there's a roleplaying game for Star Wars??
-
Khayankh
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 95
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:23 pm
- Location: southwestern bit of CT, near NYC
there's a roleplaying game for Star Wars??
No really, I didn't know such a thing existed. That's awesome...where is it?
Also, I have heard that Serenity Day is September 30, and I imagine someone might be showing Serenity/Firefly somewhere. I haven't seen either, ever, though I've seen people talk enthusiastically about them lots of times. How would one go about finding a showing of Serenity or Firefly or, ideally, both?
Also, I have heard that Serenity Day is September 30, and I imagine someone might be showing Serenity/Firefly somewhere. I haven't seen either, ever, though I've seen people talk enthusiastically about them lots of times. How would one go about finding a showing of Serenity or Firefly or, ideally, both?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. -unknown
You broke the universe - my DM this one time
You broke the universe - my DM this one time
- Thunderhowl
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 535
- Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:33 am
- Location: in the Hospitality Mines
- Contact:
- One post wonder
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 215
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 11:47 pm
- Location: Where snakes, scorpions, and Alice Cooper lurk.
- Contact:
If you would like to try one that tries to be a simulation of the Star Wars galaxy and has nearly 3,000 active players, try this.
http://www.swcombine.com/
And if you are curious as to which faction to join, I am in the Falleen Federation, and it has a ton of great people.
http://www.swcombine.com/
And if you are curious as to which faction to join, I am in the Falleen Federation, and it has a ton of great people.
My name made sense when I first thought it up.
I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
I apologize in advance for the inevitable awkwardness.
- Thanatos5150
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 570
- Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
- Location: Honshu, Japan
- Contact:
The intel I've heard is that the Firefly RPG isn't good at all.
Yay, d20!
Anyway: KOTOR is based off the d20 version of the Star Wars RPG.
That should give you some sort of idea.
Yay, d20!
Anyway: KOTOR is based off the d20 version of the Star Wars RPG.
That should give you some sort of idea.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
- Invaluable Kiwi
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 47
- Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 12:24 am
- LurkerAbove
- Newbie
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:25 pm
- Location: AZ
- Contact:
Opinions on D6 Star Wars vs D20 Star Wars:
Ok, this is just my opinion, but here it is: The D6 version is superior to the D20 version.
Now that the shock of that statement (for some) has settled in, here are my reasons:
1. The D6 system was simple to learn for first time players - only 1 die type.
2. The D6 system was more flexible when it came to developing your character - no skill was 'unlearnable' or denied by class restrictions - it doesn't use a class system.
3. The system made for very fast game play, and gave it some of the feel of the pace of the movies. I was able to run a game with 12 players at one time with no one having time to get bored waiting for their next action.
Now, if it sounds like I am 'hater' of the D20 system, nothing could be further from the truth. D20 is exactly what D&D needed. The older D&D systems were 'clunky' compared to D20, and the pace of those games improved with it. Unfortunately, D20 did the opposite for Star Wars, in my opinion. Most other players that I have spoken to, that have played the D6 version, prefer it to the D20. It seems like only those who have never tried the D6 version stand behind D20 for Star Wars.
Any other opinions out there? I'm sure some of you have played both versions.
Ok, this is just my opinion, but here it is: The D6 version is superior to the D20 version.
Now that the shock of that statement (for some) has settled in, here are my reasons:
1. The D6 system was simple to learn for first time players - only 1 die type.
2. The D6 system was more flexible when it came to developing your character - no skill was 'unlearnable' or denied by class restrictions - it doesn't use a class system.
3. The system made for very fast game play, and gave it some of the feel of the pace of the movies. I was able to run a game with 12 players at one time with no one having time to get bored waiting for their next action.
Now, if it sounds like I am 'hater' of the D20 system, nothing could be further from the truth. D20 is exactly what D&D needed. The older D&D systems were 'clunky' compared to D20, and the pace of those games improved with it. Unfortunately, D20 did the opposite for Star Wars, in my opinion. Most other players that I have spoken to, that have played the D6 version, prefer it to the D20. It seems like only those who have never tried the D6 version stand behind D20 for Star Wars.
Any other opinions out there? I'm sure some of you have played both versions.
-Lurker
-
Khayankh
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 95
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:23 pm
- Location: southwestern bit of CT, near NYC
Ooo...there's a RPG that is to KotOR as D&D is to Neverwinter? Yay!
Now where would I find something like that...?
