Tips for editorial cartooning...

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Post Reply
User avatar
Simbrie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:11 pm
Contact:

Tips for editorial cartooning...

Post by Simbrie »

Okay, I'm the artist for my school's newspaper, and theres gonna be a competition this Saturday. I didn't know until today that I'm going, in the editorial cartooning.

I've attended this last year, but I didn't get placed in the top 10.

Does anyone have tips for me? =/ I'm sorry if I sound desperate here, 'cuz I'm not. I just want to improve in this area.
Image
Last updated: 04.04.05

Come and see little slices of my mind!

User avatar
DancingChaos
Regular Poster
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:04 am
Location: USA

Post by DancingChaos »

I'll try to help ^^

Keep on practicing!!! If you just sit there and wonder if you'll make it or not, then you'll NEVER make it!!! SO PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

When practicing, look reeeaaally carefully at proportional errors and things like that.

Maybe if you send some of your artwork some people here can help you. :D
Meow

User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Post by Faub »

Never been to one.

If you're supposed to be taking artwork to the competition, make it topical and the best you have.

If you're doing artwork when you get there, take your time. Pay attention to detail and try to make the work as finished as you possibly can.

User avatar
Ryuko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1103
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:05 am
Contact:

Post by Ryuko »

Make sure you look at a picture of the person you're caricaturizing while you do it and make sure it's a good, iconic picture that highlights their best features. Make sure you pay attention to what YOU first look at when you look at the picture of them, whether it be eyes, ears, or double chin.
Image

Post Reply