Cloverfield
- DM_Topher
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 42
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:45 am
- Location: South Jersey (near Philly)
- Contact:
Cloverfield
Presumably a few folks here have seen Transformers (saw it last night, BTW - surprisingly good. Kudos.)
Anyway, the buzz is on the JJ Abrams (Lost) produced movie coming out on 1-18-08. Does not have a title yet, just the code name Cloverfield.
The concept is pretty clever... a giant monster trashes New York City and we see it from the persepctive of some party-goers filming everything with camcorders.
I love this.
Anyway, there's a couple of web sites that have been set up by fans (apparently) as well as at least 2 official sites and a Quicktime trailer. Here's the teaser:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/
This is the official site:
http://www.1-18-08.com/
Now here's a Japanese one:
http://www.slusho.jp/
Now, this one is interesting... it's made to look like an ad site for a Japanese drink product, but when you read the history, it speaks of the scientist son of the drink's originator finding a special substance at the bottom of the ocean and injesting it, making him grow. I forget how this site was found, but it's pretty much been confirmed it's related to the movie.
This is one of the fan sites:
http://www.cloverfield-movie.com/blog/
Based on preliminary information, here's what is known:
It's not Cthulhu
It's not Voltron
It's not Godzilla
Abrams and company are usually pretty good at coming up with original material, so I'm pretty sure this giant monster isn't based (directly) on previous material.
Anyway, the movie looks badass. It's going to be a long 6 months.
Anyway, the buzz is on the JJ Abrams (Lost) produced movie coming out on 1-18-08. Does not have a title yet, just the code name Cloverfield.
The concept is pretty clever... a giant monster trashes New York City and we see it from the persepctive of some party-goers filming everything with camcorders.
I love this.
Anyway, there's a couple of web sites that have been set up by fans (apparently) as well as at least 2 official sites and a Quicktime trailer. Here's the teaser:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/
This is the official site:
http://www.1-18-08.com/
Now here's a Japanese one:
http://www.slusho.jp/
Now, this one is interesting... it's made to look like an ad site for a Japanese drink product, but when you read the history, it speaks of the scientist son of the drink's originator finding a special substance at the bottom of the ocean and injesting it, making him grow. I forget how this site was found, but it's pretty much been confirmed it's related to the movie.
This is one of the fan sites:
http://www.cloverfield-movie.com/blog/
Based on preliminary information, here's what is known:
It's not Cthulhu
It's not Voltron
It's not Godzilla
Abrams and company are usually pretty good at coming up with original material, so I'm pretty sure this giant monster isn't based (directly) on previous material.
Anyway, the movie looks badass. It's going to be a long 6 months.
Doc Ock in the house, baby!
- DrunkenPrayer
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 94
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:37 am
The concept definitely sounds interesting. Is this the first feature film Abrams has done? I have more hope for a feature than any future TV series because he tends to make things too convoluted for his own good. I still can't stop watching them right enough.
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." - Charlie Brown
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." - Charlie Brown
- One post wonder
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 215
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 11:47 pm
- Location: Where snakes, scorpions, and Alice Cooper lurk.
- Contact:
- Lunaroki
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 331
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am
- Location: north-central PA
- Contact:
Eh. Trashing Tokyo has been done to death. It's passe. Audiences want something fresh and new. Something different that hasn't been done a million times already. Something like a giant sea monster rising from the depths to trash ... Chicago! Now there's one I'll bet you've never seen before! ^_^
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
- Tom the Fanboy
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2250
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Beaverton, OR, USA
- Contact:
Didn't Chicago get hit in Destroy All Monsters?
The big joke among the LOST fans (since Abrams worked on that show) is that the monster from the island escaped to the mainland. There's plenty of things that argue against that but just enough that backs it up that you can't really disprove it.
I'll have to review those other sites when I get home (stupid work computer).
The big joke among the LOST fans (since Abrams worked on that show) is that the monster from the island escaped to the mainland. There's plenty of things that argue against that but just enough that backs it up that you can't really disprove it.
I'll have to review those other sites when I get home (stupid work computer).
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!
"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!
"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
- DrunkenPrayer
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 94
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:37 am
How about trashing Hamburg or Barcelona, you know somewhere completely unexpected.
Those "roars" do sound exceptionally like the sounds that sometimes accompany the smoke monster in Lost but I wouldn't bet on it being that. It does sound partially mechanical though so maybe some kind of beast/machine hybrid.
Those "roars" do sound exceptionally like the sounds that sometimes accompany the smoke monster in Lost but I wouldn't bet on it being that. It does sound partially mechanical though so maybe some kind of beast/machine hybrid.