I've never seen Serenity or Firefly - stop telling me how wonderful they are and tell me where they are! I'm considering ordering them both from Amazon, but I would really like to see them with other people. I figured that this Serenity Day thingy on the 30th of September might mean there are screenings going on somewhere...how would I find out where 'somewhere' is?
Now where would I find something like that...?
I've never seen Serenity or Firefly - stop telling me how wonderful they are and tell me where they are! I'm considering ordering them both from Amazon, but I would really like to see them with other people. I figured that this Serenity Day thingy on the 30th of September might mean there are screenings going on somewhere...how would I find out where 'somewhere' is?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. -unknown
You broke the universe - my DM this one time
You broke the universe - my DM this one time
I completely agree. D20 just doesn't feel like Star Wars, while the old D6 system DID. And the books for the West End Games version were really well done... the only thing that sucked about the old system were the ship-to-ship combat rules.LurkerAbove wrote:Opinions on D6 Star Wars vs D20 Star Wars:
Ok, this is just my opinion, but here it is: The D6 version is superior to the D20 version.
Now that the shock of that statement (for some) has settled in, here are my reasons:
1. The D6 system was simple to learn for first time players - only 1 die type.
2. The D6 system was more flexible when it came to developing your character - no skill was 'unlearnable' or denied by class restrictions - it doesn't use a class system.
3. The system made for very fast game play, and gave it some of the feel of the pace of the movies. I was able to run a game with 12 players at one time with no one having time to get bored waiting for their next action.
Now, if it sounds like I am 'hater' of the D20 system, nothing could be further from the truth. D20 is exactly what D&D needed. The older D&D systems were 'clunky' compared to D20, and the pace of those games improved with it. Unfortunately, D20 did the opposite for Star Wars, in my opinion. Most other players that I have spoken to, that have played the D6 version, prefer it to the D20. It seems like only those who have never tried the D6 version stand behind D20 for Star Wars.
Any other opinions out there? I'm sure some of you have played both versions.
- LurkerAbove
- Newbie
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:25 pm
- Location: AZ
- Contact:
Well, ok, the ship to ship stuff got a bit clunky, but I got good at streamlining it to suit my group. It got really fun towards the end of the campaign when each player got command of their own Capital ship... including the Ewok Jedi Knight.
They found their small fleet on the backside of the Imperial Fleet over Endor just as the battle with the Rebel Alliance begins. I let them pull a few ships away from that fight to "help" the Rebels win the day!
They found their small fleet on the backside of the Imperial Fleet over Endor just as the battle with the Rebel Alliance begins. I let them pull a few ships away from that fight to "help" the Rebels win the day!
-Lurker
Actually, there are 2 d20 systems, the traditional D20, and the NEW SAGA d20, which a lot of people are saying will be the basis for 4th edition.
SAGA (not to beconfused withthe old card system) actually bridges a lot fo the issues old D6ers have with the d20, it's not as popular yet, and the conversion for both d20 and d6 are still being hashed out, but all in all its a good system.
Basically they nerffed skills down in the extreme. Everyone gets every skill (except Mechanics) and if you take a skill at startup, you get a +5 to that skill. Also, you only get skills at creation, and they've reduced the list to under 20 skills.
They've expanded feats a bit, including a new feat to get trained in a skill. Every class now has ability trees, rather like d20 Modern, and you get an ability or a feat every level.
NOw unless you're a weregamer thans all just so much dribble, but there you have it.
For those who are wondering: Darth Vader - Jedi 7/Jedi Knight 5/Ace Piolot 2/Sith Apprentice 2/ Sith Lord 3
Yoda - (no Race) Jedi 8/Jedi Knight 7/Jedi Master 5 (lightsaber +29/+29/+29 [2d8+16])
Luke Skywalker (eps 6) Human scout 1/Jedi 7/Ace Pilot 2/Jedi Knight 1
Han Solo (eps 6) Human Scoundrel 5 Solider 2/ Ace Pilot 3/ Gunslinger 2
---------------------------------------
AS for Firefly LARPs, I hadf the distinct displease of being at one, and while the story looked cool, and the ST team was great, the line for Companion PCs consisted largely of females to young to attend high school, and there's something deeply disturbing about a half dozen children in silken flowing things wanting to be professional whores. It just kills the experience you know?
SAGA (not to beconfused withthe old card system) actually bridges a lot fo the issues old D6ers have with the d20, it's not as popular yet, and the conversion for both d20 and d6 are still being hashed out, but all in all its a good system.
