Can you swim?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Can you swim?

No
10
18%
Yes
47
82%
 
Total votes: 57

User avatar
Mr.GtF
Regular Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: On the Brim
Contact:

Post by Mr.GtF »

When I was really young I apparently told my Mum about a dream I had where I was swimming around in mid-air about my bedroom/ I then refused to do any 'conventional' swimming for ages after because it wasn't as cool or something.

I have since learnt to swim and indeed do find it to be a wholesome and rewarding activity.

Sigh.

*pretends to float away into the horizon*
Image

User avatar
Tetsuo75
Regular Poster
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:14 pm
Location: The land of big hopping rats- Australia
Contact:

Post by Tetsuo75 »

I started swimming when I was three and have never ever been afraid of the water... even though I was caught in a rip current once *looked to the horizon and beach looked really, really tiny....*

User avatar
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Fraggle Rock
Contact:

Post by Garneta »

Anyway, haven't read the rest of the thread...just gonna answer anyway...

I thought that swimming was just an instinct. I've always been able to, after all...but Jim told me awhile back that if you learn it when you're young it's an instinct, and you don't forget it, otherwise it's not, and you have to relearn, or something...I think.
Image
Image Image Image

User avatar
NakedElf
Regular Poster
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:39 am
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Post by NakedElf »

My husband finds it pretty odd that I can actually swim. Then again, he claims that it's weird that I can generally walk without somehow injuring myself. :P It's because I don't like swimming, which I generally dislike because I don't like being freezing cold, which happens to me rather quickly in a pool. And yet somehow I managed to do swim team and synchro and life guard training as a kid...
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

I can swim. I'm not great at it, but I can do the backstroke for a long time, and am pretty good swimming underwater. I'm not so hot with the normal forward stroke thing.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

I'm no olympic athlete or anything, but yeah I can swim.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
NakedElf
Regular Poster
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:39 am
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Post by NakedElf »

rkolter wrote:I can swim. I'm not great at it, but I can do the backstroke for a long time, and am pretty good swimming underwater. I'm not so hot with the normal forward stroke thing.
Freestyle, I assume.

I think freestyle tends to be badly taught. It's sort of assumed that the idea is to just point your body at the other end of the pool and then make your arms go in circles... But posture is actually important.
Image

User avatar
Sput
Needs an Oil Checkup
Posts: 2831
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:43 pm

Post by Sput »

I've fallen into white water rapids. That's fun! I escaped with a huge cut on my thigh. It is an awesome battlescar.

I've also almost gotten tugged away by the undertow.



That is significantly less fun.
lazy sput is lazy.

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

I took swimming lessons as a kid, but these days, I don't go to the pool/beach very often.
BrownEyedCat wrote:Pools are ideal, and my only problem with the various lakes, creeks, and ocean in the area are slimy things...
Agh, yes. I hate the feeling of stepping into slimy gook while wading around at the beach. I'm shuddering as I type this.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

I often dreamed of swimming in mid air too. I used to wake up dissapointed because the feel was really cool.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

Yep yep! I love swimming, although it's much more fun with other people. I prefer to play around in the pool rather than doing laps, but I do do them for exercise. As a kid I always failed swimming classes- not because I couldn't swim, but because I had trouble staying in my lane...I couldn't follow the line on the bottom of the pool. I sort of blame the instructor for that, though, as she never worked on it with me.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork
Posts: 2269
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:23 am
Location: Anywhere else but here....
Contact:

Post by Prettysenshi »

I sure as hell can't swim. Can't even float. Never been in water deeper than 5 feet.

User avatar
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Post by Grabmygoblin »

sure, kinda. real good at the doggie paddle. during elementary school I kept getting shoved into the kindergarten/beginners class because I was just not coordinated enough to do that stoke-breath-stroke-breathe out under water-thing, and to this day I'm no good at specific techniques except the breaststroke. but I think that if I fell out of a boat in a small/regular sized lake, I would be able to struggle ashore.
Image

User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.
Contact:

Post by Nanda »

I'm a very good swimmer. :D
Image Image

User avatar
[AlmightyPyro]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 5339
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:12 pm
Location: noitacoL

Post by [AlmightyPyro] »

I love swimming. I'm fairly good at it, but I can't do the whole speedy stroke stuff. I'm one kick ass doggy paddler. xD. I love to swim under water, I'd live there if I could breath water.
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

"I only know how to do it doggy style!"

Just kidding. I can swim enough to save my ass, but not much better.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
Prettydragoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am
Location: Finland, Finland, Finland
Contact:

And doggy style is fun too.

Post by Prettydragoon »

I like swimming. But I don't like getting water in my eyes. Fortunately I have a pair of goggles that actually do something.
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!

User avatar
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: Comi-what now?
Contact:

Post by Pimpette »

I can swim if I have to (I have a vague memory of some sort of swimming lessons from childhood) but for the most part I prefer to just splash around in shallow areas.
Anything deeper requires a pool noodle or equivalent that I can cling to.

I love beaches though. Cause I can build sandcastles.
Image

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

I like swimming, I'm pretty good at if for being non-athletic, but I'm afraid of water.


Well...water that's murky enough that I can't see if I'm going to bump into a corpse or a carnivorous fish, at least.





Especially the corpse. :(

User avatar
Nervous Spy
For your Eyes Only
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by Nervous Spy »

Killbert-Robby wrote:Oh but we do have mountains :

http://www.wasteservmalta.com/images/MA ... Lframe.jpg

Maghtab, where all the country's waste goes to die. Yes, thats all trash.
:o Woah, that almost looks worse than my room!
My new avatar is by someone who holds many <a href="http://indepos.comicgenesis.com/">Indefensible Positions</a>.

Locked