Character Arena

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.
Post Reply
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Character Arena

Post by Narf the Mouse »

This idea saw *much success on one of my other forums. The basic premise is that roleplayers tend to have more characters than we have games - I know I do. :) In fact, some of us can easily have more characters than we know what to do with.

The Character Arena solves both the question of what to do with these characters and solves which characters can actually beat which characters.

Plus, it's fun. :)

Basically, two people agree on a challenge, deciding on a system, power level and which characters they are going to enter. They then snag a GM to adjudicate the game (If one is wanted). The GM designs an arena.

And then, it's clobbering time.

* It actually spawned a short-lived campaign, aside from a number of duels.

I should note that I have an urge to see how a 5th-level Tome of Battle fighter works in combat...
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.

User avatar
Lunaroki
Regular Poster
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am
Location: north-central PA
Contact:

Re: Character Arena

Post by Lunaroki »

This does sound intriguing, but the aspect of competition between player characters makes me a little leary. I don't tend to go in for the imposing, impressive characters with high stats and l33t skills. I tend to run low end, more interested in character interaction and storytelling than amazing feats that prove my manhood. Would a guy like me find any opponents of a suitable level so that my guys wouldn't just wind up getting mercilessly crushed?
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Character Arena

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Depends what other people are willing to make.

Throw in some backstory and vengeance dialog and you've even got a story in there.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.

User avatar
Nolori
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:50 am
Location: In the closet
Contact:

Re: Character Arena

Post by Nolori »

My characters are typically like that too, Lunaroki. So I'd be willing to duel/whatever with you. I've got a couple I would really like to see fight since they don't seem to have much of a chance to in their own stories. Mostly because dialogue tends to run rampant. -whips it- Back beast, back!

But, uhm, I've never actually done any fighting with stats and feats and all that good stuff. All I've ever done is freeform. So if this does get off the ground and there are games to play and duels to be had, would someone be so kind as to help me with the technicalities of this I would be eternally grateful. =D
I'm sorry Dave, I can't find this signature for you.

User avatar
Faolan
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:25 am
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Character Arena

Post by Faolan »

Same here. I'm interested, underpowered and uneducated in the technical aspects. Consider me in if/ when this takes off, though.
"Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with books on algebra etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the creative bug is just a wee voice telling you, "I'd like my crayons back, please."
-Hugh MacLeod, http://www.gapingvoid.com

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Character Arena

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Hey, this is pretty much player-driven. It's not a formal league or something :) - Outside of the duel, it's pretty much GM-less.

But if you want a start...

All around you are crowds. Massive humanoids with weapons to match; wizened wizards wielding mystical powers (Say that three times fast), swashbucklers, rogues and duelists of all shapes and sizes. Here, a gnome examining each piece of some mechanism. There, a harsh-faced man with eyes closed and cross-legged, three feet above the grass. And wierder. There, for example, is a man half-made of metal, while beside him is ambulatory mass of vines. Floating in the air is a jagged mass of crystal, slowly absorbing yogurt.

And stranger beings still. Some of them selling popcorn, hotdogs and drinks. Or stranger foods yet.

It's the Pan-Worlds, Cross-Dimensional Fair...And this is the Dueling Exhibition. From simple tests of skill to duels to the death, the following days will have it all...
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.

User avatar
Nolori
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:50 am
Location: In the closet
Contact:

Re: Character Arena

Post by Nolori »

(So, when we get to the actual fighting, if I get that far xD, will stats be needed? Or are we just going to wing it? And I can we just reply here? I'm still a wee bit lost.)
I'm sorry Dave, I can't find this signature for you.

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Character Arena

Post by Narf the Mouse »

If you want, if you want, yep.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.

User avatar
Nolori
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:50 am
Location: In the closet
Contact:

Re: Character Arena

Post by Nolori »

(Well let's get this party started then!)

Anuii still wasn't quite sure how she'd come to be here. Grandfather said that she should come, that it would be good to see how the warriors of other lands lived. Well, this looked far more like beating each other senseless than 'living'. Anuii couldn't recall the last time, if ever, that she'd fought for anything other than life and territory. Some of the warriors in her clan went to the cross-clan faire for such things during the festival seasons, but Anuii had never participated in such things. She had always been far more partial to the stories, telling and listening around the roast than the fighting. But all of the feral families went to fight in these kinds of things at some point, and she was not allowed exception.
Anuii wasn't happy about that at all.

