Anyone familar with the Hero System?
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
Anyone familar with the Hero System?
I've got some of the books and the hero designer and it looks cool, but I've never had the chance to try the mechanics.
On the other hand, I don't really have the time for another full game.
On the other hand, I don't really have the time for another full game.
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Seems interesting enough. I might have seen a sourcebook for it at my local game store, I'm not sure.
At any rate, I've already got a copy of Nobilis on the way here, so I'm sure that will eat up most of my free time for a while. I may give HERO a look later on, though.
At any rate, I've already got a copy of Nobilis on the way here, so I'm sure that will eat up most of my free time for a while. I may give HERO a look later on, though.
"I'm a weatherman, I don't believe in fate."
--Randall Stevens
My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.
Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
--Randall Stevens
My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.
Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
- Thunderhowl
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 535
- Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:33 am
- Location: in the Hospitality Mines
- Contact:
HERO is one of those systems where your character is only limited by your knowledge of the system and your imagination. I think it's what every points based game wants to be when it grows up.
I was in a regular Champions game using the HERO system and it's very comprehensive, but it's also very involved. I have friends who, since trying the HERO system would rather use it than ANY other system, and are willing to spend literal days on conversions to make it work.
It's hard to learn, but once you have it down, all other systems start looking basic and incomplete. Keeping all that in mind, I've played that system for about a year, and I still can't make my own character without help. And a calculator.
Also, their main rulebook will stop a .22 caliber bullet...there was a link to a test firing on their website for a while. Seriously.
Nobilis is cool, but I've never had a game that played like their playtest examples. Ever. It's a cool game, but unless your group is SUPER sharp, there will be awkward pauses in that game. It's on the far extreme actor side of the roleplayer chart, far far from the rules-lawyer side of the chart. Not that that's a bad thing, but anyone who needs a few hard rules to a game (like me) can feel lost playing Nobilis. Nobilis is what every storyteller (not Storyteller) game wants to be when it grows up.
I was in a regular Champions game using the HERO system and it's very comprehensive, but it's also very involved. I have friends who, since trying the HERO system would rather use it than ANY other system, and are willing to spend literal days on conversions to make it work.
It's hard to learn, but once you have it down, all other systems start looking basic and incomplete. Keeping all that in mind, I've played that system for about a year, and I still can't make my own character without help. And a calculator.
Also, their main rulebook will stop a .22 caliber bullet...there was a link to a test firing on their website for a while. Seriously.
Nobilis is cool, but I've never had a game that played like their playtest examples. Ever. It's a cool game, but unless your group is SUPER sharp, there will be awkward pauses in that game. It's on the far extreme actor side of the roleplayer chart, far far from the rules-lawyer side of the chart. Not that that's a bad thing, but anyone who needs a few hard rules to a game (like me) can feel lost playing Nobilis. Nobilis is what every storyteller (not Storyteller) game wants to be when it grows up.
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
Dustman: Hero is very detail-oriented, from what I can see. On the plus side, the Star Hero book has tables for galaxy creation, right down to planet type.
Thunderhowl: I use the character creation software. Very easy. It's fun to create character sketches for possible use.
Yeah, I saw the 'bulletproof' video.
Hmm...Would anyone be willing to run a short game with a possibility of more? One of my games just crashed and one of the others is a short playtest.
Thunderhowl: I use the character creation software. Very easy. It's fun to create character sketches for possible use.
Yeah, I saw the 'bulletproof' video.
Hmm...Would anyone be willing to run a short game with a possibility of more? One of my games just crashed and one of the others is a short playtest.
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Is there an SRD or anything for the Hero system? I'll give any system a try or two, if I can get enough info to put a character together, and I'm guessing Desolation Land is the short play-test.
Plus, a table for designing galaxies sounds absolutely delectable.
*Starstruck Anime Face*
Plus, a table for designing galaxies sounds absolutely delectable.
*Starstruck Anime Face*
"I'm a weatherman, I don't believe in fate."
--Randall Stevens
My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.
Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
--Randall Stevens
My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.
Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
Er, no...The short playtest is on another forum - Although I'll try to keep Desolation Land from getting into boredom-land.
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
- DM_Topher
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 42
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:45 am
- Location: South Jersey (near Philly)
- Contact:
hero - AKA Champions
I've almost exclusively played Hero and D & D for the last 15 years. Hero is nice because it can easily be adapted to virtually any genre or power level. It started out as a superhero system but here's just a smattering of the games I've run or played in:
Star Trek-esque game (using Starfleet Battles for space combat)
Post-apocalyptic survivors with advanced tech
The Hex Files - paranormal investigation team with low-level powers
Fantasy Hero - D & D, effectively
Ultra-high powered hero game - I was a toon squirrel
And numerous superhero games. Many of those.
It's been hard to find superhero gamers in my area for some reason... I'm running the Hex Files campaign right now (just restarted it last night, coincidentally)
It's fun... some people have issue with the system because its point-based... and while it can be a pain to crunch numbers to get exactly the power you want, it keeps the game balanced and is probably the most technically accurate combat system out there.
If anyone needs suggestions, ideas, help, etc. with Hero System drop me a line. I have a lot of experience and references.
Star Trek-esque game (using Starfleet Battles for space combat)
Post-apocalyptic survivors with advanced tech
The Hex Files - paranormal investigation team with low-level powers
Fantasy Hero - D & D, effectively
Ultra-high powered hero game - I was a toon squirrel
And numerous superhero games. Many of those.
It's been hard to find superhero gamers in my area for some reason... I'm running the Hex Files campaign right now (just restarted it last night, coincidentally)
It's fun... some people have issue with the system because its point-based... and while it can be a pain to crunch numbers to get exactly the power you want, it keeps the game balanced and is probably the most technically accurate combat system out there.
If anyone needs suggestions, ideas, help, etc. with Hero System drop me a line. I have a lot of experience and references.
Doc Ock in the house, baby!
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
The rules seem easier than trying to play a D&D wizard - Although I'm not sure how reasuring that is.
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
-
Al Ray
- Newbie
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:49 am
- Location: Somewhere in the Wilds of Michigan
- Contact:
I have a little experiance with the Hero system, mainly Champions with a little bit of Pulb Hero mixed in. Its a ssytem that allows for all the crazy idea, both in conpsets and in actually game actions. However, it one of those games that you absoutle need a vetern of the systems in order to do things rights, especally during character creation. After that it's actully rather simple, which I like alot.
There are two things that are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity- Albert Einstien

