A philosophical question the likes of which we've never seen

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Do they?

Hellz yeah! Nothing can compare to being able to hit that thang!
12
31%
Of course not! If you really care for them, you will stave off your animal lusts!
2
5%
Eh, I dunno. I suppose it depends on the situation.
13
33%
Romance?! We're cartoonists! We have no time for such things... at least that's what I tell myself...
12
31%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
DEVO-Bot
Regular Poster
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: College, CA
Contact:

Post by DEVO-Bot »

cjburgandy wrote:I quickly discovered, when you live in a tight GLBT comunity, after a while you can only date people you've slept with, people your exs' have slept with or really creepy women that are built like refrigerators and wear leather and talk about spanking you in an unpleast way... and that kind of started to creep me out.
It's pretty much just like that at my school... fortunately for me, I pretty much hate the guys that spend a lot of time with the LGBT people, so I kinda get around that rule. Mostly by being single all the time, of course, but it's really the lesser of two evils...

And real-life romances are so much better, because then you have somebody to buy things for, and you get to see their face when you give it to them.
<KensouX> DEVO-Bot spouts out the mad phrases, tweekin' your brain harder than 35 cocaine cases.
Image

Now Alive Again

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

cjburgandy wrote:...after a while you can only date people you've slept with, people your exs' have slept with or really creepy women that are built like refrigerators and wear leather and talk about spanking you in an unpleast way... and that kind of started to creep me out.
HAWT!!!
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

no, creepy. I hate knowing who's slept with who. I think I found someone knew and of legel age and one of my friends will go "oh she slept with Person A, B, C, and D at lest 3 times oh and person E who use to date you. I've only slept with A and C. I'll ask them if she was a good lay"....

It just seems wrong to me.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

cjburgandy wrote:I quickly discovered, when you live in a tight GLBT comunity, after a while you can only date people you've slept with, people your exs' have slept with or really creepy women that are built like refrigerators and wear leather and talk about spanking you in an unpleast way... and that kind of started to creep me out.
Question the first... what does GLBT stand for?
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transexual?

The one thing that irritates me about the gay community to no end (Or any minority community, for hat matter.) is that they put so much emphasis on their being different. Just that fact they make their own communities illustrates this. It seems like any minority that has felt persecution has some sort of assbackward xenophobia greater than those who persecuted them.

I mean, heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, transexual, yiff-sexual... on and on and on.
The only sexual I care about is the I'm-not-getting-any-sex-ual.

If people spent less time worrying about who's fucking who than who's fucking who over maybe our society wouldn't be such an assbackward place to live in.

Gay pride, Black pride, Asian pride, Aryan pride, Jewish pride, Republican pride, Adidas pride, McDonalds pride.... y'know frankly I don't give a shit anymore.

The majority of the people who aren't in affiliation with minority rights groups have evolved past the point of actually caring. You're here, you're queer, and we're used to it - stop blocking the road; I want my greaseball burger!
I had a gay teacher and he was a good friend of mine. He himself found that a lot of these "pride" groups and these "communities" really had no ground. Y'know, maybe back in the seventies when coming out was such a big deal that these sorts of parades and shiz were actually useful to help society evolve past bias, but today is the twenty-first century - we should be celebrating webcomic pride by now.


That said, let me ruin anything I said with something completely stupid.
Image
Image

JexKerome
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:02 pm

Post by JexKerome »

In Mexico will have a saying:

Amor de lejos, amor de pendejos


Give it a whirl through your beloved Babelfish, Warren, and let's see what comes up.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Post by Grabmygoblin »

Van Douchebag wrote:
cjburgandy wrote:I quickly discovered, when you live in a tight GLBT comunity, after a while you can only date people you've slept with, people your exs' have slept with or really creepy women that are built like refrigerators and wear leather and talk about spanking you in an unpleast way... and that kind of started to creep me out.
Question the first... what does GLBT stand for?
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transexual?

The one thing that irritates me about the gay community to no end (Or any minority community, for hat matter.) is that they put so much emphasis on their being different. Just that fact they make their own communities illustrates this. It seems like any minority that has felt persecution has some sort of assbackward xenophobia greater than those who persecuted them.