Seeing the strange creatures and even stranger... what was that, that stuff the... thing was handing out? Was that supposed to be food? Anuii cringed. That didn't look like food. There wasn't anyone Anuii recognized. Not that she really expected to, Grandpapa had said that she was supposed to go alone. Preparation for the Rite or not, she thought this was just silly. She eyed the man made of metal and hoped she wouldn't have to actually fight any of these people. They were most certainly stronger than her in all physical senses of the word and, training or not, she was not looking forward to trading blows with any of them.

At sixteen, it was almost time for her Rite and she was very much looking forward to passing. But training, especially coming here, seemed like a monumentally bad idea. Anuii eyed the the other creatures worriedly and lowered her head.
She hoped it would be over soon.
I'm sorry Dave, I can't find this signature for you.

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Character Arena

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Obvious footsteps approach from behind and a lean, whipcord man with a narrow sword and leathers walks up to you, stopping at a non-threatening distance. "Bit intimidating for a newcomer, isn't it?" He says cheerfully. "Don't worry. People tend to clump together by how tough they think they are. Besides, you can't get thrown into a duel to the death without consent."

"And some of these guys aren't as tough as they think they are" he continuus. He points at the levitating, harsh-faced man with his chin. "Vevax has lost significantly more duels than he's won, for example. Powerfull, just not as much as he thinks."

"I'm called Sylvester", he finishes.

(OOC: I almost called him 'Exposition Bob', but decided that would be a little too silly...)
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.

User avatar
Nolori
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:50 am
Location: In the closet
Contact:

Re: Character Arena

Post by Nolori »

( xD I think you should have.)

Anuii smelled someone step up behind her. She couldn't quite place his scent, but whether that was because he wasn't human or whether it was because this place had been screwing with her sense of smell since she got here, she wasn't sure. She turned to him and smiled politely; Anuii had half been expecting to randomly be attacked since she got here. Some of the people here smelled so... hostile. This man didn't though, and for that she was grateful.
"Yah." She said in agreement, taking one more look around at the people and... other beings that were doing all sorts of interesting things. Or, they would have been interesting had Anuii not been so concerned that they would turn and use those powers on her.

Slyvester’s words were comforting though. At least that it meant the other probably wouldn’t hurt her unless she asked them to. Hostile or not.

“Anuii.” She bowed her head towards him, “My name, that is.” She hummed to herself for a moment before asking, “How many times have you been here before?”
I'm sorry Dave, I can't find this signature for you.

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Character Arena

Post by Narf the Mouse »

"This would be my fifth year" he says with a smile. "This grouping is pretty much out of my reach, too, but they do have the more spectacular duels. And you can learn a lot by watching those more skilled than you."

He pauses for a moment.

"The guild ranking tryouts start a few hundred feet thataway" he points "If you're looking for a less...lethal atmosphere. Most of the people there will be novices and almost none of them will have death fueds with someone in the area" he concludes with a chuckle.

(OOC: I didn't aim the first intro at the posted character level. Oops. :)

Bob...Er, Sylvester is (Hat!) half-human/half-mystery.

What does your character look like?

...Also, I'm not too good at distances.)
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.

User avatar
Nolori
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:50 am
Location: In the closet
Contact:

Re: Character Arena

Post by Nolori »

(It's cool. Anuii can just be watching, fearfully. It's not like she knows what's going on anyway. =D
Is anyone good at distance? I've yet to meet them. [I'm certainly not!]
And I was going to post a picture my friend was drawing, but I don't have it yet. So I'll try to describe! I guess she's sixteen in this. [Her age changes a lot for stories I throw her in. Haha.] She's tiny, flat-chested, but has lean-ish muscles from running around so much. Darkish skin [think Native American] pointy ears, but not Zomg-Zelda long. Just tipped pointy. She has scales that run along her jaw line, pointy-teeth, and tattoos. [Just look like lines and circles really. It's hard to describe where they are and what they look like exactly, hopefully I'll get the picture soon.] Her eyes look like cat eyes, and she has the side-blinking eyelids too. Her hair is black and poofs out about the length of half-way down her jaw. The rest is really long and braided and tied up in a bun on the back of her head. Leather greaves, leather top with shark-teeth necklace thing, and leather pants which stop at her knees. Doesn't wear shoes. Has bear claws as gloves on her hands. She also has a greyish-white wolf pelt she carries around on her back. [the paws tie around her neck]. She's always dirty, but smells more like dirt than B.O. xD
She's human, I guess. I don't really know what else to classify her as. In my little world there’s a branch of homosapien [sp?] referred to as The Feral Children. They mentally turn into animals, not to mention all the animalistic stuff about her. They're not like werewolves or anything though.
That's probably WAY more than you wanted to know, but, uh... I'm just going to stop now. Heh. Heh. Heh.)

