Sketchbook Sundays!
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
'Yub. Yub-Yub. Yubitty. Yubble-Yub.'
'Now watch closely, class. Today we are about to cover an important topic - Making fire. Making fire is potentially dangerous and should not be attempted without adult supervision. First, you will need a #2 flint and steel.'
'Now watch closely, class. Today we are about to cover an important topic - Making fire. Making fire is potentially dangerous and should not be attempted without adult supervision. First, you will need a #2 flint and steel.'
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
- One post wonder
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 215
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 11:47 pm
- Location: Where snakes, scorpions, and Alice Cooper lurk.
- Contact:
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
...I just had another 666th post on another forum. I'm getting scared now...
...NOT SCARED! ANGRY! NARF CRUSH! NARF DESTROY! NARF SPIN HEAD AROUND!
...Why is everyone looking at me like that?
...NOT SCARED! ANGRY! NARF CRUSH! NARF DESTROY! NARF SPIN HEAD AROUND!
...Why is everyone looking at me like that?
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Dug up some more old Weregeek concept sketches. This is a very early, very differently stylized Mark. I did a lot of playing around with different styles before I settled on something that was both cartoony and expressive, but simplified enough that I could crank out three strips a week and still have enough time to color 'em all.
Man, did I ever make his nose pointy!! Yikes.

Man, did I ever make his nose pointy!! Yikes.

-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
Looks like a more angsty Mark too.
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
More early Weregeek sketches. I must have already been planning on a Star Wars storyline, because Dustin has the whole Jedi Knight thing going on, complete with dramatic camera angle.
The text at the top, by Egon Spengler Joel, says: "wtf is up with my hair??" and the little chibi version of me is saying, "You know, like the guy from Ghostbusters?? ...I thought it was cool..." I often do little comments like that on my own drawings, and they're always hilarious to go back and re-read when I find them again.

The text at the top, by Egon Spengler Joel, says: "wtf is up with my hair??" and the little chibi version of me is saying, "You know, like the guy from Ghostbusters?? ...I thought it was cool..." I often do little comments like that on my own drawings, and they're always hilarious to go back and re-read when I find them again.

These are some early designs for the shadowy Weregeek form. I hit on the right concept pretty much right off the bat, but then played around with some really weird designs, including one where Abbie's shadow form had crazy spikes coming of her head. Once things got to -that- level of weirdness, I shook my head and decided I'd liked the original design best. And here are the first few sketches, plus a bonus one of an early Hunter design that looks far more anime than I had intended. (I think it's the face scarf...)


This is what has been keeping me busy lately - concept art! I spent a few weeks putting together a new portfolio, and this is an in-progress environment piece. I gave myself 15 minutes to do the sketches, and 30 minutes for slapping some colors on it. One thing I've noticed is that aside from being a ton of fun, doing this comic has -really- improved my speed coloring. Huh. Imagine that. Coloring in Photoshop <i>every day</i> makes you better at coloring in Photoshop...


-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
Pretty. Especially the fire one.
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
- Lunaroki
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 331
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am
- Location: north-central PA
- Contact:
That cave kinda reminds me of Totosai's first cave from Inuyasha, except the fire's inside the cave rather than outside.
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
- One post wonder
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 215
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 11:47 pm
- Location: Where snakes, scorpions, and Alice Cooper lurk.
- Contact:
I want to see a Ghost Buster RPG now... Ooh! Better yet, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! Though I doubt anyone else would even remember the Killer Tomatoes... But, yeah. The sketches that make Joel seem awkward always get a laugh from me.
My name made sense when I first thought it up.
I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
I remember seeing Attack of the Killer Tomatoes as a kid. Don't remember much of it, though.
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
- Tom the Fanboy
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2250
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Beaverton, OR, USA
- Contact:
I had a Killer tomato costume back in Middle school.
Palladium's Beyond the Supernatural actually had the rules to create the Ghostbusters in their setting.I think they had a class set aside for it.
Palladium's Beyond the Supernatural actually had the rules to create the Ghostbusters in their setting.I think they had a class set aside for it.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!
"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!
"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
- Lunaroki
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 331
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am
- Location: north-central PA
- Contact:
"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!" Are you guys talking about the original live-action movie (and it's sequels "Return of the Killer Tomatoes!", "Killer Tomatoes Strike Back!" and "Killer Tomatoes Eat France!") or are you talking about the cartoon "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Series", which was actually based more on "Return of the Killer Tomatoes!" than the original movie? Personally I've seen the ends of the first two movies and almost all of the cartoon series. An RPG based around that theme might be fun. A nice campy send-up with lots of bizarre twists and the most vicious tomatoes you ever saw. 
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
...You just had to roll 20 on your knowledge check, didn't you?
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
- One post wonder
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 215
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 11:47 pm
- Location: Where snakes, scorpions, and Alice Cooper lurk.
- Contact:
Lol, indeed he out geeked us all there... But I do like the idea of all new tomatoes... Perhaps other veggies too! Toss some killer lettuce, perhaps an evil onion or two, and have a whole killer salad! It's out there... I can smell the blue cheese dressing.
My name made sense when I first thought it up.
I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
