Betty and Veronica Get A Makeover

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
VileTerror
Anti-Villain
Posts: 3437
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:16 am
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.
Contact:

Gawd . . .

Post by VileTerror »

My head has really been in the gutter this year.
I saw "titles" as "titties" and "makeover" as "makeout".
Haughty spirit and pride make for a wild roller coaster ride!
I mean, as long as you like fairly final endings.

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Re: Gawd . . .

Post by Nyke »

VileTerror wrote:My head has really been in the gutter this year.
I saw "titles" as "titties" and "makeover" as "makeout".
Amateur, I can read "Origami" as "Orgasm".
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
TRI
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm
Contact:

Post by TRI »

Right now I'm sure there's someone in Japan figuring out how to make an origami orgasm.
ImageImageImage
"Yeah, that's the bridge pier (expletive). I thought it was the center. Oh (expletive)." ~ From the transcript of the recording device on board the ship which struck the San Franciso Bay Bridge last year, causing a 50,000 gallon oil spill.

User avatar
VileTerror
Anti-Villain
Posts: 3437
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:16 am
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.
Contact:

PHA-uh?

Post by VileTerror »

In Japan? I'll have you know I practice origami here in Canada!


. . . er, not that <i>I</i> would <b>ever</b> try to make an orgasm out of paper . . .
Haughty spirit and pride make for a wild roller coaster ride!
I mean, as long as you like fairly final endings.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

Besides me being averse to change, even for a franchise I never particularly cared for, this particular new look stings my eyes.

Archie was kinda funny because there was this guy stuck in the 50s with his weird 50s junk car and 50s clothes in some sort of personal Happy Days universe while his surroundings appeared to move on with the times without him.

I remember reading those time-filler little books (borrowed from a friend who always had new ones but never really read them) when I was 13 and thinking, Gee these would be great if someone had remembered to put some jokes in them. And then I ogled at Betty and Veronica.

(I'd choose Betty by the way)

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

The original Archie house style was created by Dan DeCarlo, one of the great cartoonists of all time.

The new style looks like it's designed by a 13 year old good trying to copy already shitty anime.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Archie was good bathroom reading.
Image

User avatar
TRI
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm
Contact:

Post by TRI »

Mr.Bob wrote:(I'd choose Betty by the way)
Fine by me. You can have Betty and I'll take Veronica.
ImageImageImage
"Yeah, that's the bridge pier (expletive). I thought it was the center. Oh (expletive)." ~ From the transcript of the recording device on board the ship which struck the San Franciso Bay Bridge last year, causing a 50,000 gallon oil spill.

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:Archie was good bathroom reading.
Because when you were done you could put it to new uses?
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

The Neko wrote:
PeppermintAfterlife wrote:Archie was good bathroom reading.
Because when you were done you could put it to new uses?
well, it has more absorbancy than the standard Sears catalogue.
Image

User avatar
TRI
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm
Contact:

Post by TRI »

I find the yellow pages work well but you have to crumple and uncrumple the pages a couple times to achive the desired softness.
ImageImageImage
"Yeah, that's the bridge pier (expletive). I thought it was the center. Oh (expletive)." ~ From the transcript of the recording device on board the ship which struck the San Franciso Bay Bridge last year, causing a 50,000 gallon oil spill.

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

TRI wrote:
Mr.Bob wrote:(I'd choose Betty by the way)
Fine by me. You can have Betty and I'll take Veronica.
To hell with them both...I'll take Cheryl Blossom. Redheads are where it's at.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Jackhass wrote:...Redheads are where it's at.
Most definitely.
Image

User avatar
Turnsky
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1488
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Devonport, Tasmania
Contact:

Post by Turnsky »

unless jughead keeps his characteristic snoot and hat, i'll be ticked off
Image
"when a hero dies, he becomes a legend, that legend, with time, becomes a myth, then a fable, that fable, is then carved in stone, and when that stone crumbles, it is lost" - Takahn.

User avatar
Cortland
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Bellevue, Neb.
Contact:

Post by Cortland »

My general reaction to this sort of thing is "ugh." The classic look for the Archie cast is a much softer, likeable style, and this new one just seems to be trying way too hard to be "cool" and "edgy." That's not what Archie is.
Image Image

User avatar
Turnsky
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1488
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Devonport, Tasmania
Contact:

Post by Turnsky »

cortland wrote:My general reaction to this sort of thing is "ugh." The classic look for the Archie cast is a much softer, likeable style, and this new one just seems to be trying way too hard to be "cool" and "edgy." That's not what Archie is.
archie was more about 50's sensibilities, kinda like "happy days" minus the fonz
Image
"when a hero dies, he becomes a legend, that legend, with time, becomes a myth, then a fable, that fable, is then carved in stone, and when that stone crumbles, it is lost" - Takahn.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

I like this style. But not with Archie.
Image

User avatar
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: Comi-what now?
Contact:

Post by Pimpette »

Aw, I always liked Archie comics. We had a giant stack of them - probably still do, somewhere.

The new style doesn't bother me - everything changes eventually, and although I am nostalgic for the old style, I haven't read Archie in so long it doesn't really matter to me that much.
Image

User avatar
Tellurider
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2051
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: in a lab doing SCIENCE!
Contact:

Post by Tellurider »

As soon as I saw it I thought "BLASPHEMY!"

I bought maybe like 10 archie comics back when I was, well, probably about 10, but it's kind of like, hey, if there's a natural progression in art, like say with Garfield, then cool. But to radically change the style of something that's looked exactly the same for so long basically screams "OH DEAR GOD WE'RE SO DESPERATE PLEASE BUY OUR COMICS WE'LL DO ANYTHING!"

As for Reggie... he only hits on the girls when it upsets Archie, if I remember right, and come on, that's just overcompensation. :wink:
Image
updates Thursdays

User avatar
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: Comi-what now?
Contact:

Post by Pimpette »

Tellurider wrote:As for Reggie... he only hits on the girls when it upsets Archie, if I remember right, and come on, that's just overcompensation. :wink:
Oh I dunno, he was always off trying to do unspeakable things to Midge when Moose wasn't looking.
Maybe he's a bit of a masochist too.

And Midge is a ho. :evil:
Image

Locked