Starship Troopers vs. Starcraft

Discussion of the comic "Somewhere I Belong" and anything else deemed awesome.

What do you think?

Yes.
33%
No.
67%

Total votes: 3

LingTong

Starship Troopers vs. Starcraft

Post by LingTong »

A bit of a foreword before I continue: A long time ago, Tam brought up an interesting note that if I ever wanted to see a movie about Starcraft, Starship Troopers was pretty close. I agreed having seen it many times before. But now we've reached a discussion point.

Today the comparison was made by Tam that the movie resembled the last level of the Terran campaign in that when the UED force captured the overmind, it resembled the Federation MI capturing the brain bug of planet P.

After agreeing on some points I put out that it wasn't exactly like the Overmind since... well this is basically the debate. So I'll let Tam go first. Remember our subject: Does the last level of the Terran campaign in Starcraft resemble Starship Troopers in its entirety? Let us begin. :twisted:

Zhongda
Regular Poster

Post by Zhongda »

I am right and you know it.

Overmind = Brain Bug in the sense that the main antagonist bug of both storylines were captured and pacified for human use.

The ending of the Terran campaign in Brood Wars also plays out just like the Starship Troopers campaign, minus the rugged good looks of Casper Van Dien, no homo, but I guess if you add in Jim Raynor, then that point would be moot.

There are plenty of other similarities, but the Overmind=Brain Bug is more definite than Cerebrate=Brain Bug!

LingTong

Post by LingTong »

There he goes making ridiculous assumptions about being right.

As I'll continue to point out, the Terran campaign features an Overmind which RULES over the cerebrates. The Brain Bug WAS NOT the main antagonist. Rather the entire race of arachnids was along with some more in depth look at the gruesome world of the Federation but that's off topic.

The Brain Bug is more appropriately contrasted against the cerebrates of the Starcraft world simply because of the fact that the movie states the probability of so many more existing. If we were to compare the idea that the Overmind was similar to the Brain Bug you'd have to have some sort of lower caste underneath the Brain Bug but higher than your average Arachnid warrior.

Additionally, no drugs and/or tranquilizers were used in the capture of the Brain Bug (in Starcraft, medics are used to inject the needed chemicals). Also of importance, Casper Van Dien, while the hero, did not capture the Brain Bug. He was too busy saving his ex-girlfriend (WTF? Why bother?) and that is why Private Zim (formerly Career Sergeant Zim) captured it.

My logic is, while not infallible, quite thorough. 8-)

Zhongda
Regular Poster

Post by Zhongda »

(there is not enough of a message board audience to make this debate look stunningly compelling! go campaign or something?)

Here's something to think about....

Overmind = Brain Bug

Infested Kerrigan = the rest of the bugs

LingTong

Post by LingTong »

(Hey that's your fault. You advertise. I'm just here to make debate.)

Overmind = unseen caste in Starship Troopers.

Cerebrate = Brain Bug

Kerrigan = ...she doesn't fit in the movie.

Besides, zerglings would be a more accurate depiction of the Arachnids.

Zhongda
Regular Poster

Post by Zhongda »

I disagree on the Overmind being an unseen caste.

If you remember, the Overmind was a well-seen caste, being a unit that was larger than the Zerg Hive building, and there are even two stages involving all three Starcraft races!

Tyras
Regular Poster

Post by Tyras »

Wooo am I late? I said no, because Starship Troopers didn't have the Protoss, or, if I recall correctly, is there a Starship Troopers equivelent of Infested Kerrigan. It's been a while sence I played that particular mission, but I think the Starcraft plot was simply more complex.

Zhongda
Regular Poster

Post by Zhongda »

Definitely late!

But yeah, Kerrigan totally fits in the movie, except she is represented as two characters!

1) That one chick who the main protagonist used as a rebound girlfriend after Denise Richards totally dumped his butt. Her death coincides with that if Kerrigan's demise in Starcraft.

2) That one dude who Denise Richards dumped the male protagonist for, represented the infestation of Kerrigan, sorta like in the sense how Kerrigan became a Zerg after being infested, and the dude got his brains sucked out.

Correlation, or correlacorrection? I think so.

Imperial_Magician

Post by Imperial_Magician »

*cough* Much lateness but I wanted to flaunt my knowledge by saying that the Movie Starship Troopers was based of a Robert A. Heinlein Book of the same name, that said;

Woe is me that I have never played Starcraft :cry:
not actually a magician!

For Pony

Laurence

Re:

Post by Laurence »

Tyras wrote:Wooo am I late? I said no, because Starship Troopers didn't have the Protoss, or, if I recall correctly, is there a Starship Troopers equivelent of Infested Kerrigan. It's been a while sence I played that particular mission, but I think the Starcraft plot was simply more complex.
I agree...Starcraft plot is a bit more complex... :o