New Toon Season, mountain of gold or a pile of dog poo!

ResoluteRay

New Toon Season, mountain of gold or a pile of dog poo!

Post by ResoluteRay »

It's September and that means it's new cartoon season. This has always been the most cherished time of year in my geeky life. There's nothing I enjoy than finding a nice new show that actually has some appeal to me. We all know that the toons of today are nowhere near as awesome as the one's we watched as kids, that's just the way we humans are. But once in a blue moon, we find a new one that has something that grabs hold of us the same way the oldies did in the past. I was wondering if any of you think that this new season has any toons like this, or do they all suck.

At the moment, I'm only excited about a few new shows. I was excited about Transformers Armada, until I saw it, and He-Man, which I thought was pretty good. There's also Utraman Tiga, Ultimate Muscle, and Kirby, which are on Fox, but I missed them on Saturday because of MST3K. I have no idea what's new on the other networks. If you can fill me in that would be really cool.

What's everybody watching? Are there any shows that stand out above the others? Are there any so bad that you want to poke your eyes out with those little swords you get with a Snake-Eyes action figure? And what the hell is this "Fighting Foodons" or whatever its called? Are we scrapping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to tv? Help me Moby-Sang Kareoke, you're my only hope
Ray O'Neil

HotRod

Post by HotRod »

Cartoon supremacy topped out sometime in 1988, in this humble geek's opinon. Since then, good toons are rare. I'm die-hard Transformer crazy so even if their cartoons blow, I'm gonna find something about 'em I like. Robots in Disguise and Armada both are another in the long line of Japanese imports aimed at the Pokemon childhood. (But as soon as I hear that old transforming noise, thats it for me.) Most cartoons are carbon-copies of the google-eyed manga style these days. They're not so terrible, but I yearn for the 80s. I'm not quite as a pro at toons as some, but in the 90's, for me, Beast Wars and Beast Machines were my favs. They carried on the TF saga and just looked great. Especially BM, smooth, dark and sharp as a razor. At any rate, I just hope Armada gets better and no more of the cutting corners evident by the end of the pilot. Its got 50 or so episodes to impress me, and if it doesn't.. well.. I don't have Snake Eyes swords, but Metal Gear figure Raiden has some pretty pointy ones that'll do the trick.

If you're gonna ride, Dan-O, ride in style.

ResoluteRay

Post by ResoluteRay »

The 90s had some really good toons though. Exo-Squad, is one of my all-time favorite toons from the 90s. I wish it didn't end in a cliffhanger. Deep down inside I think the 90s ruined pretty much every form of entertainment.

I finally saw the new Ultra Man show this weekend. I'm still on the fence about how I feel about it. Yeah, It's cheesy but I love the cheese. They left the Japanese actors in the series and dubbed over their voices, which is a plus. Some of the dialogue was weird, most times I wasn't too sure if they were taking a "Kung-Pow" approach to the story. That didn't sit well with me. Overall, I felt a little empty after watching it. Maybe I'm finally growing up but I wouldn't count on that.
Ray O'Neil

HotRod

Post by HotRod »

Ok, one more mark goes in the mountain of dog poo column. I just watched the new Armada toon. Aside from too much fruity kids airtime and not enough robot, they repeatedly screwed up Op's minicon's name, calling it Leader-1. Who's got the final name on the script in this operation anyway? If theres one thing I can't stand, it's screwin' up the details. And as much as I like my namesake, Hot Rod wasn't in the toon, sorry Hot Shot. Alright you cartoon flunkies, if I'm going to indulge my childhood favorites, get your shit together!

HotRod

Post by HotRod »

Gahhhh!!! Two more episodes in and they won't stop calling Sparkplug Leader-1!! Who's in charge over there!?

Satchel
Regular Poster

Cartouche.

Post by Satchel »

Succulent steaming pile o

HotRod

Post by HotRod »

Booster Girl's power is being a hot redhead.

Oh yeah, and she can run real fast or something.

Armada continues to be fraught with mistakes. Swine!