Pixar: 20 Years of Animation
I'll take a wait and see approach, without holding my breath.
<a href="http://seekerlets.comicgenesis.com/">House of a Thousand Seekerlets</a>
- where even giant alien robots need daycare!
- where even giant alien robots need daycare!
- Jackhass
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3243
- Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
- Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.
Disney buying Pixar definitely looks like it could be a good move in the right direction for the animation business...oh, and damn...7.4 billion dollars? I know Pixar makes good movies and all, but 7.4 billion dollars for a single animation studio? They must have been selling more Toy Story dolls than we could have possibly imagined if they think they're worth that much.
Oh, and Cars looks like it will be just fine...it won't be an Incredibles or Toy Story, it will be more at the level of a "Bugs Life" or "Monsters Inc"...which is still better than most of the other CG cartoons coming out.
Oh, and Cars looks like it will be just fine...it won't be an Incredibles or Toy Story, it will be more at the level of a "Bugs Life" or "Monsters Inc"...which is still better than most of the other CG cartoons coming out.
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
do you know which 2d studio merc? *hopes its the burbank one*Mercury Hat wrote:The rumors I've seen are that Lasseter wants to see about reopening the 2d animation studio at Disney. A person who loves animation in charge of a huge animation studio? I'm definitely hopeful for what may come from this. He's already scrapped the idea for Toy Stoy 3, I can't wait for what might come next.
A lot of people in animation are actually giddy over this whole thing.
It's a matter of stock value. A single Pixar stock is worth more than a single Disney stock (or was...) The Pixar movies alone have made over half that purchase price; that's not counting merchandise at all. And there's been a lot of merchandise.Jackhass wrote:Disney buying Pixar definitely looks like it could be a good move in the right direction for the animation business...oh, and damn...7.4 billion dollars? I know Pixar makes good movies and all, but 7.4 billion dollars for a single animation studio? They must have been selling more Toy Story dolls than we could have possibly imagined if they think they're worth that much.
Oh, and Cars looks like it will be just fine...it won't be an Incredibles or Toy Story, it will be more at the level of a "Bugs Life" or "Monsters Inc"...which is still better than most of the other CG cartoons coming out.
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.
No kidding. I had my character animation class the morning of the merger, and my professor Sue Kroyer was singing like the heavens opened up. Sue is Bill Kroyer's wife [lead animator at Rhythm and Hues] and she was trained by one of the nine old men of Disney. She's just waiting now for the news that traditional animators be hired once more. There were a lot of people at the animation department excited that day.Mercury Hat wrote:The rumors I've seen are that Lasseter wants to see about reopening the 2d animation studio at Disney. A person who loves animation in charge of a huge animation studio? I'm definitely hopeful for what may come from this. He's already scrapped the idea for Toy Stoy 3, I can't wait for what might come next.
A lot of people in animation are actually giddy over this whole thing.
I think people should be careful about the Lassiter-2D thing though. yes, lassiter made his thesis in 2d, AND he did say he'd be willing to make another traditional movie. Everyone keeps leaving out that he said it only on the condition that they write an appropriate story for 2D animation, whatever that means. So basically, if there's a story that calls for 2D, the Pixar's more than willing to do it.
THe fact that Lassiter is head of the creative department now is amazing news, but there's one big question remaining: is he gonna be spread too thin? I respect Lassiter a lot, but they didn't just put him in charge of animation, they put him at the head of ALL creative works at Disney. My biggest concern is that if he doesn't figure out a way to delegate all the responsibilities, will he end up getting further and further away from what he loves to do most, animation itself? i hope not. I have my fingers crossed.
- Jackhass
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3243
- Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
- Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.
I actually liked a Bug's Life more than Monster's Inc...so THERE.Jim North wrote:Eh, A Bug's Life. The only Pixar film I was thouroughly unimpressed with. I see no need to lump the spectacular Monster's, Inc. in there with it, tho'.
Neither are bad movies though, they're both good stuff...just not fabulous groundbreaking stuff like some of Pixar's other work.
In trying to pick which Pixar film is "worst," I fail, because they're all too damn goodJackhass wrote:I actually liked a Bug's Life more than Monster's Inc...so THERE.Jim North wrote:Eh, A Bug's Life. The only Pixar film I was thouroughly unimpressed with. I see no need to lump the spectacular Monster's, Inc. in there with it, tho'.
Neither are bad movies though, they're both good stuff...just not fabulous groundbreaking stuff like some of Pixar's other work.
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.
-
Jen_Babcock
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 649
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
- Location: Los Angeles/ New York City
- The Neko
- A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
- Posts: 3878
- Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
- Location: New York City
I just got back from the exhibit. I was very impressed by the artwork they had. My favorite was the amazing animatics they showed from The Incredibles.
In general, it just reminds me how horribly inadequate I am as an artist, and I really question my creativity these days...
In general, it just reminds me how horribly inadequate I am as an artist, and I really question my creativity these days...
jag saknar självförtroende
-
Jen_Babcock
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 649
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:02 pm
- Location: Los Angeles/ New York City
I was there again today too- it was really crowded (I know they were screening Finding Nemo at 2 pm so that's probably why).The Neko wrote:I just got back from the exhibit. I was very impressed by the artwork they had. My favorite was the amazing animatics they showed from The Incredibles.
In general, it just reminds me how horribly inadequate I am as an artist, and I really question my creativity these days...
It makes me question my ability as well. Did you get the catalogue? It has a nice selection of drawings and maquettes.
- The Neko
- A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
- Posts: 3878
- Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
- Location: New York City
I got the book that had a good majority of the artwork scanned in. It's really nice. I wish they had a DVD of the animatics and the interviews with the artists.
Yeah, it was fucking crowded as hell. There were tons of small children there, and a lot of them were crying when they were startled by imagery they couldn't really understand, that and the sudden reveal of the lantern fish in that one exhibit. I could have done without the children there. Weird, we might have passed each other and not even known.
Yeah, it was fucking crowded as hell. There were tons of small children there, and a lot of them were crying when they were startled by imagery they couldn't really understand, that and the sudden reveal of the lantern fish in that one exhibit. I could have done without the children there. Weird, we might have passed each other and not even known.
jag saknar självförtroende







