Demoralized Logic

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Post Reply
User avatar
Lostmind
Regular Poster
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Demoralized Logic

Post by Lostmind »

I was hoping to get feedback about my webcomic, Demoralized Logic.

I wanted to know what you think about the writing as well as the art.

Hopefully with your help, I'll be able to greatly improve my work.

User avatar
Menelaos
Regular Poster
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:14 pm
Location: On board the USG Ishimura

Re: Demoralized Logic

Post by Menelaos »

I can only speak up until about April 22, 2005 of your comic, but I am having a hard time exactly following what is going on. Especially the relationships between the characters, they just seem to fight each other randomly. At least, these are my first impressions, and I can't really speak for your newer stuff.
I did sort of cruise a bit through your newer pages, still a bit hard to follow.

All things considered, I kind of like your comic and what I saw was enough for me to check back on it.

User avatar
Lostmind
Regular Poster
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Demoralized Logic

Post by Lostmind »

thank you Menelaos for your honest critic and as I feared my writing is my greatest weak spot. in the planning stage for my comic I tried to overly connect the characters but I saw how that would be bad. instead I just went forward without without completely defining each character. something that still keeps bitting me in ass to this day.

User avatar
Ohemgee
Regular Poster
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:06 am
Location: Lala land
Contact:

Re: Demoralized Logic

Post by Ohemgee »

So far (I'm almost to 2007) the art's not bad... but I'd have to say the characters not quite three dimensional. You may want to refer to the writing help thread at the top of the forum, as well as other tutorials around the web, practice... or get someone to be your editor, show them the script before you draw it out to get another perspective on your work. However I'm not really qualified to tell you how to change your writing.
I love the art, I only have a couple things to say: your expressions are wonderful, except sometimes they don't quite fit the action. for example on this page in the first panels the girls have very blank expressions even though they're fighting. At the bottom of the page however, the expressions are absolutely fantastic.
Secondly, (minor technicality) make sure that your line art isn't too light. If it's too light it's difficult to see the characters (especially for people with crappy monitors) and it then clashes with the black panel lines and text.

Hope that helps :)
Image
Though not universally, squares are widely regarded as having an even number of sides that has been conjectured by experts in the field to be approximately four.

User avatar
Lostmind
Regular Poster
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Demoralized Logic

Post by Lostmind »

Ohemgee wrote:I love the art, I only have a couple things to say: your expressions are wonderful, except sometimes they don't quite fit the action. for example on this page in the first panels the girls have very blank expressions even though they're fighting. At the bottom of the page however, the expressions are absolutely fantastic.
Secondly, (minor technicality) make sure that your line art isn't too light. If it's too light it's difficult to see the characters (especially for people with crappy monitors) and it then clashes with the black panel lines and text.
Thank you Ohemgee, it all helps. I'm glad you enjoy the art. And you're right I do miss the mark alot when it comes to expressions. I was always worried about the line art being to light since the start, so I tried to switch to pens but I suck using them. Going back to pencil I just try to make the lines as dark as I can.

Thank you again.

RobertBr
Regular Poster
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:38 am

Re: Demoralized Logic

Post by RobertBr »

I tried to read it but it just didn't make any sense. There seem to be random images and dialogue none of which really link togethor, and what is happening on one page doesn't seem to follow from what is happening on another. The main point of a comic is to communicate a story and it just isn't doing that, perhaps you need to script a whole bunch of pages at the same time rather than writing them one at a time. And look around at other comics (Western ones, not Japanese ones) for some tips on dialogue, as that is a big problem.

Robert

User avatar
Lostmind
Regular Poster
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Demoralized Logic

Post by Lostmind »

Thanks for the feedback Robertbr.

I was hoping you could expand on the dialogue.

User avatar
Lostmind
Regular Poster
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Demoralized Logic

Post by Lostmind »

Thank you Carloschas every bit helps but as the comic's creator I was hoping for a little more.

User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: Demoralized Logic

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

It's a spammer, Lostmind. Apparently a very good one I suppose.
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

User avatar
Lostmind
Regular Poster
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Demoralized Logic

Post by Lostmind »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:It's a spammer, Lostmind. Apparently a very good one I suppose.
Thanks for the heads up.

Post Reply