Page 1 of 1

At Perfect

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:07 pm
by [AOD]
(I believe that we now have 20+ comics)

At last, two of webcomicdom's most consistently creative and unusual comickers: [AoD] and Rao! have decided to collaborate on a bold and surreal new project!

With Rao! as the artist, and [AoD] writing, it's sure to be a hit, combining excellent, luxuriant art, with deep, visually evocative prose.

The synopsis: After the fall of a comic, its characters still live on, in a kind of limbo between fictional worlds: ghosts dissolved upon the ether. At the centre of this strange, fluid world, there is a place where fictional characters from all milieux mix freely, where the boundaries of reality and sanity dissolve, where anything is possible. Follow the strange, surreal tale of a band of refugees from Rao!'s old comic, and of a fictional girl from one of [AoD]'s stories, as their paths intertwine. Where are they?

They're At Perfect.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:45 pm
by [AOD]
I can't believe nobody is commenting on this. Is this not the best comic in comic history? We are comic-making gods, we, Rao! and [AoD], and we demand that you grovel at our feet in an awed stupour. Marvel at our brilliance!

@!~AOD

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:03 pm
by Rao!
It is quite simple, [AoD]. The comic is such that mere mortals explode when they load the page, since their dna isn't able to survive the strain.

Silly.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 am
by Leperdoctor
Lick Rulez!!

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:24 am
by Glambourine
The art is awesome. As for the writing, it kind of failed to keep my interest.

I like the long descriptive paragraphs that you get into more near the end of the comic, and I like how they take place outside of the "frame"--it's a weird approach to storytelling that I don't see a lot, and with art like this, it really works. The problem is the plot: too fourth-wall-breaky, too self-referential, and too confusing at first. I had no idea what was going on, outside of the fact that lots of jokes were being made about the characters being just lowly comic characters. In order to identify with characters and care about the plot, I need to be planted right from page one in the characters' world and I need to care about their concerns, and fourth wall stuff from the get-go makes me not care.

I really do like the narrative style later and I dig the art, so I'll check in every so often, but at this point it just doesn't grab me. Sorry; good luck

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:52 am
by [AOD]
Ahhh, I see. That can be explained: the characters are technically 'survivors' fleeing from the 'end' of Rao!'s comic, and it just so happened that his comic was a fourth-wall-less comic, so maintaining their in-character perspective was, for me, a difficulty without resorting to fourth wall breakage -- it would be 'out of character', in certain ways, to have them not make metacomic references. The reason for the decrease later on can be explained somewhat metafictionally: the 'further' they go from Rao!'s comic, the less tangible the 'influence' of that world, hence, less fourth wall breakage.

@~AOD

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:10 pm
by Rao!
Mr Glambourine, I'm kinda happy you mention this since [AoD] and I WHERE discussing this very subject before.

To make a long story short, we're currently discussin wether or not we're going to retcon the first few pages in order to focus more 'on' the comic itself.

Oh, this just in- seems we're going to do it!

Well alright then.