This is a pretty specific question, but does anyone know if using Scale Image in the GIMP to change something from a low resolution to a high resolution works if the image has already been drawn? Or does it have to be set to a certain resolution when it is created as a new image?
I had a comic finished as a 72dpi, and needed it as 300dpi, so I went into the GIMP, flattened the final version of the strip (after dialogue and balloons had been done) and used Scale Image to bring it up to 300dpi.
I'm not too sure how this works.
Question about Resolution
I don't want to sound mean here but the general rule of thumb when it comes to scaling up is-
Don't. ( Well unless it's vector )
Scaling up images that much in raster formats will give you horrible results as programs don't handle reproducing the pixels well and it'll give you a very blocky image that won't print well ( Which I assume is the reason you want it in 300 dpi).
Don't. ( Well unless it's vector )
Scaling up images that much in raster formats will give you horrible results as programs don't handle reproducing the pixels well and it'll give you a very blocky image that won't print well ( Which I assume is the reason you want it in 300 dpi).
i don't know how GIMP works, but in photoshop, you'd go to image>image size> then adjust the resolution.
but since you started at 72dpi and you're going to move it to 300dpi for like printing i suppose, don't do that. the quality will be REALLY bad.
you're gonna have to redo all those pages at 300dpi if you want to print stuff. should have thought ahead.
but since you started at 72dpi and you're going to move it to 300dpi for like printing i suppose, don't do that. the quality will be REALLY bad.
you're gonna have to redo all those pages at 300dpi if you want to print stuff. should have thought ahead.
It doesn't even scale up. There's the image size, and then the resolution. Switching the resolution and clicking scale makes absolutely no difference. Thus why I'm wondering if it does anything at all.
My newest comic I started off as a 300dpi. I always draw it big and scale down. When I went to scale down, the default was set to 72dpi. I set it back to 300, scaled it down from 3k by 2k pixels to 773 by whatever the interpolation was (the dimensions I always use). I went back and tried again with 72 and it looked exactly the same.
So I'm confused.
My newest comic I started off as a 300dpi. I always draw it big and scale down. When I went to scale down, the default was set to 72dpi. I set it back to 300, scaled it down from 3k by 2k pixels to 773 by whatever the interpolation was (the dimensions I always use). I went back and tried again with 72 and it looked exactly the same.
So I'm confused.
you're suppose to leave it at 3k pixels.RadPal wrote:It doesn't even scale up. There's the image size, and then the resolution. Switching the resolution and clicking scale makes absolutely no difference. Thus why I'm wondering if it does anything at all.
My newest comic I started off as a 300dpi. I always draw it big and scale down. When I went to scale down, the default was set to 72dpi. I set it back to 300, scaled it down from 3k by 2k pixels to 773 by whatever the interpolation was (the dimensions I always use). I went back and tried again with 72 and it looked exactly the same.
So I'm confused.
there's the document size, which is the printed size.
like for my comics, they are all 8.5in x 11in
i work on them at 300dpi, which is 300 dots per square inch, so it's not unusual for it to be 2550px x 3300px.
so when i'm done with it, and i want to set it for the web, i go back to the image size thing and change it to 72dpi, which again stands for dots per square inch. pixels = dots
making it 612px x 792px
so when you print it out, it's still the same size, but the 300dpi one will be more clearer since it was printed at a higher resolution.
if you change the size back to 773px at 300dpi, it's the same thing as taking one of the 2kpx or 3kpx pictures down to 72dpi.
one more thing, save the 300dpi one and the 72dpi one. one for printing and one for the web. and if you were using photoshop, save the *.psd (unflattened) at 300dpi in case you have to go back and fix stuff
