My sentiments, exactly. I wonder how my brother will react to this. He's the one who got me into D&D, and he's the one who keeps drawing me back again and again. Much of our relationship is built upon weekend gaming sessions. If only for that reason, I must say that Mr. Gygax was an influential figure in my life. At least we can be sure that his legacy will endure. That's something, indeed.rkolter wrote:
This is one of the few of these kinds of threads that I really feel bad about. This guy helped to define my life - I'm still an avid roleplayer.
He will be missed.
Gary Gygax is dead.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
- 834n
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1831
- Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:38 pm
- Location: A City of Rock and Roll
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
...
Damn

Damn
- Joel Fagin
- nothos adrisor (GTC)
- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
- Location: City of Lights
- Contact:
- Jim North
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6659
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
- Location: The Omnipresent Here
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
Fast.
And awesome.
And awesome.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
- Dragonkingdoms
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 564
- Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:08 am
- Location: A little place at the southeast end of America
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
Well, I'm more of a Final Fantasy fan (through the original X, anyway), but Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Breath of Fire and all the others wouldn't exist were it not for D&D.
Just realized he was almost exactly half his age of death when Dungeons and Dragons was invented.
- Vorticus
- Backrub Fiend
- Posts: 6163
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
- Location: Walking on sunshine
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
This. Plus a "gosh darn you Joel for beating me to posting it!"Jim North wrote:Fast.
And awesome.
- Joel Fagin
- nothos adrisor (GTC)
- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
- Location: City of Lights
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
I have to admitt I was surprised I managed to be first.Vorticus wrote:This. Plus a "gosh darn you Joel for beating me to posting it!"
- Joel Fagin
- Grabmygoblin
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 4062
- Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
wooden die maybe?Mr.Bob wrote:How does one go about burning a die?
Knowing rkolter I'm guessing thermite reaction.
- Prettydragoon
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1981
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am
- Location: Finland, Finland, Finland
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
By Grabthar's hammer, I will avenge... uh... sorry, wrong fandom. Geekdom? Thingy. I've never really been much of a gamer, but even I recognise the name of Gary Gygax. He really made a major contribution to Western civilization. RIP, Mr. Gygax.
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
It's very sad. My thoughts are with his family.
Coincidentally, I'll be going to a gaming con this weekend - I bet there will be a couple of tribute one-shots going.
Coincidentally, I'll be going to a gaming con this weekend - I bet there will be a couple of tribute one-shots going.
- Hogan
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 438
- Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:11 am
- Location: Where the worlds cross over
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
And Weregeek chimes in...
The legacy of his creations are what became a great deal of my upbringing and helped make me the one I am today (for good or bad, you decide... I know who I am)... he was a great man with even greater ideas, and he wil be missed
... looks like they'll be needing a new issue of Legends and Lore, cause a new deity needs to be included...
The legacy of his creations are what became a great deal of my upbringing and helped make me the one I am today (for good or bad, you decide... I know who I am)... he was a great man with even greater ideas, and he wil be missed
... looks like they'll be needing a new issue of Legends and Lore, cause a new deity needs to be included...
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
That is sad, were it not for his games, and the games that came after it I never would have gamed.. and therefore never started doing character sketches which led to me becoming an artist. truely a popculture icon has passed.
- BrownEyedCat
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:24 pm
- Location: Lurking in the Corners
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
Order of the Stick did a memorial comic too.
- Sketchywallflowr
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 474
- Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:52 pm
- Location: Sexpot Central
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
There are very few celebrities that die and I will care. (Heath Ledger? I didn't miss him.) But Gary created something brilliant and fresh, and that is teh awesome. I flash my boobs in his honor... I think he'd appreciate that.
( * )( * )
( * )( * )
Need me to kill someone? I'm a hired assasin in my spare time.
- Boozeathon4billion
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 259
- Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:51 am
- Location: Lincoln, NE
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
All of the following comics did a comic in honor of E. Gary Gygax.
Dueling Analogs
Dork Tower
Exiern
Full Frontal Nerdity
GU Comics
Order of the Stick
Penny Arcade
Weregeek
XKCD
And no, I didn't find them all on my own... I copied them from the Dueling Analogs blog.
Dueling Analogs
Dork Tower
Exiern
Full Frontal Nerdity
GU Comics
Order of the Stick
Penny Arcade
Weregeek
XKCD
And no, I didn't find them all on my own... I copied them from the Dueling Analogs blog.
Last edited by Boozeathon4billion on Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jesusabdullah
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1993
- Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:11 pm
- Location: The Frigid Northern Wastes.
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
Also:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1093
(On the chalkboard.)
Also: I didn't know my DnD history at all, but this is all still pretty
to me, having played a little bit of version 3.x.
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1093
(On the chalkboard.)
Also: I didn't know my DnD history at all, but this is all still pretty
- Boozeathon4billion
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 259
- Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:51 am
- Location: Lincoln, NE
- Contact:
Re: Gary Gygax is dead.
Nice... I can't believe that I read that this morning and didn't see the chalkboard. Durr...










