Story title?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Which is the better title?

The New Gender
7
78%
The First Man
2
22%
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

Joel Fagin wrote:
Dutch! wrote:Write the book. Worry about the title later.
Point.

- Joel Fagin
I agree. Sometimes I end up with the better titles after writing the thing.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Killbert-Robby wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:It would be terribly funny if comic named "The new sex" featured no sex in it whatsoever. Although some wouldn't be amused.
Such as me.
Funny, I was just thinking about you when I wrote that.

User avatar
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:04 am
Location: Violating your restraining order
Contact:

Post by Black Sparrow »

mcDuffies wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:It would be terribly funny if comic named "The new sex" featured no sex in it whatsoever. Although some wouldn't be amused.
Such as me.
Funny, I was just thinking about you when I wrote that.
Him and half the male population of the world. And some females.
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Still some males like Neko would appreciate cynism of it.

User avatar
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2397
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
Location: Australia

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

I fourth the "write first, then title it" notion.

The title of the book (I'm assuming that you're talking about having a dead-tree version physically printed) should work well with the cover. Everyone knows the old saying "can't judge a book by it's cover" but that's what is going to grab people's attention.

Of course, if your title is something that grabs attention (like the subject lines on some spam messages) but then the content of the book is totally different to what the title suggests (again, like most spam messages) then people are going to end up not liking the book (yet again, just like spam messages! That's a really good metaphor!).

Worst case scenario, let your editor / publisher give the book it's title. They know more about such things than we do (assuming that you use a reputable publisher... )

User avatar
Ladycheru
Regular Poster
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: Around
Contact:

Post by Ladycheru »

Mr.Bob wrote: When it comes to biological differences I think it would be more correct to refer it as "The New Sex".

---

Along Came Adam? :D
Yes, but in this immature world we live in...

And I take it that the fact that the hero's name is Adam is too obvious.
Image

Image

I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy.

User avatar
VileTerror
Anti-Villain
Posts: 3437
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:16 am
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.
Contact:

Hope it's a good editor.

Post by VileTerror »

Write the book anyway. Let the editor make decisions like that.
Haughty spirit and pride make for a wild roller coaster ride!
I mean, as long as you like fairly final endings.

Locked