Five years.
Well, that certainly meant most people didn't die here. Which was even more comforting. She returned the smile,
"I should get headed over there then, jah?" She stood up, took one last anxious look about the hostility in the air, and began to walk off towards the guild ranking.
Anuii wasn't entirely sure what kind of Guild would hold things like this, and wasn't sure she wanted to be associated with anything outside her clan. But Granpapa was the one who said to come, so he couldn't possibly mind if she did, could he?
I'm sorry Dave, I can't find this signature for you.

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Character Arena

Post by Narf the Mouse »

(OOC: I like the description. It was descriptive. :)

Just to be clear, my understanding of english says that 'guild ranking tryouts' is the proper form for both plural and singular. In this case, plural. :) Also, it was suggested more as a safer place to pick fights. :) )

Behind your back Bo...Sylvester mumbles "They never say thank you".
...And then he dissapears in a shimmer of air.

Hah! Mystery! (No plan for that. Just went with my instincts :) )

Once you get out of the 'grouping of fear', you begin seeing a more friendly atmosphere. In fact, you seem to have wandered into a bit of a carnival area. At least, there's a clown on some strange, one-wheeled contraption, juggling painted wooden balls. There's some acrobats with a high-wire act - Well, twenty feet up, between two tent-poles. There's a strange, gnomish machine which makes sugery globs of something. A knife-thrower is offering a contest; he's taking bets and offering five times if he looses. Although he doesn't always hit the board, he seems to have enough skill to win each time. These, and a few other acts, occupy a short stretch of space. Near the other end of this grouping, you see a collection of taverns, including an open-air tavern grilling various meats and serving fermented beverages. The clientel seem to be having a heck of a time, including a thick-wasted half-orc cleric who is definitly female, standing on a table and singing a song about...A wizards' staff?

Ahead, the fairgrounds open up into a wide area with many buildings; one has a crossed sword, mace and spear on a shield over the door; another has a sun-disk; a third a helm; a forth, a unicorn. Another sits, quiet and unobtrusive in a corner. There are others - This is a large area, that extends farther than you can see in the crowds. As for the people, they are many and varied - And most are around your age and plenty seem nervous - Mostly the ones clumped around shallow fighting pits near the various buildings. Two of the ones you can see are occupied; in one, a motionless robed young man faces a grey-bearded older man. Although sweet is streaming down the younger mans' face and the older man looks tense, you can see no sign of exertion. Both bear a lightning-bolt symbol on their robes.
In the second, two plate-clad, unidentifiable warriors fight, one clearly outmatched - Even though the other only defends. One bears a helm on his surcoat, which makes sense, as that is the building they are next to.

There is plenty going on away from the buildings; you can see a hastily-drawn ring with two chain-shirt clad twins (One male, one female) in it, swinging at each other with padded weapons in glee, watched by a small crowd - Most of whom are placing bets. Another teen, with a face like he's looking to die of an ulcer, is repetively going through an admittadly-impressive set of routines. A short, orange-clad youth is clumsily bouncing throwing knives off the side of a building. An older man with a collection of spears and the look of a consumate hunter is giving a lecture to a variety of wide-eyed youth. From what you can hear, it seems to be long, involved and is about philosophy, including words you didn't even know existed - Although he seems to be explaining them. Over to one side, a chubby-faced young man is determidly, but not skillfully, practicing with sword and shield.

The sounds hear are loud, mostly cheerfull and hold the scattered ringing of various weapons against each other, along with what sounds like a badly-tuned, but fortunatly quiet brass band coming from a pimply-faced, robed youth with a look of intense concentration on his face.

The smells speak of cheerfullness, competition, pride and tense expectation, generally from different people.

(OOC: That was a lot. Entirely unplanned, too. Spot the crossovers! :D )
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.