I mean, heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, transexual, yiff-sexual... on and on and on.
The only sexual I care about is the I'm-not-getting-any-sex-ual.

If people spent less time worrying about who's fucking who than who's fucking who over maybe our society wouldn't be such an assbackward place to live in.

Gay pride, Black pride, Asian pride, Aryan pride, Jewish pride, Republican pride, Adidas pride, McDonalds pride.... y'know frankly I don't give a shit anymore.

The majority of the people who aren't in affiliation with minority rights groups have evolved past the point of actually caring. You're here, you're queer, and we're used to it - stop blocking the road; I want my greaseball burger!
I had a gay teacher and he was a good friend of mine. He himself found that a lot of these "pride" groups and these "communities" really had no ground. Y'know, maybe back in the seventies when coming out was such a big deal that these sorts of parades and shiz were actually useful to help society evolve past bias, but today is the twenty-first century - we should be celebrating webcomic pride by now.


That said, let me ruin anything I said with something completely stupid.
Image
ok, I apoloize if this turns the thread political, but I have to respond to Van Douchbag (he started it!)
first question: yes, you're right glbt- gay, lesbian bisexual, transgendered
sometimes you see lgbt as well, they just switched around the l and the g.

second question: I understand what you are saying. I am only so-so politically active, and sometimes I feel goofy when I am. but we are fighting for our rights. and when we have those pride parades, it's because we spent so many years living in fear, and still do today. I am not open at work, because I am only here for the summer, but my dad has to work here for another 10-15 years. I don't want my dad to have to deal with any hazing. I could stand up to the assholes who sit behind me drinking their coffee talking about their "fag neighbors" and how they "hit on me" and how they would love to "hit them back sometime with a faggot" but I know I wouldn't be the one who has to deal with the reparcusions. glbt people (forgive the shortening, it's just easier) have to deal with shit like this on a daily basis. it takes a LOT of courage to "come out" (which really is just a process of letting everyone in on a deeply held secret, not you "coming out" to the world). I came out to my friends in october. I couldn't break the news to my parents until march. (can't tell you what those holidays were like) I was so relieved they accepted me. I had kept having nightmares for months before of them casting me out. but I still haven't come out to my grandparents yet, and probably never will.
next time you see a pride parade, I hope you appreciate what they are parading for.
Image

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

Well, that's true - every ethnicity, color, credo, and even language faces biggotry. There's not much you can do about that except deal with it.

I mean, the Ku Klux Klan hates blacks, the Jews and Muslims hate each other, Americans hates any French, the Quebecois hate Native American, people insecure about their own sexuality hate those who've chosen "alternative" sexuality, jocks hate geeks, Canadians laugh at Americans, and on and on and on.

These kind of people will exist forever and no amount of parading will change their mind. This leaves you with two options - just deal with the fact they don't like you since it's probably no skin off your back if'n y'got a thick hide, or you can throw your sexuality in their face and be just as bad as they are and even, in some cases, provoke them.

Look at it this way - it's alright to celebrate who you are, but at the same time you must respect others around you who feel differently.

Moreso, what if we held all pride paraders to the same standards as that we hold for those who parade with "Aryan pride" or "white pride"?
Some of these pride people right there are not racist at all, but like blacks, and asians, and homosexuals, and whatever, merely enjoy being what they are and want to celebrate it.

BUT, unfortunately, the second these white pride people step into the street they get booed out. It's a double-standard, see.
Apparently you can only parade so long as you're not a Christian straight white male.
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

Society is geared around defaults. The default human in American society is Christian, Straight, White, and Male.

By default, I mean that if you do not meet the defaults, you are described in conditionals.

A female astronaut (not just an astronaut), a Jewish Senator (not just a senator), a black man (not just a man), a lesbian (not just a person).

By comparison, nobody feels the need to call Neil Armstrong a male astronaut, or Orrin Hatch a Christian Senator. Why? Those are the accepted defaults in society.

