Gary Gygax is dead.

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics
User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Bustertheclown »

rkolter wrote:
This is one of the few of these kinds of threads that I really feel bad about. This guy helped to define my life - I'm still an avid roleplayer.

He will be missed.
My sentiments, exactly. I wonder how my brother will react to this. He's the one who got me into D&D, and he's the one who keeps drawing me back again and again. Much of our relationship is built upon weekend gaming sessions. If only for that reason, I must say that Mr. Gygax was an influential figure in my life. At least we can be sure that his legacy will endure. That's something, indeed.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
834n
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: A City of Rock and Roll
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by 834n »

...
Damn
:(

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Joel Fagin »

Image

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Jim North »

Fast.

And awesome.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Dragonkingdoms
Regular Poster
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:08 am
Location: A little place at the southeast end of America
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Dragonkingdoms »

D:

Well, I'm more of a Final Fantasy fan (through the original X, anyway), but Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Breath of Fire and all the others wouldn't exist were it not for D&D.

Just realized he was almost exactly half his age of death when Dungeons and Dragons was invented. :(

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Vorticus »

Jim North wrote:Fast.

And awesome.
This. Plus a "gosh darn you Joel for beating me to posting it!"

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Joel Fagin »

Vorticus wrote:This. Plus a "gosh darn you Joel for beating me to posting it!"
I have to admitt I was surprised I managed to be first.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Grabmygoblin »

Image

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Phact0rri »

Mr.Bob wrote:How does one go about burning a die?

Knowing rkolter I'm guessing thermite reaction.
wooden die maybe?
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Prettydragoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am
Location: Finland, Finland, Finland
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Prettydragoon »

By Grabthar's hammer, I will avenge... uh... sorry, wrong fandom. Geekdom? Thingy. I've never really been much of a gamer, but even I recognise the name of Gary Gygax. He really made a major contribution to Western civilization. RIP, Mr. Gygax.
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!

User avatar
Jessi_B
Regular Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Jessi_B »

It's very sad. My thoughts are with his family.

Coincidentally, I'll be going to a gaming con this weekend - I bet there will be a couple of tribute one-shots going.

User avatar
Drowemos
Regular Poster
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:39 am

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Drowemos »

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Hogan
Regular Poster
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:11 am
Location: Where the worlds cross over
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Hogan »

And Weregeek chimes in...

The legacy of his creations are what became a great deal of my upbringing and helped make me the one I am today (for good or bad, you decide... I know who I am)... he was a great man with even greater ideas, and he wil be missed :(

... looks like they'll be needing a new issue of Legends and Lore, cause a new deity needs to be included...
When webcomics clash: The Webcomic Crossover & Cameo Archive!
Here it comes... the CameoComic

User avatar
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:52 am
Location: My little office
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by IVstudios »

:cry:

User avatar
Rhenny
Regular Poster
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:51 am
Location: Heartland
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Rhenny »

That is sad, were it not for his games, and the games that came after it I never would have gamed.. and therefore never started doing character sketches which led to me becoming an artist. truely a popculture icon has passed.

User avatar
BrownEyedCat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1848
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:24 pm
Location: Lurking in the Corners
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by BrownEyedCat »

Order of the Stick did a memorial comic too.
Image

Image
Previously Catrine until my account crashed.

User avatar
Sketchywallflowr
Regular Poster
Posts: 474
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: Sexpot Central

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Sketchywallflowr »

There are very few celebrities that die and I will care. (Heath Ledger? I didn't miss him.) But Gary created something brilliant and fresh, and that is teh awesome. I flash my boobs in his honor... I think he'd appreciate that.

( * )( * )
Need me to kill someone? I'm a hired assasin in my spare time.

User avatar
Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:51 am
Location: Lincoln, NE
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Boozeathon4billion »

All of the following comics did a comic in honor of E. Gary Gygax.

Dueling Analogs
Dork Tower
Exiern
Full Frontal Nerdity
GU Comics
Order of the Stick
Penny Arcade
Weregeek
XKCD

And no, I didn't find them all on my own... I copied them from the Dueling Analogs blog. 8-)
Last edited by Boozeathon4billion on Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

User avatar
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1993
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:11 pm
Location: The Frigid Northern Wastes.
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Jesusabdullah »

Also:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1093
(On the chalkboard.)

Also: I didn't know my DnD history at all, but this is all still pretty :( to me, having played a little bit of version 3.x.

User avatar
Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:51 am
Location: Lincoln, NE
Contact:

Re: Gary Gygax is dead.

Post by Boozeathon4billion »

Nice... I can't believe that I read that this morning and didn't see the chalkboard. Durr...
Image Image

Locked