User avatar
Nolori
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:50 am
Location: In the closet
Contact:

Re: Character Arena

Post by Nolori »

The change between the fighting and the carnival was abrubt and made Anuii look behind her to make sure she hadn't left the competion area. Well when, what was his name? Slyvester?, when he said that this was for newcomers he certainly hadn't been lying. Anuii assumed most of the people here still knew more about it than she did, but no one here smelled like they really wanted to hurt things.
She wasn't sure how long she spent just wandering around looking at the various people and things. Never before had she seen such a varity of... well, most of the things here she didn't know the word for and didn't know how to classify them. So, really, she had never seen most of these things before, period.

Anuii listened to the various songs, including more than one about wizard's and their staves, happily. Although she couldn't be sure why so many of the girls were giggling the way they were. To be perfectly honest, Anuii wasn't even aware all wizards even HAD staves. But, according to the singers, they did. And rather nice ones at that.
She shrugged.

Along the rows of buildings and people, she spotted the unicorn sign. Anuii had never seen a unicorn before, not a real one anyway, but in a place like this she wouldn't be surprised if they traveled in herds. She sped into the building exstatically. Oh, what a story that would be to tell the others! A unicorn!
She looked around inside hoping to find someone to lead her to them.
I'm sorry Dave, I can't find this signature for you.

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Character Arena

Post by Narf the Mouse »

The enormous building appears to be all one room - What you can see of it. What it contains has nothing to do with anything you'd expect to see inside a structure - There is a very lot of green.

Exotic trees grow to near the fifty-foot ceiling. Some have needles for leaves and are very symetrical, narrowing as they reach the top. Some only have leaves at the top and are rather short, with clusters of large brown fruit. One you can see has roots that lift it ten feet off the ground.
There are blooming flowers in all shades and colors, birds of all kinds (Including a wide-awake owl), shrubbery of all sorts...A rabbit leaning against someones' knee...

It's all very improbably peacefull.

A small bird with blurring wings hovers in front of your face for a few seconds, before heading off to a nearby flower. A brightly-plumed bird looks straight at you and squawks "Got newcomer. Cracker?"

It feels like some sort of holy ground. Maybe that has something to do with the soft, sourceless light.
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.

User avatar
Nolori
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:50 am
Location: In the closet
Contact:

Re: Character Arena

Post by Nolori »

The sight made Anuii feel as though she had walked into the holy ground of her home. A place she had only ever been allowed into once. The smell, however, gave her another feeling. Something wasn't quite right here, was it? Something wasn't... kosher.

Her head whipped around to see the bird talking, was it really?, to her.
"Uhm. Hello?" She sniffed at the bird tenatively, "I... I don't have any crackers."


(You said it was 'improbably' peaceful so I kind of rolled with that up at the top. I hope that's okay. Also, sorry for such a short post, lacking inspiration today I guess. =[ )
I'm sorry Dave, I can't find this signature for you.

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Character Arena

Post by Narf the Mouse »

...So, uh...Anybody else in?
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.

User avatar
Kurrel
Regular Poster
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:15 pm

Re: Character Arena

Post by Kurrel »

"It is curious, isn't it?" says a elvish man, walking in a few steps behind Anuii and past to her right. Stopping, he glances at her with a crooked smile and spreads his hand across the area, "Not quite the temples that I am used to either, but our hosts seem to dislike obvious displays of our numerous religions."

Slightly taller than the average human man, the curved points of his ears and the graceful lines of his face and body clearly declare him as an elf. His hair is a black cascade of straight hair, brushed behind the curve of his ears except for a few rogue locks that hang about his face. He carries a strength about him, though, a coiled and feline power that is clear in the broad arch of shoulders and the almost casual confidence about him. He wears a suit of silvery scale male that glitters where it is revealed under the long sweep of the white cape that covers the armoured pauldrons (shoulder plates) and is lined in blue. High, gloss-black cavalry men's boots are reinforced with inlaid and beautifully wrought plates of the same metal, and the bracers he wears are solid defences as well. At his side is slung a sword that is basketed liked a rapier, but almost as heavy as a longsword. A quick and dangerous weapon, though it lacks the devastating power of larger versions. A dagger and satchel hang from the other side of the belt.

He glances over the area again, and laughs as he shakes his head. "Some people are content to pray here, but I refuse to pay homage to a place that allows the darkest and most vile to bend knee besides me." Turning back, he starts to walk out. "If you tired of these mingled and moaning types, there's a meeting hall a little ways around to the side, quieter and with warriors company rather than drunkards."

With that, he slips outside with an easy stride.

Post Reply