Would you take the money?
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
- Jim North
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6659
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
- Location: The Omnipresent Here
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
If a couple hundred dollars showed up in my account, I'd take it. A couple hundred dollars extra might be my mistake . . . I've miscalculated my account balance before and ended up with more money than I thought I had. Of course, I've also had the opposite happen as well, so it's not all sunshine and roses. Anyway.
If a couple million dollars showed up in my account, however, then it's either their mistake, or they really need to tell me about a dead rich relative that I wasn't previously aware of and the ridiculously large inheritance he secretly handed out to every member of his estranged family. Either way, it needs to be brought to their attention and the situation resolved appropriately.
Oh ho! The Anarchist saying he'd report the problem to the pertinent authorities? What tomfoolery is this? Well, I'll tell you what sort of tomfoolery this is.
I'm not a thief. I'll steal if it is the only means I have to survive, but millions of dollars is way more than I could possibly need to survive. Taking it therefore would put me squarely in the thieving for greed's sake area. Which brings me to . . .
I'm not greedy. If I could get to where I was comfortable and could go without seriously worrying about bills or food (regular worrying is almost assuredly unavoidable and quite possibly somewhat necessary), then I'd be happy. My highest aspirations in life include living in a modestly (a single room would be fine with me!) sized home out in the country, taking my friends and family out to eat every few weeks or so, and actually having a car that works for longer than a couple of months. And I'd prefer to work for the cash in decent sized, regular installments, not just have it handed over for free in a huge gob I wouldn't really know what to do with anyway.
I'm not a jerk. That money didn't just come from nowhere. Somebody somewhere is accountable for it. If I take that money and run and get away with it, then that somebody is quite likely going to get raked over coals for my misdeed. Even if the money doesn't end up having to be replaced due to the freak nature of a computer error that placed all this imaginary cash in my account, then there's still likely to be investigations of the bank employees, the programmers, and whoever else might possibly be responsible for me hopping off in a big money boat made of money. There could be firings, fines, imprisonment, and possibly deportation involved. Sure I'd like enough money to get by on for a while, but not at the expense of potentially harming others by my actions.
It's the right thing to do. As I've said 'round these parts before, no rulers does not mean no rules. Whether or not I'd get caught would not be a factor since my own personal sense of right and wrong exists separately of what Johnny Law and the like tries to tell me, and that sense tells me that reporting the money would be the right thing to do. Therefore, I would do it.
I don't see this sort of situation as any sort of dilemma, moral or otherwise. It's a pretty straight shot.
If a couple million dollars showed up in my account, however, then it's either their mistake, or they really need to tell me about a dead rich relative that I wasn't previously aware of and the ridiculously large inheritance he secretly handed out to every member of his estranged family. Either way, it needs to be brought to their attention and the situation resolved appropriately.
Oh ho! The Anarchist saying he'd report the problem to the pertinent authorities? What tomfoolery is this? Well, I'll tell you what sort of tomfoolery this is.
I'm not a thief. I'll steal if it is the only means I have to survive, but millions of dollars is way more than I could possibly need to survive. Taking it therefore would put me squarely in the thieving for greed's sake area. Which brings me to . . .
I'm not greedy. If I could get to where I was comfortable and could go without seriously worrying about bills or food (regular worrying is almost assuredly unavoidable and quite possibly somewhat necessary), then I'd be happy. My highest aspirations in life include living in a modestly (a single room would be fine with me!) sized home out in the country, taking my friends and family out to eat every few weeks or so, and actually having a car that works for longer than a couple of months. And I'd prefer to work for the cash in decent sized, regular installments, not just have it handed over for free in a huge gob I wouldn't really know what to do with anyway.
I'm not a jerk. That money didn't just come from nowhere. Somebody somewhere is accountable for it. If I take that money and run and get away with it, then that somebody is quite likely going to get raked over coals for my misdeed. Even if the money doesn't end up having to be replaced due to the freak nature of a computer error that placed all this imaginary cash in my account, then there's still likely to be investigations of the bank employees, the programmers, and whoever else might possibly be responsible for me hopping off in a big money boat made of money. There could be firings, fines, imprisonment, and possibly deportation involved. Sure I'd like enough money to get by on for a while, but not at the expense of potentially harming others by my actions.
It's the right thing to do. As I've said 'round these parts before, no rulers does not mean no rules. Whether or not I'd get caught would not be a factor since my own personal sense of right and wrong exists separately of what Johnny Law and the like tries to tell me, and that sense tells me that reporting the money would be the right thing to do. Therefore, I would do it.
I don't see this sort of situation as any sort of dilemma, moral or otherwise. It's a pretty straight shot.
Last edited by Jim North on Fri May 22, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
- LibertyCabbage
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 4667
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
- Location: bat country
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
I definitely wouldn't take it. Even though it's a clerical error or system malfunction or whatever, it's somebody else's money. Taking someone else's possessions without their permission is stealing, and stealing is wrong.
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
bowing down to the state of entitlement? Pwshaw Anarchist.Jim North wrote:Oh ho! The Anarchist saying he'd report the problem to the pertinent authorities? What tomfoolery is this? Well, I'll tell you what sort of tomfoolery this is.
- Jim North
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6659
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
- Location: The Omnipresent Here
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
Why can't anything I do ever make you happy, Phact?! Why can't you just love me for me?!
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
- Joel Fagin
- nothos adrisor (GTC)
- Posts: 6014
- Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
- Location: City of Lights
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
The trouble is that they'd still want you to pay it back.Prettysenshi wrote:I would take it, and then give it all away.
- Joel Fagin
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: Would you take the money?
Honestly, I find it a little strange that for most people, the speculation stops at "I would *NEVER* take the money! HARUMPH" and very few people have actually thought about what they could spend six million dollars on. I mean, you'd figure in a forum of comic writers, the imagination would flow at least a *little* bit.

