Is this Racism?
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
Is this Racism?
First off, What is Race?
1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
Now, what is Racism?
the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races 2: discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race
Now, here's my question: Is Mainstream American Culture racist regarding body-hair? Are hairy people made to feel shameful by society?
If women are shown with hairy armpits, it is usually in a comedy. People's reaction is usually one of disgust or shock. Women are rarely, if ever, shown with hairy legs. Usually, this depiction is part of a Feminist or Hippie character's "quirky traits." It's never treated as normal. In the realm of pornography, female bodyhair is considered a niche market unless it is a small neatly trimmed patch in one place. Female fashion models never show leg, or under-arm hair.
If men are shown to be hairy, it only sometimes provokes disgust. "That's not a sweater, aaaarrrggghhhhh." Men are allowed to have hairy arms, underarms, legs, and chest (if not too hairy), but back-hair is almost universally reviled in the mainstream media. Gay porn embraces hairy men, and hairless men alike.
Is there anything wrong with having body-hair? Is touching a hairy person "gross?"
The way I see it, body-hair is a genetic trait like skin color. Pacific Islanders have very little body-hair. Europeans tend to have more. It is naturally occurring, and should be nothing to be ashamed of. Why should anyone be ashamed of the body they were born with, or their ancestry? Why should anyone be embarrassed by thier DNA? Unfortunately, the message society gives is that we should be ashamed. The airwaves are littered with commercials for razors, shavers, hair removal products, etc. No time is every spent to suggest that body-hair is natural, normal, or beautiful. Of course, there is no money to be made by telling people that they are normal and that their bodies are fine.
Is this racism? Is this wrong? Or is body-hair just "out-of-fashion" right now? Would permanently removing one's body-hair be a rejection of one's ancestry?
DISCUSS!
1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
Now, what is Racism?
the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races 2: discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race
Now, here's my question: Is Mainstream American Culture racist regarding body-hair? Are hairy people made to feel shameful by society?
If women are shown with hairy armpits, it is usually in a comedy. People's reaction is usually one of disgust or shock. Women are rarely, if ever, shown with hairy legs. Usually, this depiction is part of a Feminist or Hippie character's "quirky traits." It's never treated as normal. In the realm of pornography, female bodyhair is considered a niche market unless it is a small neatly trimmed patch in one place. Female fashion models never show leg, or under-arm hair.
If men are shown to be hairy, it only sometimes provokes disgust. "That's not a sweater, aaaarrrggghhhhh." Men are allowed to have hairy arms, underarms, legs, and chest (if not too hairy), but back-hair is almost universally reviled in the mainstream media. Gay porn embraces hairy men, and hairless men alike.
Is there anything wrong with having body-hair? Is touching a hairy person "gross?"
The way I see it, body-hair is a genetic trait like skin color. Pacific Islanders have very little body-hair. Europeans tend to have more. It is naturally occurring, and should be nothing to be ashamed of. Why should anyone be ashamed of the body they were born with, or their ancestry? Why should anyone be embarrassed by thier DNA? Unfortunately, the message society gives is that we should be ashamed. The airwaves are littered with commercials for razors, shavers, hair removal products, etc. No time is every spent to suggest that body-hair is natural, normal, or beautiful. Of course, there is no money to be made by telling people that they are normal and that their bodies are fine.
Is this racism? Is this wrong? Or is body-hair just "out-of-fashion" right now? Would permanently removing one's body-hair be a rejection of one's ancestry?
DISCUSS!
<a href="http://roughies.comicgenesis.com">
<a href="http://roughies.comicgenesis.com">Roughies</a>
For fans of Brainwashing and Garbage Eating.

<a href="http://roughies.comicgenesis.com">Roughies</a>
For fans of Brainwashing and Garbage Eating.
- Isukiyomi
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2446
- Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:08 am
- Location: The Big Apple
- Contact:
I'm not sure it it's racism or not. Do you think another example would be the blonde hair blue-eyed white woman as the idealized image of female beauty? 
