Rebirth of Webcomic Above Discussion

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:48 pm
Location: Pacific NW
Contact:

Post by [geoduck] »

I imagine that American slang is more accessable to other people because we export so much of our culture via movies and television...

Getting back on subject, I posted a few comments about School Spirit.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Your fanny is your front bum Down Here.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Indefensible Positions Review is up.

http://forums.comicgenesis.com/viewtopi ... 54#1310354
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Sincerely
Ice Queen
Posts: 1814
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:09 pm
Location: In my frigid kingdom
Contact:

Post by Sincerely »

Dutch! wrote:Your fanny is your front bum Down Here.
"front bum"? Oh lord.
Image

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

Thanks, Rkolter!

Yes, I've realized the problem with Foil. His power level fluctuates wildly throughout the comic...but as the point of view character, that causes confusion in the reader. They see things through Foil's reactions, and they don't understand that what he's seeing changes due to changes in him, not necessarily in what's around him. Lesson learned -- main characters need to be more constant, or explained more fully, than everything else in the story.

Let's just say that Foil *is* a very capable shaman...*and* completely out of his league. :)

The 'anti-moral' slant is interesting...something I hadn't really considered. The end of the story may add wrinkles to that viewpoint, but it's neat...especially since it's not what I intended. I love it when things pop out of a story by themselves. :)
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Hey Thanks JackHass!

I uh... wasn't next in line for a review though.

But thanks!

I would have someone else do the artwork. But that would require me writing the story, then drawing the art, then showing the story and art to someone else, getting THEM to understand the story, and then drawing scientifically accurate, but much better, art.

Besides, who'd want to draw science art? Legostar's no better than I am. Tellurider's impossible to get ahold of. YarpsDat likewise. Remus might do it, but he has hard enough time keeping on his own schedule.

No, it'd have to be me. I -am- getting better. Just toooooo slowly.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Levi-chan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1498
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: THE TOOBS

Post by Levi-chan »

Note to Komi: Review's gonna be late, things came up. I'll try to have it up tomo.

User avatar
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Hrmph.
Contact:

Post by Komiyan »

Levi-chan wrote:Note to Komi: Review's gonna be late, things came up. I'll try to have it up tomo.
S'ok duder, I've got like a 350 comic archive and I don't expect you to put everything aside for a thread on the internet :) Thanks for the heads up though!
Image
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Yeah, my review for 8:1 is taking me a while. It's going to take some extra time to flesh out my thoughts on it.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

The Neko wrote:Yeah, my review for 8:1 is taking me a while. It's going to take some extra time to flesh out my thoughts on it.
A.K.A. find more original insults?
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Killbert-Robby wrote:
The Neko wrote:Yeah, my review for 8:1 is taking me a while. It's going to take some extra time to flesh out my thoughts on it.
A.K.A. find more original insults?
Yeah, that was constructive. But no. You're a bit late for the criticism train, it departed several pages ago.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

The Neko wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:
The Neko wrote:Yeah, my review for 8:1 is taking me a while. It's going to take some extra time to flesh out my thoughts on it.
A.K.A. find more original insults?
Yeah, that was constructive. But no. You're a bit late for the criticism train, it departed several pages ago.
Awww I found your critiques entertaining...
Image

Perk_daddy
Regular Poster
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:58 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Post by Perk_daddy »

I thought Neko's reviews were some of the better thought-out ones. If someone really wants honest feedback, they shouldn't feel insulted if the reviewer backs up what they say with examples and specifics, which Neko's done well at.
ImageImage

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

Neko also has the advantage of being a capable artist and writer. I can make guesses about what's wrong with someone's art, but I may not be able to point to specifically what is wrong because I have no art training. I can say 'the anatomy's wrong, somehow', where someone who actually knows anatomy would be able to pinpoint the problem and give examples.

It would be interesting to split this up into 'Webcomic Art Above' and 'Webcomic Writing Above', so people could aim for what they want reviewed and what they're best at critiquing. I'm not sure it would be a good idea, but it would be interesting...
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

I don't think being capable at writing or art (which I'd argue I'm really not at either by my standards) is what really determines a good critic, but rather the ability to compare and deconstruct. A lot of my critical thought process was demonstrated in the side-by-side image comparisons in the Lightbringer review. I compare the piece to something in a similar vein that works, whereas the original is lacking. And then I try to deconstruct both to see the moving parts that cause one to function and the other to falter. Really, it's looking at the mechanics of what makes something good and what makes something bad.

Unfortunately, I can't always do the same with my own work.

The hardest part about critiquing to define, I think, is "a sense of good taste" when it comes to media. Some treat taste empirically and others say it's subjective. I look at it like someone who has good taste in design, which people don't seem to argue against as often in comparison to when someone has a good taste in film or literature.
Last edited by The Neko on Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

Yeah, but you have the tools to be that kind of mechanic, where others may not. (And I've told you before that I think you're way too hard on yourself and your abilities.)

I just looked at the next comic in the queue because I'd never heard of it before. And although the art is lush and talented, I don't like it...and I can't say why. It just seems wrong somehow. I can't review it if I can't offer specific, constructive suggestions.
Image

User avatar
Dotty
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Drunk!
Contact:

Post by Dotty »

A lot of people have trouble "reviewing" their own work, or checking it for problems, etc. Just ask net, and his writing/scripts. :P

I hope we're not going back to the <3 neko/bash neko's critiques bit again. Man, these webcomic above things cause a lot of trouble these days. When did these forums get so gosh darn emo about everything? :S
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die

User avatar
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!
Posts: 2725
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 11:35 am
Location: Hrmph.
Contact:

Post by Komiyan »

Artists have always been touchy about their work. Making the thread is a guarantee that drama will follow, but it'll also hopefully help a lot of people at the same time.
Image
Image

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

TdotOdot2k wrote:A lot of people have trouble "reviewing" their own work, or checking it for problems, etc. Just ask net, and his writing/scripts. :P

I hope we're not going back to the <3 neko/bash neko's critiques bit again. Man, these webcomic above things cause a lot of trouble these days. When did these forums get so gosh darn emo about everything? :S
We're not emo! You just don't understand us!
Image

User avatar
Dotty
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Drunk!
Contact:

Post by Dotty »

I'm leaving the internet forever! For the 20847th time! :evil:
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die

Post Reply