- Tim
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3285
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
- Location: State of WA, formerly MA
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
But that wasn't the original question.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!
- Dracomax
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:13 pm
- Location: in a defective ficional universe
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
I'd withdraw the money, then spend 3 million dollars destroying the bank.
what?
what?



You and TRI are the crazy mad ones.~Cope
Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a day; set a man on fire, keep him warm for life.~unknown
- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
I run such scenarios through my head each and every day. Talking about it will just make it not happen. Don't wanna be a jinx!Killbert-Robby wrote:Honestly, I find it a little strange that for most people, the speculation stops at "I would *NEVER* take the money! HARUMPH" and very few people have actually thought about what they could spend six million dollars on. I mean, you'd figure in a forum of comic writers, the imagination would flow at least a *little* bit.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: Would you take the money?
Oh come on, like any of the other threads are 100% on topicTim wrote:But that wasn't the original question.

- Jim North
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6659
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
- Location: The Omnipresent Here
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
If I had 6 meeleeon dollars to spend, I would convert it all to quarters and buy 24 meeleeon gumballs.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
- Prettysenshi
- Bork Bork Bork
- Posts: 2269
- Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:23 am
- Location: Anywhere else but here....
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
trendsetterJim North wrote:If I had 6 meeleeon dollars to spend, I would convert it all to quarters and buy 24 meeleeon gumballs.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: Would you take the money?
Fuck that, 6 million 1 dollar notes, fill up my pool, fucking swim in it

- Bustertheclown
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2390
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
- Location: ATOMIC!
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
Ouch. Money cuts.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
every thread is 100% on topic. always.Killbert-Robby wrote:Oh come on, like any of the other threads are 100% on topicTim wrote:But that wasn't the original question.
- K-Dawg
- I wanna LIVE
- Posts: 4844
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Yes, let us check!
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
You'd be wise to report it to them.
Once the bank realizes their mistake (and they will with that much money) they are just going to take all the money back, whether you took out some or not. There's no finders keepers here.
Once the bank realizes their mistake (and they will with that much money) they are just going to take all the money back, whether you took out some or not. There's no finders keepers here.
- Killbert-Robby
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 6876
- Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
- Location: in the butt
Re: Would you take the money?
Six million dollars is a lot of money to the REST of us, KEON.K-Dawg wrote:You'd be wise to report it to them.
Once the bank realizes their mistake (and they will with that much money) they are just going to take all the money back, whether you took out some or not. There's no finders keepers here.

- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
If I had a million dollars with no strings attached, I'd invest them. A steady incom of money is smarter than sudden burst of luxury, and I'm not exactly a person who is used to luxury, or cares about it much anyway. Fail that, I would a) travel b) start a serious comic magazine in serbian c) buy a crapload of musical equipmentBustertheclown wrote:I run such scenarios through my head each and every day. Talking about it will just make it not happen. Don't wanna be a jinx!Killbert-Robby wrote:Honestly, I find it a little strange that for most people, the speculation stops at "I would *NEVER* take the money! HARUMPH" and very few people have actually thought about what they could spend six million dollars on. I mean, you'd figure in a forum of comic writers, the imagination would flow at least a *little* bit.
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
A and C... and we can start the real life Keentones band *l*McDuffies wrote:If I had a million dollars with no strings attached, I'd invest them. A steady incom of money is smarter than sudden burst of luxury, and I'm not exactly a person who is used to luxury, or cares about it much anyway. Fail that, I would a) travel b) start a serious comic magazine in serbian c) buy a crapload of musical equipmentBustertheclown wrote:I run such scenarios through my head each and every day. Talking about it will just make it not happen. Don't wanna be a jinx!Killbert-Robby wrote:Honestly, I find it a little strange that for most people, the speculation stops at "I would *NEVER* take the money! HARUMPH" and very few people have actually thought about what they could spend six million dollars on. I mean, you'd figure in a forum of comic writers, the imagination would flow at least a *little* bit.
- Rkolter
- Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

- Posts: 16399
- Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
- Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
- Contact:
Re: Would you take the money?
If I actually had a million dollars to myself, I'd also invest it, then open a jewelry business.