Valar Morghulis - Michiko Monogatari & Tehuti
- Stinkywigfiddle
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3479
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Under your skin
- Contact:
- Keffria
- The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

- Posts: 3748
- Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
- Location: not-France
I think it's more a beauty stereotype than an example of racism; I mean, although excess body hair is generally looked down upon, there are better (or, at least, more easily visible) ways to judge a person. When was the last time you heard someone hurling a racial slur involving hairy armpits?
(So much for starting a controversial topic, apparently.)
At any rate, whatever else it is, shaving is certainly far too time-consuming.
I say, let's ban the razor! Who's with me?
...
Ehh...
(So much for starting a controversial topic, apparently.)
At any rate, whatever else it is, shaving is certainly far too time-consuming.
I say, let's ban the razor! Who's with me?
...
Ehh...
- IVstudios
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3660
- Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
- Location: My little office
- Contact:
I wouldn't say it's racism either. It's a little discriminatory but I don't think hairy people have any trouble getting service in restraints or anything. Plus, anyone can get rid of their hair, whether or not hey choose to is their decision. It may be a tad shallow that only non-hairy women are considered beautiful, but it's a bit of a moot point because all societies have some standard of beauty. One could argue that it's discriminatory not to like people with crummy attitudes.
"Why don't you like me?"
"Because you're a bitch."
"Thats discriminatory against bitchy women!" [/sort of kidding]
"Why don't you like me?"
"Because you're a bitch."
"Thats discriminatory against bitchy women!" [/sort of kidding]
- MariaAndMichelle
- Cartoon Henchgirls
- Posts: 3568
- Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:42 pm
- Location: Together
- Contact:
- TheLoserHero
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:40 am
- Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".
- Contact:
To me, it's not about being attractive. It's about being seen as "normal." What if I applied your statement to another genetic trait like this: "Skin-lightening Treatments exist. Any black person can lighten their skin, whether or not they choose to is their own decision." Anyone suggesting that black people would be more attractive (or more normal) with lighter skin, would be accused of racism. Michael Jackson lightened his skin and is considered freakish because of it. I'm not advocating people change their skin color.Plus, anyone can get rid of their hair, whether or not hey choose to is their decision.
I'm advocating acceptance of our natural bodies. Your DNA wants you hairy, DO NOT DENY YOUR DNA! I'm saying the media is working against a healthy attitude on the subject.
About this standard of beauty... If the body-hair was just ignored by the media (like those completely unsexy brunettes who wear glasses*), I'd say it was personal preference.beauty stereotype
But here, when the Media deals with body-hair, it is almost always treated negatively.
* brunettes who wear glasses are actually the second-most** attractive people on the planet, but I don't want to be killed by the CIA/Illuminati/Mafia who prefer blondes
** schwarzhaarige*** women who wear glasses are the most attractive
*** german term for black-haired****
**** in America, they ignore the black-haired people. Everyone knows the phrase "Blonde, Brunette, or Redhead." Why leave black-hair out? What's up with that?
<a href="http://roughies.comicgenesis.com">
<a href="http://roughies.comicgenesis.com">Roughies</a>
For fans of Brainwashing and Garbage Eating.

<a href="http://roughies.comicgenesis.com">Roughies</a>
For fans of Brainwashing and Garbage Eating.
- TheLoserHero
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 942
- Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:40 am
- Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".
- Contact:
- Mercury Hat
- Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

- Posts: 5608
- Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm
- Location: Hello city.
- Contact:
The good thing about being a natural blonde is that I naturally have light body hair. I'm 18 and I've never once shaved my legs, but at a casual glance, you can't really tell. My leg and arm hair might as well be described as "clear".
As far as shaving goes, I dunno, I've been tempted to take it up a few times, but I'm really just too lazy to do anything about it.
As far as shaving goes, I dunno, I've been tempted to take it up a few times, but I'm really just too lazy to do anything about it.
- IVstudios
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3660
- Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
- Location: My little office
- Contact:
If you're happy with how you look that's great, but body hair no longer serves any purpose beyond fashion. The purpose of body hair was to keep us warm when it's cold, but now we have cloths for that. So if people want to cut off their useless body hair because they think it makes them look better who cares, if they want to leave it on Thats cool too, but I don't have to find those people attractive. I've got nothing against them personally, but I'm not into that sort of thing. Saying that is racist is along the same lines as calling anyone who isn't bisexual sexist.Okie wrote:I'm advocating acceptance of our natural bodies. Your DNA wants you hairy, DO NOT DENY YOUR DNA! I'm saying the media is working against a healthy attitude on the subject.
