piece. I go by the site every few weeks if he is on a new storyline I read the msot recent one from start to end in one sitting.
I keep advocating an "issue" approach to certain types of webcomics but so far no one has said anything useful to me like "Wow! Great idea!". It would do wonders for the online mangas, I think.

Indeed, with the Webcomics List in operation, your users would even be notified when a new issue is started.

(On a related note, I think that the less frequent and/or more erratic updaters should actively promote that thing for their readers to use. Saves much aggro when a website just ups and tells you when a new comic is up. Saved me checking Elf Only Inn every day for the last few weeks, for a start.)

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
RadPal
Regular Poster
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:08 pm

Post by RadPal »

You can't really compare the two. It's more like they're two different genres. You appreciate a story comic for its story, and you go to a humor comic for its humor.

Another question would be "what does someone enjoy more?" I like both, but I'm more inclined to humor. My own is a humor comic.
Image

User avatar
Xmung
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:50 pm
Location: Sydney, Oz
Contact:

Post by Xmung »

Waf wrote:Actually this is an interesting point. The only "story comic" I'm completely crazy for at the moment is Scary Go Round.
yeah - i've just started reading this but am totally confused by it... guess i'll have to start at the start. but joel's point is very valid - if not much happens over a number of pages a narrative can get very confusing.

i try to combine humour with narrative. i like to pack a fair bit into each page and try to have the last panel act as a small point of humour or as a 'cliffhanger' to pique the readers interest and get them back again. with magellan i'm also using my notes at the bottom of the comic to as a 'next update hook'. i think it's working, readership is increasing...

the important thing to remember with narrative web comics is to keep the story in focus! this is where they can often fall down and never recover.
Joel Fagin wrote:Indeed, with the Webcomics List in operation, your users would even be notified when a new issue is started.
this thing totally rules! i never miss an update on anything now and i use it to keep tabs of not just my faves but to sample new stuff too...
Magellan ... super hero cadets - their worst enemy is themselves!
Loxie and Zoot ... cos nudists have adventures too y'know!

User avatar
Nightgaunt
Regular Poster
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:08 pm
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Post by Nightgaunt »

I'd actually like to do a story, and I have an idea pretty well though out. The problem is I'm worried that with my attention span, or lack thereof, I'd quickly get bored.
Joel Fagin wrote: I keep advocating an "issue" approach to certain types of webcomics but so far no one has said anything useful to me like "Wow! Great idea!". It would do wonders for the online mangas, I think.
That really is a great idea, especially for people who post rather erratically. If I did start a storyline I'd definitely use something akin to that approach. I think Demonology 101 uses something like that method, and it works fairly well.
http://ruetheday.keenspace.com Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners.

User avatar
Pockybot
Regular Poster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Sacramento CA
Contact:

Post by Pockybot »

Why not do both? That's Ive at least tried to do...comics like Megatokyo try to fuse a gag in their now and then, tho they used to be better at balancing the funny and story. Now imagine if VG Cats or Penny Arcade had a storyline;)

User avatar
Evil Jamie!
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1408
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Tasmania

Post by Evil Jamie! »

Both is so better. More so for the writer slotting in jokes when the story calls for it is much better than forcing a joke every strip.
I mean, at least, its easyer for me.
Image

User avatar
BOMC
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:13 am
Location: with your mom

Post by BOMC »

Personally, I'm am just sticking to humour for now. That's just the kind of comic mine is; I've had a few short storylines, but they don't tend to last more than a week. I am planning a large storyline for September, but it wil, still involve a punchline everyday.

However, once my art improves, I would like to try a more serious, story-driven kind of comic. But I think with that kind you need to plan most of it out way in advance or else it will just get confusing or boring
-Grace (BOMC)

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

I usually go for humor, although occasionally I try to make the characters react more dramatically.

Hmmm.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
JPSloan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1406
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Germantown, MD
Contact:

Post by JPSloan »

I began as a gag strip. It developed its own storyline on its own. Thus, I have a slowly evolving supersetting, more glimpses of the characters' lives, and the very occasional serious strip.

But I only actively strive to make a punchline every day, and when I have a strip that doesn't, it's usually a significant point in the plot, and the reader recognizes this.
Ancient relic of a by-gone era.

User avatar
Fadedflame
Regular Poster
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Absent
Contact:

Post by Fadedflame »

My comic is well a story type, and while there may be humor in there occasionally it's only because it will be part of the story, not for the sake of a joke alone. Personally I like both, though story line comics tend to keep me coming back more.

~Faded
I don't live to die, I taunt death because it is the only way to live.

Post Reply