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." - Charlie Brown
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." - Charlie Brown
You know, it's funny how the giant monsters always go for the big cities, regardless of which one it is. And the little one-horse country towns all get hit by vampires, or cults, or Shari Moon Zombie, or some other weird little threat.
The suburbs? Never seen 'em get hit; they're the only safe place in a world gone mad.
Also, Transformers rocked my box.
The suburbs? Never seen 'em get hit; they're the only safe place in a world gone mad.
Also, Transformers rocked my box.
"I'm a weatherman, I don't believe in fate."
--Randall Stevens
My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.
Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
--Randall Stevens
My perfect job: freelance pun engineer.
Accio Shotgun B#@%! -- Tom the Fanboy
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
Well, it's quite simple, really. If you crush New York, Tokyo or London, the other giant monsters all give you high-fives. Crush Middle-of-Nowhereville and they snicker at you and wonder if you were off your game or coming down with something.
It's a prestige thing, really. Kinda like how all alien hordes want to conquer the Earth, instead of just mining the asteriod belt. Asteriod belts are a penny a hundred. Everybody, their uncle and their annoying kid brother has conquered an asteroid belt. Inhabited planets are rare and actually dangerous.
It's a prestige thing, really. Kinda like how all alien hordes want to conquer the Earth, instead of just mining the asteriod belt. Asteriod belts are a penny a hundred. Everybody, their uncle and their annoying kid brother has conquered an asteroid belt. Inhabited planets are rare and actually dangerous.
- Lunaroki
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 331
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am
- Location: north-central PA
- Contact:
There's a reason for that. Anyone who's seen the movie The 'Burbs knows why no self-respecting threat to humanity would hit the suburbs: those people are insane! You don't mess with the 'burbs because that's where all the crazies live.Dustman wrote:The suburbs? Never seen 'em get hit; they're the only safe place in a world gone mad.
Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware."
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny."
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Half-elves and golems and nymphs, oh my!
- DM_Topher
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 42
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:45 am
- Location: South Jersey (near Philly)
- Contact:
burbs
I live in South Jersey, which is effectively the suburbs of Philadelphia. We usually have a pretty good view of Center City. And if a giant monster ever attacks the home of the cheesesteak (monsters have good taste in food, too) we can all kick back and watch the carnage from our back yards. The burbs rule.
Doc Ock in the house, baby!
- Thanatos5150
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 570
- Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:51 am
- Location: Honshu, Japan
- Contact:
No, no, no...
The 'Burbs are where crazy stalke-types and mass-murders live and strike.
Safe from giant monsters, not safe from humans.
The 'Burbs are where crazy stalke-types and mass-murders live and strike.
Safe from giant monsters, not safe from humans.
"Justice is the Art of the Thief"
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
~Socrates~
"Weapons and armor are for those who lack skill, Honor and courage"
~Drunken Monk to a Paladin in the tavern. No bystanders were harmed in the ensuing brawl~
Guh. I live in the 'Burbs. Near to the jail(s). Not a happy thought.Thanatos5150 wrote: The 'Burbs are where crazy stalke-types and mass-murders live and strike.
Safe from giant monsters, not safe from humans.
But see, this is pretty much WHAT keeps us safe. The monsters know that if they break a jail open on accident or something all the mass-murders and what-not will go crazy all OVER their behinds.
And the sane ones (or sane enough not to be in prison, none of us are REALLY sane out here) will just sit on their porches and/or driveways and laugh and laugh and laugh as the monster get beat.
I'm sorry Dave, I can't find this signature for you.
-
Khayankh
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 95
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:23 pm
- Location: southwestern bit of CT, near NYC
Well, suburbs are also growing grounds for young mad scientists. and really good places to build secret labs.
If the mass-murderers didn't get the monster, the mad science children would. (Monster attacks. I call Willy. Willy builds a super-special-awesome ray gun and slays the monster with it. Oliver, Willy's little brother, whines about not getting to play with ray guns. Everyone goes home and plays D&D. The end.)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. -unknown
You broke the universe - my DM this one time
You broke the universe - my DM this one time
I'm actually wanting to see this, it looks good, but it all depends on the story, there are more then enough monster movies out there with bad scripting and acting. Anyways to me this seems like its going to be based on the old video games series "Rampage". Also if anyone is actually keeping an eye on it, did you know that you could flip the pictures over by clicking on them and moving them back and forth quickly? There are messages on the back of them, well 2 of them anyway ^_^

For the request which I am going to ask of you, please reply with either "Okay" or "Yes".
-
Narf the Mouse
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1302
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am
I could be way off, sense its supposed to be something original, but it just sounds too much like Rampage to me, think about...... You drink a product called Slusho and it turns you into a monster. Hmmm sounds really fimilar to me, just change the name of the drink. ^_^

For the request which I am going to ask of you, please reply with either "Okay" or "Yes".