Shuttle launch in just a few minutes!
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Rkolter
- Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

- Posts: 16399
- Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
- Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
- Contact:
Shuttle launch in just a few minutes!
*SQUEEEEEEEEEEE*
*watches NASA live TV*
*watches NASA live TV*
- KittyKatBlack
- Cartoon Villain
- Posts: 3182
- Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:56 pm
- Location: How the hell should I know? I just live here...
- Contact:
- Christwriter
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1915
- Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:56 am
I WATCHED THE LAUNCH!!!!
SO. FREAKING. COOL.
CW
SO. FREAKING. COOL.
CW
"Remember that the definition of an adventure is someone else having a hell of a hard time a thousand miles away."
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04
Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.
<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com">
</a>
<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04
Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.
<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com">
</a><a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.
That was TODAY?
Warren

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Comics. Drawn poorly.
------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
- Laemkral
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3269
- Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:10 am
- Location: I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
- Contact:
*ksssh* Uh, Houston? We're having a problem out here. Requesting advice. *ksssh*
Shuttle, what issues are you having?
*ksssh* Well, there's a giant ball of light floating right outside the cockpit, and it's holding a sign that says "Go science!!". *kssh*
Shuttle, what issues are you having?
*ksssh* Well, there's a giant ball of light floating right outside the cockpit, and it's holding a sign that says "Go science!!". *kssh*
Avatar courtesy of Fading Aura.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
What? Not asking for autographs?Laemkral wrote:*ksssh* Uh, Houston? We're having a problem out here. Requesting advice. *ksssh*
Shuttle, what issues are you having?
*ksssh* Well, there's a giant ball of light floating right outside the cockpit, and it's holding a sign that says "Go science!!". *kssh*
Så länge skutan kan gå, så länge hjärtat kan slå, så länge solen den glittrar på böljorna blå...
- Joel Fagin
- nothos adrisor (GTC)
- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
- Location: City of Lights
- Contact:
- Cat42
- Emo
- Posts: 2010
- Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:21 am
- Location: "Working" on Transitions. (and Confabulation)
- Contact:
There was a shuttle launch and a missile scare yesterday?
I am really out of it when it comes to this damn planet...
EDIT++++
Question for RKolter, or whoever else might be able to explain it:
I just read an article that said the Columbia Exploded in 2003 because foam fell off of it. I'm wondering how this could work, and what for, and why are they using foam if it's causing them problems?
FURTHER ANNOTATION:
(As if my question wasn't long enough) what is the fesability of a shuttle launch in the style of what they did in Superman Returns, and why don't they do that?
I am really out of it when it comes to this damn planet...
EDIT++++
Question for RKolter, or whoever else might be able to explain it:
I just read an article that said the Columbia Exploded in 2003 because foam fell off of it. I'm wondering how this could work, and what for, and why are they using foam if it's causing them problems?
FURTHER ANNOTATION:
(As if my question wasn't long enough) what is the fesability of a shuttle launch in the style of what they did in Superman Returns, and why don't they do that?
Someday, someday I'll finish Confabulation. That day is not today, however.
Read my textual nonsense! » My weekly updated animation thread! « Watch my visual nonsense!
Read my textual nonsense! » My weekly updated animation thread! « Watch my visual nonsense!
Discovery launched, first shuttle launch since Columbia went kablooie (sorry for the disrespect) unless I'm mistaken. Mission is to place a german astronaut on ISS, bringing the crew up to three for the first time since Columbia went down in flames. They're also to test the possibility of making repairs on the shuttle while in space.cat42 wrote:There was a shuttle launch and a missile scare yesterday?
I am really out of it when it comes to this damn planet...
EDIT++++
Question for RKolter, or whoever else might be able to explain it:
I just read an article that said the Columbia Exploded in 2003 because foam fell off of it. I'm wondering how this could work, and what for, and why are they using foam if it's causing them problems?
North Korea has test fired seven (or is that eight now?) missiles today, one of which had long range capacity (whatever that means).
Damage to Columbia that caused the explosion is believed to be because a bit of foam damaged the heatshield, which consists of thousands and thousands of pieces of ceramic tiles. One of these get damaged or slightly moved out of place, you get uneven heating during reentry with the potential for catastrophic damage following. If you can check prior to reentry if any tiles are damaged, and replace any damaged tiles, you should be able to prevent such mishaps in the future (and if they see any such damage on the Discovery (which they are unable to repair safely), every astronaut onboard is riding this one out on the ISS 'til the Russians can bring them down in the time honoured, aged (not to say ancient!) Sojuz vehicles. All to prevent another incident.
The foam is needed as insulation for the fueltanks, as far as I know. Liquid hydrogen and oxygen in the big tank I believe. You don't want to skimp on the insulation for that stuff, kind of explosive and needs to be kept cold.
The booster rockets are also something you don't want to skimp on the insulation for.
EDIT: Haven't seen Superman returns, don't intend to until its on TV. Can't answer that question without more info.
Tentative answer: Because it's fiction?
Så länge skutan kan gå, så länge hjärtat kan slå, så länge solen den glittrar på böljorna blå...
- RemusShepherd
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2011
- Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
- Contact:
Yeah, the north koreans tried to steal our thunder.cat42 wrote:There was a shuttle launch and a missile scare yesterday?
(Edit: Rkolter got an answer in while I was typing mine, and his is more correct. I thought the foam and heat tiles were one and the same.Question for RKolter, or whoever else might be able to explain it:
I just read an article that said the Columbia Exploded in 2003 because foam fell off of it. I'm wondering how this could work, and what for, and why are they using foam if it's causing them problems?
Someone else will have to talk to the Superman Returns thing, I haven't seen it yet.
Last edited by RemusShepherd on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.










