Sketchbook Sundays!

A forum for fans of the Weregeek comic and of all things Geek.

Postby TigerDawn on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:15 pm

Totaly fluffy, in so many ways.
TigerDawn
Regular Poster

Postby Dustman on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:15 pm

@Tom: Mmm... Saskatoon, right?

Also, ewok pyromancer = win.
"I'm a weatherman, I don't believe in fate."
--Randall Stevens

My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.

Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
Dustman
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:30 pm

'Yub. Yub-Yub. Yubitty. Yubble-Yub.'

'Now watch closely, class. Today we are about to cover an important topic - Making fire. Making fire is potentially dangerous and should not be attempted without adult supervision. First, you will need a #2 flint and steel.'
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby One post wonder on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:03 pm

How ironic that your 666th post be about fire, Narf.
My name made sense when I first thought it up.

I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
One post wonder
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:28 pm

...I just had another 666th post on another forum. I'm getting scared now...

...NOT SCARED! ANGRY! NARF CRUSH! NARF DESTROY! NARF SPIN HEAD AROUND!

...Why is everyone looking at me like that?
I have a livejournal

'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Al Ray on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:04 pm

Gee Narf, It couldn't be the pea soup vomit you have been spewing over us. In toher news, I'm back ofter a long hiatus. It seems I have the hibernation all backwards. I do it in hte summer :)
There are two things that are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity- Albert Einstien
Al Ray

Postby Alina P on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:35 pm

Dug up some more old Weregeek concept sketches. This is a very early, very differently stylized Mark. I did a lot of playing around with different styles before I settled on something that was both cartoony and expressive, but simplified enough that I could crank out three strips a week and still have enough time to color 'em all.

Man, did I ever make his nose pointy!! Yikes.

Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:18 pm

Looks like a more angsty Mark too.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Alina P on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:45 am

More early sketches of the characters. Dustin's starting to come together (though why I thought he needed black hair I'll never know), as is Sarah, but everyone else is still pretty, well, sketchy. Especially Mark and Joel. I'm sooo glad I didn't stick with those two designs.

Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Alina P on Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:28 pm

More early Weregeek sketches. I must have already been planning on a Star Wars storyline, because Dustin has the whole Jedi Knight thing going on, complete with dramatic camera angle.

The text at the top, by Egon Spengler Joel, says: "wtf is up with my hair??" and the little chibi version of me is saying, "You know, like the guy from Ghostbusters?? ...I thought it was cool..." I often do little comments like that on my own drawings, and they're always hilarious to go back and re-read when I find them again.

Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Alina P on Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:53 am

These are some early designs for the shadowy Weregeek form. I hit on the right concept pretty much right off the bat, but then played around with some really weird designs, including one where Abbie's shadow form had crazy spikes coming of her head. Once things got to -that- level of weirdness, I shook my head and decided I'd liked the original design best. And here are the first few sketches, plus a bonus one of an early Hunter design that looks far more anime than I had intended. (I think it's the face scarf...)

Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Alina P on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:35 pm

This is what has been keeping me busy lately - concept art! I spent a few weeks putting together a new portfolio, and this is an in-progress environment piece. I gave myself 15 minutes to do the sketches, and 30 minutes for slapping some colors on it. One thing I've noticed is that aside from being a ton of fun, doing this comic has -really- improved my speed coloring. Huh. Imagine that. Coloring in Photoshop <i>every day</i> makes you better at coloring in Photoshop...

Alina P
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:11 pm

Pretty. Especially the fire one.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Lunaroki on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:22 pm

That cave kinda reminds me of Totosai's first cave from Inuyasha, except the fire's inside the cave rather than outside.
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
Lunaroki
Regular Poster

Postby One post wonder on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:13 pm

I want to see a Ghost Buster RPG now... Ooh! Better yet, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! Though I doubt anyone else would even remember the Killer Tomatoes... But, yeah. The sketches that make Joel seem awkward always get a laugh from me.

One post wonder
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:37 am

I remember seeing Attack of the Killer Tomatoes as a kid. Don't remember much of it, though.
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:02 am

I had a Killer tomato costume back in Middle school.

Palladium's Beyond the Supernatural actually had the rules to create the Ghostbusters in their setting.I think they had a class set aside for it.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Lunaroki on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:59 am

"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!" Are you guys talking about the original live-action movie (and it's sequels "Return of the Killer Tomatoes!", "Killer Tomatoes Strike Back!" and "Killer Tomatoes Eat France!") or are you talking about the cartoon "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Series", which was actually based more on "Return of the Killer Tomatoes!" than the original movie? Personally I've seen the ends of the first two movies and almost all of the cartoon series. An RPG based around that theme might be fun. A nice campy send-up with lots of bizarre twists and the most vicious tomatoes you ever saw. XD
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
Lunaroki
Regular Poster

Postby Narf the Mouse on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:57 pm

...You just had to roll 20 on your knowledge check, didn't you?
I have a livejournal

Narf the Mouse
Cartoon Hero

Postby One post wonder on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:29 am

Lol, indeed he out geeked us all there... But I do like the idea of all new tomatoes... Perhaps other veggies too! Toss some killer lettuce, perhaps an evil onion or two, and have a whole killer salad! It's out there... I can smell the blue cheese dressing.

One post wonder
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Weregeek