So... what's new with you guys?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

So... what's new with you guys?

Post by Dr Legostar »

I've posted on a couple of threads recently but before that it was back in 2014 that I had any kind of real activity on this forum. Which is the case for a lot of other people as well, but I thought I'd just check in and see what's new with everyone who still does post here.

1. I've got a daughter who'll be 3 soon and is already into LEGO, or at least DUPLO, but she likes LEGO minifigures, so that's coming along well.
2. I finished pharmacy school, I'm a pharmacist now, no I can't get you any drugs.
3. Comic is still going, coming up on 16 years in August, and I still suck at promoting it on current social media platforms.

What's new with you guys? (you know, without me having to wade through posts).
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

VileTerror
Anti-Villain
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.

True Statement Incoming

Post by VileTerror »

If not drugs, then what about needles and scalpels? My supply dried up after the relationship with my last contact went sour.
Haughty spirit and pride make for a wild roller coaster ride!
I mean, as long as you like fairly final endings.

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Re: True Statement Incoming

Post by Dr Legostar »

VileTerror wrote:If not drugs, then what about needles and scalpels? My supply dried up after the relationship with my last contact went sour.
I don't have scalpels. Needles can be purchased over the counter at any pharmacy, they just have to be logged with the purchasers address and intended use. Some pharmacists may not sell them if they feel they're being used for, let's say, nefarious purposes, but that's a personal choice by the pharmacist.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Re: So... what's new with you guys?

Post by IVstudios »

Dr Legostar wrote:3. Comic is still going, coming up on 16 years in August, and I still suck at promoting it on current social media platforms.
I saw. I came across it the other week while I was doing my Project Wonderful ads. It made me very happy to see it's still going. :D (And I made sure to buy an ad)

In me news:
I'm engaged and getting married in November!
In Lego related stuff, I got a job using Legos to teach kids engineering principles. It's super cool and rad.
I'm still doing Inhumation and working on a print book for it.

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

Man, your comic is old enough to learn how to drive!!!

I'm finishing my master's degree and will be student teaching in the fall, and graduating in January.
Still with the same boyfriend since 2010, we'll probably have to level up soon.
Comic wise I'm working on chapter 7, but have been doing that since 2015, with a punctuated hiatus hanging over everything since then.
Mental health wise I'm getting better, and in fact am feeling much better than I have in years.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Post by Ti-Phil »

Congrats on becoming a pharmacist Lego! I'm currently working in an animation studio in Montréal (part of the "department bosses" even if the "scene planning" team was composed of only me until the next project starts where I'll have others to manage). Also still continuing the Volet (someday..someday I'll finish the story...!)
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter

Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Post by Yeahduff »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Man, your comic is old enough to learn how to drive!!!
Christ, mine would be attending college if it wasn't such a fuck up (though that includes pre-internet).
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote: Still with the same boyfriend since 2010, we'll probably have to level up soon.
Good diction.
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote: Comic wise I'm working on chapter 7, but have been doing that since 2015, with a punctuated hiatus hanging over everything since then.
Been much the same since 2013. So I'm doing a different issue of 8:1 until I get my shit together.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Post by Dr Legostar »

And... also now we're having twins in December. And we bought a new house.

I'm going to have triple the kids I have now... it's kinda scary.

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Post by IVstudios »

Congratulations! :D

VileTerror
Anti-Villain
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.

Though you may wish to ask: "Minions of whom?"

Post by VileTerror »

Indeed. Congratulations on the successful breeding programme. May your miniature genetic duplications grow to become productive minions!

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Post by Bustertheclown »

Sounds like everyone is doing well. Good!

Life-wise, there isn't much for me to report. I'm just living quietly in farm country.

Art-wise, I'm doing well, and staying productive. I've managed to find a nice niche as a landscape and wildlife painter. It's an area of artmaking I'd never thought I'd be so involved in, but I enjoy it quite a bit, and it's generated a lot of work for me this year. It's not enough to live off of painting, exclusively, but it is a very promising start. My work as a cartoonist is intermittent, as always. I have so much written, and so little drawn. I should really commit myself to a page-a-week schedule.

I've actually gotten really into gaming as a potential way to tell stories. I'm really interested in the potential for low-input interactive formats, like point-and-click games and visual novels. Adventure games are regaining popularity in the indie realm, and good visual novels produced in the West don't seem to be a thing, so it would be neat to try to get in on the ground floor of something like that. Sparked in large part by this video, I'm working on something interactive based on one of my oldest comic story ideas, and it would be really cool if I could get a proof of concept done by the end of the year.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Post by Ti-Phil »

Congratulation on the twins Lego!
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter

MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Post by MariaAndMichelle »

Congrats all around! :D :D

We're not up to much...
We've moved upstate because Long Island is a cess pool (a crowded, expensive cess pool).
Thinking about buying a house soon.
Every now and then, we become possessed of the desire to start comicking again, but it dies off before anything major is accomplished. :\ :\

That's about it. We're pretty boring. D: D:
(But we figured we'd update you anyway so you would be sure.)
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Post by IVstudios »

M&M the world needs your adorable doodles! D:

Oh, a new thing for me, Me and Christina started a Buffy the Vampire Slayer Podcast!

VileTerror
Anti-Villain

Not a guy, but this is new with me.

Post by VileTerror »

It's cockle-warming to see M&M still M&M'ing it up, even if they have forsaken the world with the lack of comics.

Something new . . . I've been specifically invited to publically GM one of my homebrew roleplaying game sessions as part of a live-streamed fundraiser event for Extra Life.
The event organizer has made a call-to-action video for the fundraiser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqnQwPAYeH0

I'm contemplating wearing The Outfit, but I don't have any immediate solutions for the voice concerns (my ASL isn't strong enough to GM with, after all). I suppose I could just not associate my name with whichever game I end up running, but I have too much ego for that, I think. Why, oh why, doesn't Audacity have a live-audio modulation setting? OR if it does; why, oh why, have I not figured it out yet?

Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Post by Toxic »

MariaAndMichelle wrote:Congrats all around! :D :D

We're not up to much...
We've moved upstate because Long Island is a cess pool (a crowded, expensive cess pool).
Thinking about buying a house soon.
Every now and then, we become possessed of the desire to start comicking again, but it dies off before anything major is accomplished. :\ :\

That's about it. We're pretty boring. D: D:
(But we figured we'd update you anyway so you would be sure.)
Are you guys near NYC? I'm going to be up there for two weeks in September.
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Post by Yeahduff »

Are you Toxic? Are you really?
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Post by MariaAndMichelle »

Toxic wrote:Are you guys near NYC? I'm going to be up there for two weeks in September.
Ahhhh... not close anymore. D: D: We're up by Syracuse now.
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image

Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Post by Toxic »

Yeahduff wrote:Are you Toxic? Are you really?
Hehe, this trip's for sure, already bought the plane ticket! Chicago will happen one day, I promise! Just like Lauryn Hill releasing another album, George R.R. Martin finishing the next Ice and Fire novel, another season of Arrested Development, and Avatar 2.
MariaAndMichelle wrote:
Toxic wrote:Are you guys near NYC? I'm going to be up there for two weeks in September.
Ahhhh... not close anymore. D: D: We're up by Syracuse now.
Yeah, not remotely close is right! :o

A better question, is when are y'all venturing out to southern California?
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Post by Dr Legostar »

Toxic wrote:A better question, is when are y'all venturing out to southern California?
Probably not any time soon, our vacation plans usually revolve around Disney World and when my daughter dictates things, Memphis, because she loves Elvis.