I have a really hard time accurately describing the facial expressions of my characters in my writing, and I can barely picture appropriate body language at all.
So I would be grateful if anyone could direct me to sites/books/whatever that show lots of pictures of different facial expressions and body language poses.
Resources for facial expressions and body language.
- Dburkhead
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1083
- Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 am
- Location: Indianapolis, IN
- Contact:
Scott McCloud's "Making Comics" goes into facial expressions a bit. I also really like Gary Faigin's "The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression. This one isn't just a set of labeled example expressions but goes into the anatomy behind those expressions in some detail.
For body language I like captures/clips from movies. Study how actors get across certain feelings and the like. It occurs to me that books on acting might help with that, but I don't know any offhand.
Hmm. Might have to check with the library here before shelling out the bucks for some books.
For body language I like captures/clips from movies. Study how actors get across certain feelings and the like. It occurs to me that books on acting might help with that, but I don't know any offhand.
Hmm. Might have to check with the library here before shelling out the bucks for some books.
- Warofwinds
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1088
- Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:46 pm
- Location: Beneath stormy skies
- Contact:
Someone posted this one a while back, and I've had it bookmarked:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47118559/
"Emotions and Facial Expressions."
It's very simplified, but it could help. Good luck!
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47118559/
"Emotions and Facial Expressions."
It's very simplified, but it could help. Good luck!
- Kirb
- A BUSINESSSS MAAAAAAAAANNNNNN
- Posts: 1828
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:07 am
- Location: I'll wrestle you for him.
- Contact:
I also highly recommend McCloud's book. It's got a great couple chapters just on that subject. It's only $30, so not too bad.
But you can always do the traditional animation way of doing things:
a plain, old fashioned mirror.
But you can always do the traditional animation way of doing things:
a plain, old fashioned mirror.


*^*^*^*^* http://spacejunkarlia.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Comic
*^*^*^*^* http://deadgeargame.com/ *^*^*^*^* <- New Game
Best Compliment: MrBob: "Kirb may suck, but at least he isn't annoying."
- Joel Fagin
- nothos adrisor (GTC)
- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
- Location: City of Lights
- Contact:
- Black Sparrow
- Cartoon Anti-Hero
- Posts: 6973
- Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:04 am
- Location: Violating your restraining order
- Contact:
- Jdalton
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:57 pm
- Location: 1 hr east of Vancouver
- Contact:
I heart Scott McCloud's Making Comics. Though this blog post has a little bit on expressions too. But not a lot. 
Nothing is quite the same as people-wtaching, but I found a couple of resources online:
This Java Program is intended to help kids with Asperger's syndrome recognise common facial expressions, so it is quite basic.
Artnatomy is a bit more involved and gives you a bit more idea of how the underlying muscle groups affect the expression. I recommend Level II. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's great fun to play with.
Also, for figure reference I can only suggest The Illustrator's Figure Reference Manual. I believe this is now out of print so could be pricey from a retailer, but I picked up my copy for £4.50 on eBay, so miracles do happen.
Hope it helps!
This Java Program is intended to help kids with Asperger's syndrome recognise common facial expressions, so it is quite basic.
Artnatomy is a bit more involved and gives you a bit more idea of how the underlying muscle groups affect the expression. I recommend Level II. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's great fun to play with.
Also, for figure reference I can only suggest The Illustrator's Figure Reference Manual. I believe this is now out of print so could be pricey from a retailer, but I picked up my copy for £4.50 on eBay, so miracles do happen.
Hope it helps!
- Brigid
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 122
- Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:45 am
- Location: In the depths of central Minnesota.
- Contact:
These are all very good suggestions. Here's my two cents.
Check out your local library's art section. And if you have any magazine subscriptions I'd recommend flipping through them. If nothing else, the advertizements should provide some useful resources.
Hope that helps. ^_^
Check out your local library's art section. And if you have any magazine subscriptions I'd recommend flipping through them. If nothing else, the advertizements should provide some useful resources.
Hope that helps. ^_^
Hey, all! My Comic is up and runnin'!
<a href="http://marycontrary.comicgenesis.com">Mary Quite Contrary</a>, MQC for short.
<a href="http://marycontrary.comicgenesis.com">Mary Quite Contrary</a>, MQC for short.