Don't get me wrong - in many cases I do think there is an overreaction by the media and the uneducated as well. For example, I'm entirely against affirmative action (insofar as it's the deliberate, goverment sanctioned rewarding of contracts to companies that base their workforce on gender and racial quotas), and willing to call into question anyone who complains about a White American College Fund when the Black American College Fund already exists.

That said though, you have to realize that there are in fact groups that are discriminated against in the United States, and for whom maintaining the status quo is not a good option. How is the status quo maintained? By not saying or doing anything about it. If nobody complains, there is no reason to change.

So there are Gay Pride demonstrations and and a lawyer body that specifically caters to black people, and Wiccans are fighting for the right to practice their religion non-destructively on public grounds. These aren't attacks against society; they're a legitamate means of keeping the disenfranchised in the public's eye. That's the only way to effect change, and change isn't always a bad thing.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

JexKerome wrote:In Mexico will have a saying:

Amor de lejos, amor de pendejos


Give it a whirl through your beloved Babelfish, Warren, and let's see what comes up.
Love of distant spot, love of assholes

You can't make this stuff up... it's great! :wink:
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Post by Grabmygoblin »

but it's not exactly a double standard when you are against the kkk marching but are for gay pride parades: the kkk stands for hatred of anything they are not, gay pride stand for just letting us be accepted.
Image

User avatar
TheGoobla
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Your anus. (That's how you do a pun, right?)

Post by TheGoobla »

OMFG! You've ruined my thread! Just like you fags ruin everything else!!!

:cry:

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Post by Grabmygoblin »

TheGoobla wrote:OMFG! You've ruined my thread! Just like you fags ruin everything else!!!

:cry:
quick, he's onto the gay agenda! kill him!!
Image

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

TheGoobla wrote:OMFG! You've ruined my thread! Just like you fags ruin everything else!!!

:cry:
Actually it was a straight man complaining about us fags that ruined your thread.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
TheGoobla
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Your anus. (That's how you do a pun, right?)

Post by TheGoobla »

Heh heh... irony.

Damn cracker ass suburbanite always messing shit up!

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

*gives the Goobla a quick hug while no one is looking*
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
TheGoobla
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Your anus. (That's how you do a pun, right?)

Post by TheGoobla »

* Takes a quick nap in CJ's cleavage *

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

Y'know, at least with online relationships, if some bastard decides not to bother showing up, you didn't have to walk anywhere to meet him. *grumbles*

Men are pigs. *does something to undermine that statement, like maybe groping Goobla*

User avatar
Van Douchebag
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: The Televizzle
Contact:

Post by Van Douchebag »

grabmygoblin wrote:but it's not exactly a double standard when you are against the kkk marching but are for gay pride parades: the kkk stands for hatred of anything they are not, gay pride stand for just letting us be accepted.
Ah, but I mentioned a white pride parade being booed, not the Ku Klux.
Image

User avatar
TheGoobla
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Your anus. (That's how you do a pun, right?)

Post by TheGoobla »

Oh sweet lord! Is it sexify Goobla week or something?

* Resists raving animal lusts of the KeenWomen *

User avatar
DEVO-Bot
Regular Poster
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: College, CA
Contact:

Post by DEVO-Bot »

I run a "students of European descent coalition" at school. We get together and drink expensive beer, argue about British imperialism, and listen to imported music. You don't have to be of European descent to join, you just have to have "an interest in matters of European ancestry." I don't think we've ever offended anybody, at least not enough that they made a stink about it... we're even going to try to get funding from the school next year as a legitimate student organization. And I'm not just doing it to be edgy and in-your-face, I'm honestly proud of my European heritage.

On a side note, I really don't like the LGBT community at my school... they're all so obsessed with being gay. I just can't stand people who focus too much on any one aspect of their being. People who say that music is their life annoy me just as much as militant lesbians who don't ever talk about anything else, and this is coming from a gay band geek. And to top it all off, so many gay guys are so stupid. AIDS is back at near-epidemic levels in San Fransisco, because apparently it's OK to slut around now that there are drugs that won't let you die until twenty years later. Christ. Peole are so stuipd.
<KensouX> DEVO-Bot spouts out the mad phrases, tweekin' your brain harder than 35 cocaine cases.
Image

Now Alive Again

Locked