Basically they nerffed skills down in the extreme. Everyone gets every skill (except Mechanics) and if you take a skill at startup, you get a +5 to that skill. Also, you only get skills at creation, and they've reduced the list to under 20 skills.
They've expanded feats a bit, including a new feat to get trained in a skill. Every class now has ability trees, rather like d20 Modern, and you get an ability or a feat every level.
NOw unless you're a weregamer thans all just so much dribble, but there you have it.
For those who are wondering: Darth Vader - Jedi 7/Jedi Knight 5/Ace Piolot 2/Sith Apprentice 2/ Sith Lord 3
Yoda - (no Race) Jedi 8/Jedi Knight 7/Jedi Master 5 (lightsaber +29/+29/+29 [2d8+16])
Luke Skywalker (eps 6) Human scout 1/Jedi 7/Ace Pilot 2/Jedi Knight 1
Han Solo (eps 6) Human Scoundrel 5 Solider 2/ Ace Pilot 3/ Gunslinger 2
---------------------------------------
AS for Firefly LARPs, I hadf the distinct displease of being at one, and while the story looked cool, and the ST team was great, the line for Companion PCs consisted largely of females to young to attend high school, and there's something deeply disturbing about a half dozen children in silken flowing things wanting to be professional whores. It just kills the experience you know?
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
- Thanatos5150
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 570
- Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
- Location: Honshu, Japan
- Contact:
In relation to this story arc: linking it back to the previous one:
Silas? It seems like Joel has a standard-issue charecter name (That was his shadowrunner's name, too).
Not that I'm complaining, I have a couple of standard names, myself. Its just something I randomly noticed.
Silas? It seems like Joel has a standard-issue charecter name (That was his shadowrunner's name, too).
Not that I'm complaining, I have a couple of standard names, myself. Its just something I randomly noticed.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
- Lunaroki
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 331
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am
- Location: north-central PA
- Contact:
Thanks for pointing out that there was a new comic Thanatos. I've been missing all the updates for the past WEEK thanks to ComicGenesis not updating unless you click Refresh. Darn you ComicGenesis!
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
- Thanatos5150
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 570
- Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
- Location: Honshu, Japan
- Contact:
Oh, I always type the backup URL (http://www.weregeek.com), and have it bookmarked on my peronsal computer. I don't even notice when comic genesis is down unless I'm checking on Antibunny or Supertemps.
Thats, and weregeek.comicgenesis.com is harder to spell correctly (alhough, I do recall typing "comicgen" once, and it working.
<EDIT>
Also of note is that this story arc has produced comics that are awesome enough for me to post them on the desktop of my work computer (Abbie's 'Star Wars Sucks' strip and Joel threatening to shoot "Talking Guy"'s Droid. Even non-RPG, non-Star Wars geeks have laughed at them.
Thats, and weregeek.comicgenesis.com is harder to spell correctly (alhough, I do recall typing "comicgen" once, and it working.
<EDIT>
Also of note is that this story arc has produced comics that are awesome enough for me to post them on the desktop of my work computer (Abbie's 'Star Wars Sucks' strip and Joel threatening to shoot "Talking Guy"'s Droid. Even non-RPG, non-Star Wars geeks have laughed at them.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
- DrunkenPrayer
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 94
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:37 am
I can't imagine how annoying someone who could talk non stop and stay in character would be. These strips are making me want to start playing Star Wars Galaxies again. The new Star Wars RPG is one that I'm really wanting to try out but as usual can't find anyone around doing a game. I really should just start staking out my local games shops and talking to people.
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." - Charlie Brown
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." - Charlie Brown
- Thanatos5150
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 570
- Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
- Location: Honshu, Japan
- Contact:
I am your humble carrier of the Geek Virus!Alina P wrote:Wow, that's great! I'm glad that non-geeks get the comic, too. (That's how you hook 'em, you know. Come for the funny, stay for the geekiness. You will be assimilated.Even non-RPG, non-Star Wars geeks have laughed at them.)
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
- The Bellmaker
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:34 am
- Contact:
- Thanatos5150
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 570
- Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
- Location: Honshu, Japan
- Contact:
You know of these people? and you haven't declared WAR, yet?The Bellmaker wrote:But what of those who merely find geekiness amusing, rendering them immune to the assimilation through intriguing geek in-jokes, because the mere fact that these ARE geeky in-jokes renders them funny to them?
-
I kid. Kinda.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
- Thanatos5150
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 570
- Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
- Location: Honshu, Japan
- Contact:
