Hello,
I know we are all Fans of RPG's, otherwise we probably wouldn't be hanging out here. My Question is How much of a hardcore Geek are you? what extremes have you taken your fandom to?
While I'm not the type to Wait outside a movie theater for days to get the first tickets to see any movie or anything similar. I have made my favorite RPG a permanent Part of my Life.
3 Tattoo's
On my Left Shoulder is the Symbol for the Sluagh from Changeling the Dreaming.
On my Right Shoulder is the Symbol for the Art of Discord from Changeling the Dreaming.
On my Left leg is a Character I played in many Changeling games, and who I modified for other games as well.
So How about you, how far have you gone out of Love for your favorite game, or Fandom?
Come on, Show off and Gloat over your Geek-attude. Revel in your oddness.
Frighteningly Geeky.
Frighteningly Geeky.
Home Is, Run No More.
- Tom the Fanboy
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2250
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Beaverton, OR, USA
- Contact:
In 1999 I read a crossover comic between Knights of the Dinner Table and Faans!
I instantly fell in love with the characters and sent an excited email with a check to the creator,T. Campbell, for the first four issues of his comic.
I got all four and the fifth as a thank you for my enthusiasm. The comic ended its print run instantly.
I have gone by Tom the Fanboy since I joined the Fans! webcomic forums in 2000.
I was so active on the forum that in a later storyline a character was named after me, Tim the Fanboy.
The character turned evil, and was eventually killed.
At the San Diego Comic-Con in 2003 I showed up at the Keenspot booth in costume as the now-dead character "seeking revenge".
That's about the most extreme fandom story I have.
Though I am proud that I've been running my tabletop Vampire game for about 7 years.... and I'm not so proud that the game has only progressed 7 months in character.
(speaking of which Pooka, if you can get out to Beaverton easily maybe you could game with us!)
I instantly fell in love with the characters and sent an excited email with a check to the creator,T. Campbell, for the first four issues of his comic.
I got all four and the fifth as a thank you for my enthusiasm. The comic ended its print run instantly.
I have gone by Tom the Fanboy since I joined the Fans! webcomic forums in 2000.
I was so active on the forum that in a later storyline a character was named after me, Tim the Fanboy.
The character turned evil, and was eventually killed.
At the San Diego Comic-Con in 2003 I showed up at the Keenspot booth in costume as the now-dead character "seeking revenge".
That's about the most extreme fandom story I have.
Though I am proud that I've been running my tabletop Vampire game for about 7 years.... and I'm not so proud that the game has only progressed 7 months in character.
(speaking of which Pooka, if you can get out to Beaverton easily maybe you could game with us!)
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!
"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!
"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
- I did my senior project on comic books
- The decorating scheme for my dorm room consists entirely of superhero posters and comicon schwag
- I'm dating my dungeon master
- All of my high school prom dates were GMs
- I LARP, and was president my senior year of my school's LARP club
- my basement has been transformed into a boff-weapon and costume workshop
- my mother and I consider questing together on World of Warcraft using ventrilo "quality bonding time"
- My cousin's husband actually calls me by my LARP character name at family functions (to my poor cousin's everlasting embarrassment, foolish normal person that she is)
- The decorating scheme for my dorm room consists entirely of superhero posters and comicon schwag
- I'm dating my dungeon master
- All of my high school prom dates were GMs
- I LARP, and was president my senior year of my school's LARP club
- my basement has been transformed into a boff-weapon and costume workshop
- my mother and I consider questing together on World of Warcraft using ventrilo "quality bonding time"
- My cousin's husband actually calls me by my LARP character name at family functions (to my poor cousin's everlasting embarrassment, foolish normal person that she is)
Been gaming since XXXIII years and was a founding member of the RPGA, written published articles in gaming magazines (several actual sent me the check), started programming on an IBM 360 with punch cards, and would bite the head of animals in the carnival (ok, on the last one, I am creatively padding my geek resume).
geek
PRONUNCIATION: gk
NOUN: Slang 1a. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy. b. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept. 2. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.
ETYMOLOGY: Perhaps alteration of dialectal geck, fool, from Low German gek, from Middle Low German.
OTHER FORMS: geeky —ADJECTIVE
OUR LIVING LANGUAGE: Our word geek is now chiefly associated with student and computer slang; one probably thinks first of a computer geek. In origin, however, it is one of the words American English borrowed from the vocabulary of the circus, which was a much more significant source of entertainment in the United States in the 19th and early 20th century than it is now. Large numbers of traveling circuses left a cultural legacy in various and sometimes unexpected ways. For example, Superman and other comic book superheroes owe much of their look to circus acrobats, who were similarly costumed in capes and tights. The circus sideshow is the source of the word geek, “a performer who engaged in bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.” We also owe the word ballyhoo to the circus; its ultimate origin is unknown, but in the late 1800s it referred to a flamboyant free musical performance conducted outside a circus with the goal of luring customers to buy tickets to the inside shows. Other words and expressions with circus origins include bandwagon (coined by P.T. Barnum in 1855) and Siamese twin.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
-
Susan Calvin
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:27 am
- Location: Sweden
Re: Frighteningly Geeky.
