Doomsday and the New Dimension

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Escushion
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:32 pm
Contact:

Doomsday and the New Dimension

Post by Escushion »

Scientists continue their efforts to destroy mankind

Next year a particle accelerator will turn on with hopes of creating miniature versions of the big bang. It could create miniature black holes, lead to breakthroughs in the study of dark energy (of which there's really little knowledge at the moment), and perhaps open up new dimensions we weren't previously aware of.

I for one am not too eager to make Parallel Dementia a reality (much as I love the comic.)
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.

User avatar
834n
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: A City of Rock and Roll
Contact:

Post by 834n »

Well shit. Now I need to stock up on holy weapons.

"crucial question of how matter was created at the birth of the universe"

"Dr Cox dismissed worries that by adventuring into the unknown and creating tiny black holes, the machine could even destroy the planet."

I don't care where matter came from enough to risk DESTROYING THE PLANET!

User avatar
CaptainClaude
Witty British President
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
Contact:

Post by CaptainClaude »

don't worry, prince charles will stop them.

User avatar
834n
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: A City of Rock and Roll
Contact:

Post by 834n »

No no. The portal will open, a native american in a jacket and a skirt will walk through. And he will say, "I am god. I created matter. Stop fucking around."

User avatar
Escushion
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:32 pm
Contact:

Post by Escushion »

As I was telling Ben on AIM, unless they're so high above our dimension that they can't detect us (like we can't see less than two), things in higher dimensions would already be aware of us. So it's possible that they're already screwing with our lives and this experiment will just tell us how :P.

That is, of course, outside of the idea of them simply creating a planet-destroying black hole. :roll:
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Post by Grabmygoblin »

They estimate the possibility of accidentally destroying the planet...
is calculated at about 10 to the minus 40 - a 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance.

somewhat comforting... but it does not change the fact they are TRYING TO MAKE TEENY TINY BLACK HOLES!!!
Image

User avatar
Rock_dash
NOTHING
Posts: 2363
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:37 am

Post by Rock_dash »

Science has only created misery and will continue to create more. I say we put an end to it, starting with burning all the scientists on the forums.

*gets out his vacuum cleaner and sets kolter treats up around the room*
Image

User avatar
Escushion
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:32 pm
Contact:

Post by Escushion »

These are clearly mad scientists though. Y'know, people Legostar would slouch about with.
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

Now, there's a benefit to this. One way to work the equations is that whenever a black hole is created, it also creates a new universe. This could be part of the life cycle of universes -- incubate life so intelligent that they learn how to create baby universes, and the little people destroy themselves helping the universe reproduce, no one will really care. :)
Image

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Post by Grabmygoblin »

I'm suddenly reminded of goats
Image

User avatar
CaptainClaude
Witty British President
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
Contact:

Post by CaptainClaude »

834n wrote:No no. The portal will open, a native american in a jacket and a skirt will walk through. And he will say, "I am god. I created matter. Stop fucking around."
well if they get that far, it's more likely the portal will lead directly into his bathroom. he'll be washing his back. THEN he'll say "I am god. I created matter. Stop fucking around."

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

WHERE ARE TEH RADIOACITVE THINGS, DAMN IT

Post by Cope »

Can't they accidentally give people superpowers at least once before they destroy the world?
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
Rock_dash
NOTHING
Posts: 2363
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:37 am

Post by Rock_dash »

ryclaude wrote:
834n wrote:No no. The portal will open, a native american in a jacket and a skirt will walk through. And he will say, "I am god. I created matter. Stop fucking around."
well if they get that far, it's more likely the portal will lead directly into his bathroom. he'll be washing his back. THEN he'll say "I am god. I created matter. Stop fucking around."
Only, he'll look like something different to each scientist. So one might see a bearded old guy in a robe, one might see an empty bathroom, and the third might see a giant ear of corn scrubbing it's back and saying, "I am god. I created matter, stop fucking around."
Image

User avatar
Cat42
Emo
Posts: 2010
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:21 am
Location: "Working" on Transitions. (and Confabulation)
Contact:

Post by Cat42 »

grabmygoblin wrote:I'm suddenly reminded of goats
I'm reminded about how Pariah fucked up existence in Crisis on Infinate Earths.
Someday, someday I'll finish Confabulation. That day is not today, however.
Read my textual nonsense! » My weekly updated animation thread! « Watch my visual nonsense!

User avatar
Crazy Chris
Regular Poster
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Laca
Contact:

Post by Crazy Chris »

I'm reminded of the Futurama episode where the universe was in a box.

I don't know that much sci-fi.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

rock_dash wrote:Science has only created misery and will continue to create more. I say we put an end to it, starting with burning all the scientists on the forums.

*gets out his vacuum cleaner and sets kolter treats up around the room*
*zots rock*

*eats treats*

*destroys the world*
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Tim
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: State of WA, formerly MA
Contact:

Post by Tim »

To solve a problem they couldn't solve before with a gigantic machine that made big explosions, scientists create an even more gigantic machine to make bigger explosions.

Sounds about right. ;)
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

*Vacuums Rkolter*
*adds some methane to the bag*
*lits a match...*

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

The Invisibles told us this was going to happen, but we didn't believe them!
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Instudios
Regular Poster
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:04 pm
Location: A nice little apartment at the center of the sun.
Contact:

GGGGWWWWWAAAARRRRRRG!

Post by Instudios »

I for one welcome the destruction of earth. I will laugh and laugh as I sit in my little apartment in the center of the sun.
The alter-ego

Locked