Page 1 of 3

Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:37 am
by DJMayhem
http://laughingsquid.com/gary-gygax-193 ... s-dragons/
one of the dudes who created dungeons and dragons is dead. 70 years old, man. He will be missed.

also, this may be the most obscure "in memoriam" thread ever.

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 am
by KWill
Just heard about it somewhere else. This is sad indeed =(

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:15 am
by Dracomax
soooo....

i can finally use "By the Grave Of Gygax" as a battlecry!

:shifty:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:38 am
by CaptainClaude
Noone was available to cast Raise Dead?

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:42 am
by KWill
ryclaude wrote:Noone was available to cast Raise Dead?
Failed on account of a too high DC.

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:43 am
by CaptainClaude
that's just appalling

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:47 am
by TheSuburbanLetdown
Damn, he invented nerds. I'm sad now.

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:25 pm
by Boozeathon4billion
Wow... he helped define a good deal of my middle school experience. I really haven't played much since, but it holds a fond place in my heart/life.

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:33 pm
by MixedMyth
Sadness. :{ I mean, 69 is awfully young by today's standards.

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:40 pm
by Komiyan
Damn :( He narrated some of the DDO dungeons too, and very awfully at that. Precious memories..

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:18 pm
by Mr.Bob
Is there a cleric in the house??

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:26 pm
by Ekolter
Ryan's talking about burning a d20 in his memory.

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:40 pm
by Mr.Bob
How does one go about burning a die?

Knowing rkolter I'm guessing thermite reaction.

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:46 pm
by Vorticus
I suspect prodigious amounts of lighter fluid.

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:58 pm
by Jesusabdullah
Bonfire? So, like thirty pallets and some diesel. Maybe some LOX for XTREEM cooking action. :roll:

There's probably a way to do it with a microwave too. :twisted:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:05 pm
by Komiyan
If you microwave it with the 20 pointed up supposedly it weights it.

Also, Penny Arcade tribute to Gygax- http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:13 pm
by Rkolter
Microwaving a die does not weight it.

I'll probably just put it in a tiny plate of liquid wax and burn it.

This is one of the few of these kinds of threads that I really feel bad about. This guy helped to define my life - I'm still an avid roleplayer.

He will be missed.

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:21 pm
by Jim North
D:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:32 pm
by Mvmarcz
I am very sad about this. I grew up playing D&D :( I really wish I could find my dice right now...I kinda need to hold something D&Dy right now...where's my character sheets...... :cry:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:06 pm
by [geoduck]
"Anyone want to play Dungeons and Dragons for the next quadrillion years?"