coloring crit - perhaps helpful. . .

An action/comedy comic with an ongoing storyline and a very fitting name.

coloring crit - perhaps helpful. . .

Postby Jkior on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:13 pm

(Ignore this post if you're not in the mood for constructive criticism, btw)

I was admiring the last update - as always - but the sky in the top two panels was bothering me somehow. I think part of it is the heaviness in rendering of the sky - the outlines of the clouds and the color within give them much the same visual weight as parts of the ship and the rock wall behind.
In looking through some of the archives, it seems like you don't use atmospheric perspective. . .at all really. (Don't take this wrong, I'm not trying to bash your art at all, in fact I admire it greatly.) I assume you're familiar with the basic concept of atmospheric perspective - that colors (and lines, possibly) become less saturated (i.e., lighter and less colorful) and simultaneously tend toward the blue/cool color area of the color wheel. This is an incredibly powerful tool for creating depth and I think it would probably help the larger scenes immensely, because a number of them are difficult to "read" with objects or surfaces in the bg the same saturation and darkness as those in the foreground.

That is all I have to say. Hope this helps in some small way.

P.s. your comic is indeed awesome, as previously stated.
Jkior

Postby Jkior on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:20 pm

Here's a pretty extreme example of atmospheric perspective in nature:

Although this is an extreme example in terms of fog and distance, it does illustrate what I'm talking about. Just keep in mind that the same sort of effect can be a quite powerful tool, even when illustrating an indoor scene in clear air - the same principles can be applied.

Again, hope this is somewhat helpful!
Jkior

Postby Derenge on Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:36 pm

Actually this is helpfull, I hadn't been thinking about doing this, but it would be usefull. The setting they are in isn't very hazy, but using a little of a haze effect could help convey the scale. It's also rather easy to add that sort of thing in anyway.
Derenge
Regular Poster

Return to Pointless