Story title?

Topics which don't fit comfortably in any of the other forums go here. Spamming is not tolerated.
Forum rules
- Please use the forum attachment system for jam images, or link to the CG site specific to the Jam.
- Mark threads containing nudity in inlined images as NSFW
- Read The rules post for specifics

Which is the better title?

The New Gender
7
78%
The First Man
2
22%
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
Ladycheru
Regular Poster
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: Around
Contact:

Story title?

Post by Ladycheru »

I'm really bad at coming up with titles for things...

Erm... Uh, I'm writing a story, and I can't decide between 2 titles. If avoidable, I'd rather not discuss the content of the book, being that 1 it will be quite a while before it gets published (if it gets published,) and 2 I don't imagine most people knowing a lot about a book before reading it. Well, the titles I'm thinking about are "The New Gender" and "The First Man." Which would you be more likely to pick up and start reading?
Image

Image

I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy.

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

"New Gender". It's less clichéd sounding and immediately begs some interesting questions. However, it sounds either contemporary or science fiction and I don't know if that's what you're doing.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

Write the book. Worry about the title later.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Dutch! wrote:Write the book. Worry about the title later.
Point.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

Actually gender is a term that's only supposed to be used in terms of grammar and social categories. When it comes to biological differences I think it would be more correct to refer it as "The New Sex".

But an English major may say I'm wrong.

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

I'd totally buy a book called "The New Sex"
Image

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Killbert-Robby wrote:I'd totally buy a book called "The New Sex"
*looks at watch* Five posts. That's not far off the record, you know.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

I suggest title that is slightly altered but means basically the same:

"More sex"!

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

"The First Moan"?

User avatar
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:04 am
Location: Violating your restraining order
Contact:

Post by Black Sparrow »

I don't like either title, honestly. "The New Gender" sounds forced, and "The First Man" is, as was mentioned, cliched. I think you may need to think more creatively than this.
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

Along Came Adam? :D

User avatar
[AOD]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: On the run!
Contact:

Post by [AOD] »

I don't know... "The New Gender" (or "The New Sex") sounds like one of those pop-culture, mass-market 'alternative' medicine type books that bookstores sell like popcorn. And "The First Man" strikes me as being historical fiction, something about cavemen perhaps. Neither sound very appealing to me.

Try mixing famous cultural archetypes or symbols with modern-feeling or unusual words. For example:

"Earth Abides" -- A famous book by George R. Stewart

"Desert Solitaire" -- A famous book by Edward Abbey

And some things I just thought of on the spur of the moment.

"Eden Unbound"

"Neptune Rising"

"Elysium Unleashed"

"Eka Sapiens" (Dawn Man -- The First Man?)

@~AOD
My Comic Hexagon Death Squad

A Comic I do with my Buddy Raocow: Artificial Time XS

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

I think more book titles should have the word 'death' seamlessly incorporated into them.

User avatar
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:04 am
Location: Violating your restraining order
Contact:

Post by Black Sparrow »

"The New Death Gender?" "The New Gender of Death?"
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

User avatar
Rusty Knight
Regular Poster
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:12 am
Location: The Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul
Contact:

Post by Rusty Knight »

Morgan Ravenscroft wrote:I think more book titles should have the word 'death' seamlessly incorporated into them.
THe Death of the Gender Divide?

Nah.


The Death of Gender?


Nah


THe Death of Man?
ImageImageImage
My amazing avatar is by Black Sparrow
"Rusty Knight. A charitable heart who has spared the forum the untold horror that is his webcomic." ~ Yeahduff

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

It would be terribly funny if comic named "The new sex" featured no sex in it whatsoever. Although some wouldn't be amused.

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

mcDuffies wrote:It would be terribly funny if comic named "The new sex" featured no sex in it whatsoever. Although some wouldn't be amused.
Such as me.
Image

User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4667
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country
Contact:

Post by LibertyCabbage »

The First Man's New Gender!
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

User avatar
TRI
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1589
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm
Contact:

Post by TRI »

[AOD] wrote:I don't know... "The New Gender" (or "The New Sex") sounds like one of those pop-culture, mass-market 'alternative' medicine type books that bookstores sell like popcorn. And "The First Man" strikes me as being historical fiction, something about cavemen perhaps. Neither sound very appealing to me.
Ditto, except I could also imagine each of those being the title to a story in a sci-fi magazine about a man on a planet of women.

And without knowing anything about the book I can't tell if any of those vibes is even remotely appropriate.
ImageImageImage
"Yeah, that's the bridge pier (expletive). I thought it was the center. Oh (expletive)." ~ From the transcript of the recording device on board the ship which struck the San Franciso Bay Bridge last year, causing a 50,000 gallon oil spill.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Post by MixedMyth »

Morgan Ravenscroft wrote:Actually gender is a term that's only supposed to be used in terms of grammar and social categories. When it comes to biological differences I think it would be more correct to refer it as "The New Sex".

But an English major may say I'm wrong.
*gives Bob 10 points, which may be redeemed for sweet delicious chocolate out of Kirb's ear*
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

Locked