- Isukiyomi
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2446
- Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:08 am
- Location: The Big Apple
- Contact:
There is no such thing as "race". It's a social construct.
Valar Morghulis - Michiko Monogatari & Tehuti
Let me start by saying that I am a hairy sonofagun who, judging by my dad's and brother's appearances and Italian ancestry, is only going to have a darker and cloudier appearance as the years go by. That said, I do have a few things against bodily hair in general.
First, it's indecisive. It's not the smooth, adorable skin that's so nice to the touch, nor is it the thick, soft fur that cats and dogs wear so well. It's just scraggly and inhibiting, like the goatee on that one guy who kept pestering me because I wouldn't read his screenplay for "La Chupacabra."
Add to that, it's a greasetrap. Given that its function was once to keep a person's body warm, it still does that, even if it's way too warm and humid out and you have to do a lot of walking. And can the resulting sweat be quickly wicked away through a shirt or whatnot? No! It stays locked in the network of ever-more-disgusting hairs that cover the surface that I want clean.
What's more, the hair sometimes grows back into the skin. That's happened to me several times and I developed a rather painful sore on my arm just a couple of weeks ago from that.
It also manages to weave itself into the socks and long-sleeved shirts I wear and rips itself out when I take them off.
On a less personal note, hair-removal has been around since Otzi, or whatever they're calling the Iceman now. His corpse had a noticeably trimmed beard, possible evidence of ancient barbershop quartets.
And don't try to pretend facial hair isn't part of body hair. If you're so dead-set on letting body hair flourish, then men should all be walking about with their ZZ-Top or Fu Manchu appearances (not to mention forelocks).
--Sij
First, it's indecisive. It's not the smooth, adorable skin that's so nice to the touch, nor is it the thick, soft fur that cats and dogs wear so well. It's just scraggly and inhibiting, like the goatee on that one guy who kept pestering me because I wouldn't read his screenplay for "La Chupacabra."
Add to that, it's a greasetrap. Given that its function was once to keep a person's body warm, it still does that, even if it's way too warm and humid out and you have to do a lot of walking. And can the resulting sweat be quickly wicked away through a shirt or whatnot? No! It stays locked in the network of ever-more-disgusting hairs that cover the surface that I want clean.
What's more, the hair sometimes grows back into the skin. That's happened to me several times and I developed a rather painful sore on my arm just a couple of weeks ago from that.
It also manages to weave itself into the socks and long-sleeved shirts I wear and rips itself out when I take them off.
On a less personal note, hair-removal has been around since Otzi, or whatever they're calling the Iceman now. His corpse had a noticeably trimmed beard, possible evidence of ancient barbershop quartets.
And don't try to pretend facial hair isn't part of body hair. If you're so dead-set on letting body hair flourish, then men should all be walking about with their ZZ-Top or Fu Manchu appearances (not to mention forelocks).
--Sij
As another note, someone tried to make a Firefighters of New York calendar after the 9-11 tragedy, accompanied by a quote from some fashion designer that the hairy, masculine look would be getting more popular.
To that I say, ha. The hairless androgynous models will never fall from their catwalk thrones.
--Sij
To that I say, ha. The hairless androgynous models will never fall from their catwalk thrones.
--Sij
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
I remember the first time I shaved my legs, I accidently shaved off a mosquito bite. It made a weird slicing noise. And not having hair on my legs felt weird so I've only done it 3 times in my life.Mercury_Hat wrote: As far as shaving goes, I dunno, I've been tempted to take it up a few times, but I'm really just too lazy to do anything about it.
- Stinkywigfiddle
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3479
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Under your skin
- Contact:
- Tim
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3285
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
- Location: State of WA, formerly MA
- Contact:
Heh, another suggestive typo.ivstudios wrote: It's a little discriminatory but I don't think hairy people have any trouble getting service in restraints or anything.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!








