Page 1 of 1

Portfolio Critique Please?

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:03 pm
by Sopheia
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've shown my face on these forums. It's been an even longer time since I last updated my comic. Why? Because I've immigrated to the UK. It's not easy, you know?

Now I'm looking for a new job, and that's why I need your help. I want to apply for a couple of positions, but for that I want to get the most out of me. Please let me know what you think of the attachment below. Tell me what my eyes are missing. Let me know how I can improve.

Thank you!

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:39 pm
by Dutch!
The eyes are too large.

I think the frontmost nostril is a little squashed.

Possibly the lower lip is a little too full. She looks a little pissed at something.

Otherwise, looks pretty good. Maybe the neck could have a little more detail though.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:42 pm
by Rkolter
I'm nowhere near skilled enough to give you a professional critique; The only thing I noted right off the bat is that she has absolutely, positively flawless skin with not a single line on her face anywhere, including around her mouth, chin, and eyes. That almost seems impossible. Most peoples' faces have some texture to them.

It's still wayyyy better than I can draw, and I really like the hair in particular as well as the eyes.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:07 pm
by Sopheia
Wow! Thanks for your quick reply guys! :D You rock! Your advice means a lot to me.

I'll get myself started on the improvements staight away!

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:53 pm
by Sopheia
What do you think, is this better?

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:28 pm
by Dutch!
I think it looks better. Whatever you've done is almost imperceptable to me though! Are the eyes a little smaller?

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:41 pm
by Sopheia
^_^ Does that mean the changes were subtle but effective, or it doesn't really matter?

I've made the eyes smaller, added a little more texture to the skin, slightly changed the nose, and... maybe other stuff... I don't remember. Bleh, it's getting late. Been working on this all day. *sleep*

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:17 pm
by Beyonder_alpha
Sopheia wrote:What do you think, is this better?
Use a reference for the eyes because they have a bad feel to them.
Pupils also too large.
Let the hair land on the shoulder, it won't float.
Don't articulate the bridge of the nose with women, less is more.
Jaw too articulate.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:39 pm
by Faub
It looks like you're trying to draw a face without look at one.

If you're going for photorealistic, use a photo. There isn't much I can say beyond that. Stylistically, this doesn't do much for me. There's no expression. The face doesn't say anything. There's no activity.

Try drawing yourself from a mirror. You're your own best model.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:17 pm
by J. W. Cornelius
It looks like a very tortured piece, I'd suggest moving on to another one.
Just sketch and build, don't worry about 'finishing out' just yet.
Don't stare at tiny details, be gestural.
Worry about shapes right now.

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:49 pm
by LAGtheNoggin
Britain eh? Crazy.

Things I noticed; First off: Don't draw each individual hair as a pencil line. Squint and draw the general shape of the hair, then work your way towards detail, draw the shadows and highlights but DON'T draw each hair. There's hair tutorials on the internets if you want more.

The shading is lacking in confidence, it's all smudgy. I would like to see clearer 1, 2, 3's - tone, shadow and reflection. Add the 4th (highlight) when you're comfortable working with those 3. This page from Loomis explains further but with 5 values instead of 3, you can get away fine with 3 - good shading isn't good drawing.

As for the eyes, yes, they're too big and a bit far apart. The line for the above eyelid should also be stronger.

If you're looking for an art related job, employers LOVE life drawings. If you're in the West London area I know a good weekly workshop open to the public.


Uhhhhm, other than that, welcome to Blighty!

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:08 am
by Hale
It's a good sketch, but it's not realistic. This is more stylized than anything because you're drawing from your own pereceptions rather than "reality". We all do it. It sometimes sneaks up on me when I'm drawing realistic images.

I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume that this was drawn up from you imagination or maybe a photo. Try to get someone to pose for you or go out to a cafe' or some kind of lounge and see if you can draw some of the people just sitting around. Regardless, if you stress to draw more from reality than your own habitual understanding of the shapes of eyes, noses, shadows, how hair flows etc, you'll find things looking much more proportional and... well realistic.

You have style (that's good), and if that's what you're going for, you're dead on, but if it's realism you want, you'll have to draw from REAL subjects (not just pictures or imagination).