xaq wrote:We used to LARP in public pretty frequently, back in the mid-90's. The number of times the Campus Police stopped a group of us dressed as demons or Nosferatu and said "Oh, it's just you guys again. Never mind.", boggles my mind.
We LARP around the local Campus a lot. In summer, when lots of people use it as a walk (it's gorgeous grounds, and very popular) security regularly get 'There a people beating each other up! WITH SWORDS! Security know by now to just go "Were they shouting things like 'single' 'double' and 'spirit art thou evil?' Nah, thats just the LARPers. Don't worry."
We recently had to impose an OVER-18's rule, as it's run trhough the universities games society, which, as it involves LARP is technically classified as a sports society, and the university doesn't have to insurance if an under-18 gets injured. So, no more under-18s for them. I started at 17, so did lots of us but the rules have chnaged and if we do't abide, we can't do it any more.
We're the same... because we use the U of S Gamer's Club as our sponsor, we can't have under-18s or it nullifies the club's insurance (although I think parental permission slips can get around that).
Some pictures of some of my favourite LARP costumes in games I've been involved with in recent memory:
A cyber-zombie from a Shadowrun LARP:
A pair of frightening demons from a Nightmare City LARP:
"For the not completely Sucking!" is more accurate. Even that depends largely on the group you are with and whether or not you are part of the "In" Crowd of that particular venue. In my Opinion of Course.
There are usually some requirements for characters. It ranges from "A patrol with max five guardsmen" to "Whomever you want, as long as she lives in the city. And has a superpower". Improvisation is usually the key. I don't think we ever use xp. Characters pick stuff up when it happens. The largest, a low-fantasy LARP centred around a trade fair was with 130 persons. Costumes vary a lot. My expenses tend to go into various modern gear, like rebreathers, isolation containers and others since I usually end up in those roles anyways (tips on field lab equipment and BSL-4 clothing are always useful). NPC roles are uncommon, but there are some that might qualify as such. The organisers in an old occult campaign used to borrow some other LARPer friends to play individuals that we encountered, ranging from the infamous Crazy Cat Lady to an 800 year old vampire refugee.
This being Sweden, we are of course ultraorganised and sorted into a national umbrella organisation, SVEROK. SVEROK doesn't organise anything by itself, but functions as a medium of discussion, contacts and organisation. Plus it gets government money. Usually, we pay a fee for rent and various props, as well as a symbolic fee for club membership.
Are you also involved in an angelic campaign? We had one running 24-7 for a month, which we are now going to resume. Except that I might end up as a hrimtursr this time. :3 They used a system of hand signs plus verbal commands to signify powers. *Pokes temple* "You want to sell your bag to me for 1 SKR!"
*sigh* Nice to see how lively the geek culture is in the States... Where I live... Well, "God-forsaken backwater" would be a serious understatement. The nearest decent gaming store is in another country. The only serious gaming groups are in the capital cities. LARPs are here... but they're an annual occurrence, not a monthly one. There's 4 LARP events every year in the country, 3 of them are in the summer. And none really fit my style (they're all more historical reenactment than a real LARP)
Y'know, living in Saskatoon and being a geek and all, I should really try out one of the LARPS around here.... Any suggestions/ advice/ whatever from those in and/or from the area?
"Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with books on algebra etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the creative bug is just a wee voice telling you, "I'd like my crayons back, please."
-Hugh MacLeod, http://www.gapingvoid.com
Thanks TH! I was going to make a big deal about the con on my blog, but I haven't been able to find the information for this year's events! (I'd love to, you know, link to the things I'm talking about.) Do you know if details have been posted anywhere?
Also, I hope you can make it out, Faolan! It's always great to game with new people!
Cool. I'll try to be there. I take it I wouldn't be trapped in a cocoon of shame if I couldn't come up with a costume in the three or so days I have before the event, correct?
As a note, I'll most likely be out for the Saturday games. No work on Saturday, plus they seem like the more interesting games, with the least to prepare.
Edit: I'm there. Saturday at minimum. Try to make Friday. Sunday's a complete write off.
"Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with books on algebra etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the creative bug is just a wee voice telling you, "I'd like my crayons back, please."
-Hugh MacLeod, http://www.gapingvoid.com
A black shirt and pants will fit just about any genre.
I know that each SLARPA event has info in the SLARPA forums that I liked to above, and they each have a Facebook group. Aside from that, I don't have much more info.
A Zen Koan:
A Master said unto his Student,
"I Own you, Bitch. Know this."
And the Student was Owned,
And Knew it.
Yeah, I hit up the forums. Signed up on the facebook groups for the games I will be attending, and got my characters all picked out and ready. Sounds like fun, hope to see some of you there, and will report back to others, give a newbies perspective on LARPing. For any other folk who may be considering starting. Now, to gather props and such!
"Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with books on algebra etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the creative bug is just a wee voice telling you, "I'd like my crayons back, please."
-Hugh MacLeod, http://www.gapingvoid.com
Hey guys. I know this thread has been silent for a month, but that's not too long, and it seemed more appropriate for my enquiries. I live in Ireland, and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some kind of international or, God forbid, Irish listing of LARPs? I've played a few once offs at my local con (Without costumes), and I've always loved both the idea and improvising, so now that I'm in the interim summer between school and college, I'm on the prowl again. I believe there's a Camarilla chapter nearby, but I hadn't the time for playing when I found out about it and I've lost all the details for it now, so I am resting my little nerdy fate entirely in the capable hands here! =D
Alright, my write-up! (sorry, been without internet, then was trying to catch up from my time without internet)
Alright, so SLARPA. I played in the two Saturday games, as Friday and Monday were write offs (curse you, work!)
Short version: I had a blast! The people were nice, the games were fun, the characters were interesting, and I had enough to do that I was kept entertained (and a couple times, found myself thinking "Damn, over already?")
Longer version: the first game I played was called The Market. It was a cross between Heroes and Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. I played the Jester, a smartass, sarcastic, evil, manipulative character. I've never had more fun. I got to stir up some drama, mock everyone, and generally cut loose. The end was slightly "rock falls, everyone dies" for my taste, but the game itself was fun beyond words.
Best moment: Being told after the game "I wanted to punch you!" and being able to take it as a compliment.
Second game was the Methuselah Club, a game about a gathering of immortals that meets every century. I played the Count St. Germaine. This character was slightly harder to get into, but once I got comfortable, it was fun. I never thought playing an immortal could be so much fun. Wasn't able to stir up so much drama this time, but managed to get my moments in.
Best moment: bragging about basically having my own religion.
After game coffee was also great fun, got to meet some real great people, talk about the games, and hear about games past. The stories were all good fun.
Overall impression: I'll recommend LARPing to most folks, it's good fun. As for me, I really need to check out the vampire game that goes on hereabouts....
"Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with books on algebra etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the creative bug is just a wee voice telling you, "I'd like my crayons back, please."
-Hugh MacLeod, http://www.gapingvoid.com