I've started learning detailed medieval economic customs and regulations for a LARP, including how to file a double-entry yearly status report and world-specific data on natural resources, trade routs, ship design, international relations and our own company's organisational chart.
Re: Frighteningly Geeky.
I'm a bit late on this post, but I think it's kinda funny 
I spent 3 years of my life(i'm 16 years old now) making a NeverWinter Nights module, learned everything you could possibly imagine about C and C++ language cause you know, the scripts are in C, and then realised 3 months ago that Everybody had quit NWN1... My worst nightmare crushed all my projects of being the ultimate NWN module GM. NWN2 came out... -_- and i'm too cheap to remake it all on NWN2.
If someone knows a way to transfer modules between the two games, I would be extremely grateful.
So, I spend 3 weekends a month playing different RPGs, but mostly D&D. In the summer, I spend the other weekend LARPing.
I was the very first dungeon master in my primary school ( i started to play D&D at 8).
Ah, and I recently started a 7th Saga (SNES) Marathon with 5 friends. I'm actually the one leading with Lejes! *wink*
that's it
I spent 3 years of my life(i'm 16 years old now) making a NeverWinter Nights module, learned everything you could possibly imagine about C and C++ language cause you know, the scripts are in C, and then realised 3 months ago that Everybody had quit NWN1... My worst nightmare crushed all my projects of being the ultimate NWN module GM. NWN2 came out... -_- and i'm too cheap to remake it all on NWN2.
If someone knows a way to transfer modules between the two games, I would be extremely grateful.
So, I spend 3 weekends a month playing different RPGs, but mostly D&D. In the summer, I spend the other weekend LARPing.
I was the very first dungeon master in my primary school ( i started to play D&D at 8).
Ah, and I recently started a 7th Saga (SNES) Marathon with 5 friends. I'm actually the one leading with Lejes! *wink*
that's it
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
Re: Frighteningly Geeky.
...c and c++ are highly-sought after programming languages. If you've learnt all that, getting a degree should be easy. Then, job options.
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
Re: Frighteningly Geeky.
Eh, I have know some people from Ubisoft Montreal that could help me have a job there. But for the moment, I'm still in High school. And I I'm working on a second album with my band(I'm a drummer yes). I'm really torn between programming and Music. I'll still study in programming, but if the album & shows thing goes well, I might consider programming as a hobby and get more into music.
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
Re: Frighteningly Geeky.
Er...Might be pushing it here, but there's a lot more people trying to be musicians than there are successful musicians.
For my post here - I've read more fiction books than are in some bookstores. I know Basic, the basics of c++ (Learnt them before I found C#), I have a good enough grounding in C# to make basic games quickly - I made a space fighter game in three days and I'm currently two days and about half done on a very simple TBS - And I'm learning html and css while setting up my website. I play roguelikes, a very obscure style of game with thousands of players worldwide (No, that's not sarcasm), which uses text as graphics. I have been using computers since the Vic-20. I have on my computer and have used an emulator for the Amiga, including buying OS files from Amiga Forever so I could take a look at other Workbench versions than the A500. If I can find my Windows 98/95 codes again, I'll set up a PC emulator again so I have access to my old Windows games. I have, on my HD, but no longer loaded in my bookmarks, literally pages of webcomic and even more pages of fanfiction links. (Most of which I generally ignored, except when I got on one of my rare 'Gotta organize the bookmarks' sprints)
I'm currently only bookmarking old ones that I remember. If I don't remember them, they couldn't have been that good.
For my post here - I've read more fiction books than are in some bookstores. I know Basic, the basics of c++ (Learnt them before I found C#), I have a good enough grounding in C# to make basic games quickly - I made a space fighter game in three days and I'm currently two days and about half done on a very simple TBS - And I'm learning html and css while setting up my website. I play roguelikes, a very obscure style of game with thousands of players worldwide (No, that's not sarcasm), which uses text as graphics. I have been using computers since the Vic-20. I have on my computer and have used an emulator for the Amiga, including buying OS files from Amiga Forever so I could take a look at other Workbench versions than the A500. If I can find my Windows 98/95 codes again, I'll set up a PC emulator again so I have access to my old Windows games. I have, on my HD, but no longer loaded in my bookmarks, literally pages of webcomic and even more pages of fanfiction links. (Most of which I generally ignored, except when I got on one of my rare 'Gotta organize the bookmarks' sprints)
I'm currently only bookmarking old ones that I remember. If I don't remember them, they couldn't have been that good.
I have a livejournal
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
'Rule #2 : There is the game and there is reality. Between them is a BIG HONKING wall.' - Narshal, RPG.net, D&D alignment debate.
- Levi Kornelsen
- Newbie
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:49 am
Re: Frighteningly Geeky.
I publish RPGs and cool stuff for them, online, for free.Pookajoe wrote:So How about you, how far have you gone out of Love for your favorite game, or Fandom?