Shuttle launch in just a few minutes!

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Shuttle launch in just a few minutes!

Post by Rkolter »

*SQUEEEEEEEEEEE*

*watches NASA live TV*
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Thy're retracting the arm!

Whohoo!
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 3182
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:56 pm
Location: How the hell should I know? I just live here...
Contact:

Post by KittyKatBlack »

You have got to be one of the most easily entertained people I've ever met. And this is coming from someone who gets distracted by shiny colored buttons...

User avatar
Christwriter
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1915
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:56 am

Post by Christwriter »

I WATCHED THE LAUNCH!!!!

SO. FREAKING. COOL.

CW
"Remember that the definition of an adventure is someone else having a hell of a hard time a thousand miles away."
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04

Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.

<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com"> Image</a>
<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.

User avatar
Mon Ami
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:27 pm
Location: Bringing on the PAIN
Contact:

Post by Mon Ami »

I cannot watch it :~:
Image

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

That was TODAY?
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3269
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Contact:

Post by Laemkral »

*ksssh* Uh, Houston? We're having a problem out here. Requesting advice. *ksssh*

Shuttle, what issues are you having?

*ksssh* Well, there's a giant ball of light floating right outside the cockpit, and it's holding a sign that says "Go science!!". *kssh*
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.

Czar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:37 am
Location: Wandering.

Post by Czar »

Laemkral wrote:*ksssh* Uh, Houston? We're having a problem out here. Requesting advice. *ksssh*

Shuttle, what issues are you having?

*ksssh* Well, there's a giant ball of light floating right outside the cockpit, and it's holding a sign that says "Go science!!". *kssh*
What? Not asking for autographs?
Så länge skutan kan gå, så länge hjärtat kan slå, så länge solen den glittrar på böljorna blå...

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Laemkral wrote:*ksssh* Uh, Houston? We're having a problem out here. Requesting advice. *ksssh*

Shuttle, what issues are you having?

*ksssh* Well, there's a giant ball of light floating right outside the cockpit, and it's holding a sign that says "Go science!!". *kssh*
:lol:

I'd do that too...
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

KittyKatBlack wrote:You have got to be one of the most easily entertained people I've ever met. And this is coming from someone who gets distracted by shiny colored buttons...
rkolter? Easily entertained? Naaaa. XD
Image
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Entertained... ENTERTAINED?!

That purple menace was trying to eat my BRAIN! :cry:
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Doll
Regular Poster
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Post by Doll »

*has William Shatner's performance of Rocket Man stuck in her head*

Now look what you've done!!!
Image

User avatar
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Fraggle Rock
Contact:

Post by Garneta »

Haha! I must've missed seeing him with the thing on his head while we were there!
Image
Image Image Image

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

rkolter wrote:Entertained... ENTERTAINED?!

That purple menace was trying to eat my BRAIN! :cry:
But...I mean, what's NOT entertaining about having your brain eaten? It's not at all boring, anyway! :D
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

Man, a shuttle, missiles, AND fireworks all in the same day! Holy Shit!
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

The Neko wrote:Man, a shuttle, missiles, AND fireworks all in the same day! Holy Shit!
Scary, scary missles. :cry:
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

The shuttle launch on Superman was more fun.

You know, by virtue of being entirely fake.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Cat42
Emo
Posts: 2010
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:21 am
Location: "Working" on Transitions. (and Confabulation)
Contact:

Post by Cat42 »

There was a shuttle launch and a missile scare yesterday?

I am really out of it when it comes to this damn planet...

EDIT++++
Question for RKolter, or whoever else might be able to explain it:
I just read an article that said the Columbia Exploded in 2003 because foam fell off of it. I'm wondering how this could work, and what for, and why are they using foam if it's causing them problems?

FURTHER ANNOTATION:
(As if my question wasn't long enough) what is the fesability of a shuttle launch in the style of what they did in Superman Returns, and why don't they do that?
Someday, someday I'll finish Confabulation. That day is not today, however.
Read my textual nonsense! » My weekly updated animation thread! « Watch my visual nonsense!

Czar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:37 am
Location: Wandering.

Post by Czar »

cat42 wrote:There was a shuttle launch and a missile scare yesterday?

I am really out of it when it comes to this damn planet...

EDIT++++
Question for RKolter, or whoever else might be able to explain it:
I just read an article that said the Columbia Exploded in 2003 because foam fell off of it. I'm wondering how this could work, and what for, and why are they using foam if it's causing them problems?
Discovery launched, first shuttle launch since Columbia went kablooie (sorry for the disrespect) unless I'm mistaken. Mission is to place a german astronaut on ISS, bringing the crew up to three for the first time since Columbia went down in flames. They're also to test the possibility of making repairs on the shuttle while in space.
North Korea has test fired seven (or is that eight now?) missiles today, one of which had long range capacity (whatever that means).

Damage to Columbia that caused the explosion is believed to be because a bit of foam damaged the heatshield, which consists of thousands and thousands of pieces of ceramic tiles. One of these get damaged or slightly moved out of place, you get uneven heating during reentry with the potential for catastrophic damage following. If you can check prior to reentry if any tiles are damaged, and replace any damaged tiles, you should be able to prevent such mishaps in the future (and if they see any such damage on the Discovery (which they are unable to repair safely), every astronaut onboard is riding this one out on the ISS 'til the Russians can bring them down in the time honoured, aged (not to say ancient!) Sojuz vehicles. All to prevent another incident.

The foam is needed as insulation for the fueltanks, as far as I know. Liquid hydrogen and oxygen in the big tank I believe. You don't want to skimp on the insulation for that stuff, kind of explosive and needs to be kept cold.
The booster rockets are also something you don't want to skimp on the insulation for.

EDIT: Haven't seen Superman returns, don't intend to until its on TV. Can't answer that question without more info.
Tentative answer: Because it's fiction?
Så länge skutan kan gå, så länge hjärtat kan slå, så länge solen den glittrar på böljorna blå...

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

cat42 wrote:There was a shuttle launch and a missile scare yesterday?
Yeah, the north koreans tried to steal our thunder.
Question for RKolter, or whoever else might be able to explain it:
I just read an article that said the Columbia Exploded in 2003 because foam fell off of it. I'm wondering how this could work, and what for, and why are they using foam if it's causing them problems?
(Edit: Rkolter got an answer in while I was typing mine, and his is more correct. I thought the foam and heat tiles were one and the same. :) Bad answer deleted because it's confusing people. ;) )

Someone else will have to talk to the Superman Returns thing, I haven't seen it yet.
Last edited by RemusShepherd on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Locked