Pixar: 20 Years of Animation

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Zhora
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:25 pm
Contact:

Post by Zhora »

I'll take a wait and see approach, without holding my breath.
<a href="http://seekerlets.comicgenesis.com/">House of a Thousand Seekerlets</a>
- where even giant alien robots need daycare!

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Disney buying Pixar definitely looks like it could be a good move in the right direction for the animation business...oh, and damn...7.4 billion dollars? I know Pixar makes good movies and all, but 7.4 billion dollars for a single animation studio? They must have been selling more Toy Story dolls than we could have possibly imagined if they think they're worth that much.

Oh, and Cars looks like it will be just fine...it won't be an Incredibles or Toy Story, it will be more at the level of a "Bugs Life" or "Monsters Inc"...which is still better than most of the other CG cartoons coming out.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

Eh, A Bug's Life. The only Pixar film I was thouroughly unimpressed with. I see no need to lump the spectacular Monster's, Inc. in there with it, tho'. :P
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Starline
Regular Poster
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:43 pm
Location: Miami, Fl

Post by Starline »

Image

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

Mercury Hat wrote:The rumors I've seen are that Lasseter wants to see about reopening the 2d animation studio at Disney. A person who loves animation in charge of a huge animation studio? I'm definitely hopeful for what may come from this. He's already scrapped the idea for Toy Stoy 3, I can't wait for what might come next :D.

A lot of people in animation are actually giddy over this whole thing.
do you know which 2d studio merc? *hopes its the burbank one*
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Escushion
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:32 pm
Contact:

Post by Escushion »

Jackhass wrote:Disney buying Pixar definitely looks like it could be a good move in the right direction for the animation business...oh, and damn...7.4 billion dollars? I know Pixar makes good movies and all, but 7.4 billion dollars for a single animation studio? They must have been selling more Toy Story dolls than we could have possibly imagined if they think they're worth that much.

Oh, and Cars looks like it will be just fine...it won't be an Incredibles or Toy Story, it will be more at the level of a "Bugs Life" or "Monsters Inc"...which is still better than most of the other CG cartoons coming out.
It's a matter of stock value. A single Pixar stock is worth more than a single Disney stock (or was...) The Pixar movies alone have made over half that purchase price; that's not counting merchandise at all. And there's been a lot of merchandise.
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Jim North wrote:Eh, A Bug's Life. The only Pixar film I was thouroughly unimpressed with. I see no need to lump the spectacular Monster's, Inc. in there with it, tho'. :P
I agree with Jim.

User avatar
Ignacio
Regular Poster
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:44 am
Location: Paramount, CA
Contact:

Post by Ignacio »

Mercury Hat wrote:The rumors I've seen are that Lasseter wants to see about reopening the 2d animation studio at Disney. A person who loves animation in charge of a huge animation studio? I'm definitely hopeful for what may come from this. He's already scrapped the idea for Toy Stoy 3, I can't wait for what might come next :D.

A lot of people in animation are actually giddy over this whole thing.
No kidding. I had my character animation class the morning of the merger, and my professor Sue Kroyer was singing like the heavens opened up. Sue is Bill Kroyer's wife [lead animator at Rhythm and Hues] and she was trained by one of the nine old men of Disney. She's just waiting now for the news that traditional animators be hired once more. There were a lot of people at the animation department excited that day.

I think people should be careful about the Lassiter-2D thing though. yes, lassiter made his thesis in 2d, AND he did say he'd be willing to make another traditional movie. Everyone keeps leaving out that he said it only on the condition that they write an appropriate story for 2D animation, whatever that means. So basically, if there's a story that calls for 2D, the Pixar's more than willing to do it.

THe fact that Lassiter is head of the creative department now is amazing news, but there's one big question remaining: is he gonna be spread too thin? I respect Lassiter a lot, but they didn't just put him in charge of animation, they put him at the head of ALL creative works at Disney. My biggest concern is that if he doesn't figure out a way to delegate all the responsibilities, will he end up getting further and further away from what he loves to do most, animation itself? i hope not. I have my fingers crossed.
Image
Stay frosty

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Jim North wrote:Eh, A Bug's Life. The only Pixar film I was thouroughly unimpressed with. I see no need to lump the spectacular Monster's, Inc. in there with it, tho'. :P
I actually liked a Bug's Life more than Monster's Inc...so THERE.

Neither are bad movies though, they're both good stuff...just not fabulous groundbreaking stuff like some of Pixar's other work.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Escushion
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2258
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:32 pm
Contact:

Post by Escushion »

Jackhass wrote:
Jim North wrote:Eh, A Bug's Life. The only Pixar film I was thouroughly unimpressed with. I see no need to lump the spectacular Monster's, Inc. in there with it, tho'. :P
I actually liked a Bug's Life more than Monster's Inc...so THERE.

Neither are bad movies though, they're both good stuff...just not fabulous groundbreaking stuff like some of Pixar's other work.
In trying to pick which Pixar film is "worst," I fail, because they're all too damn good :P.
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.

Jen_Babcock
Regular Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles/ New York City

Post by Jen_Babcock »

I think Bug's Life is Pixar's "worst"- doesn't mean it's a bad movie though.
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

I just got back from the exhibit. I was very impressed by the artwork they had. My favorite was the amazing animatics they showed from The Incredibles.

In general, it just reminds me how horribly inadequate I am as an artist, and I really question my creativity these days...
jag saknar självförtroende

Jen_Babcock
Regular Poster
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles/ New York City

Post by Jen_Babcock »

The Neko wrote:I just got back from the exhibit. I was very impressed by the artwork they had. My favorite was the amazing animatics they showed from The Incredibles.

In general, it just reminds me how horribly inadequate I am as an artist, and I really question my creativity these days...
I was there again today too- it was really crowded (I know they were screening Finding Nemo at 2 pm so that's probably why).

It makes me question my ability as well. Did you get the catalogue? It has a nice selection of drawings and maquettes.
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

I got the book that had a good majority of the artwork scanned in. It's really nice. I wish they had a DVD of the animatics and the interviews with the artists.

Yeah, it was fucking crowded as hell. There were tons of small children there, and a lot of them were crying when they were startled by imagery they couldn't really understand, that and the sudden reveal of the lantern fish in that one exhibit. I could have done without the children there. Weird, we might have passed each other and not even known. XD
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

mcDuffies wrote:I agree with Jim.
Are you trying to make the universe implode?! :P
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

Post Reply