How do I draw a comic?

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Post Reply
User avatar
KODAMA
Spodama Mon
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

How do I draw a comic?

Post by KODAMA »

Oh hi.
I haven't drawn comics in two years or so now, but I think it'd be nice to get back into making comics.
What's a good way to get myself back into drawing comics?

Also, I have trouble updating regularly. I did a little experiment where I tried to update a site everyday, and even though this takes only takes about 20 minutes, I still managed to skip entire months after updating for about five days straight, and then skipping a couple weeks, and then updating for about a week or two, and then skipping a few more months.. etc. a How do I get better at updating regularly?
I'M MAKING A GAME | GALLERY | The old webcomic:http://www.skimlines.com | [url=irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace]irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace[/url]

User avatar
Koad
Regular Poster
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I draw a comic?

Post by Koad »

I just started my first comic so I'm in no position to give you any advice. Your art work is absolutely gorgeous, I hope you do continue making comics. Whatever updating schedule you end up deciding on, I'll be back to read it (and I don't even like pretty girl comics).
Image

User avatar
Joel
Regular Poster
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:01 pm
Location: Richmond CA

Re: How do I draw a comic?

Post by Joel »

instead of posting your comics once you're done, instead make a schedule for it?
Like have the pages be posted like once or twice a week.

That way, if you go on a spree, and then give it a rest, the viewers won't be able to tell that you're taking time off.

User avatar
Wendybird
Regular Poster
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:35 am
Location: PA

Re: How do I draw a comic?

Post by Wendybird »

That's definitely what I do, I've got a buffer twice a week up to early November. But not everyone has too much free time.

User avatar
[AOD]
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: On the run!
Contact:

Re: How do I draw a comic?

Post by [AOD] »

I set aside specific time intervals in which I am to do my comic, and nothing else, and essentially summon up the force of will to force myself to do it. It's probably not the best thing to do, but I find that having a very concrete schedule and an extremely serious attitude towards a regular update schedule causes it to become habit.

@~AOD
My Comic Hexagon Death Squad

A Comic I do with my Buddy Raocow: Artificial Time XS

User avatar
Nikara
Regular Poster
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 12:01 pm
Contact:

Re: How do I draw a comic?

Post by Nikara »

What helps me is to sit down for several hours and draw as many pages as I can; once I get into the manga, the work gets done a lot faster. Then it's up to you whether or not you want to put up a page every day or upload it all at once (which is what I do).

As for getting into your comics--for me, there's no greater inspiration than reading comics. Disappointing comics are the best because inevitably, something will happen that you disagree with and will make you want to create your own comic if only to satisfy whatever development you thought should have happened instead.

Another thing you can do is re-evaluate your characters; try to go over each character's personality thoroughly. Are there any things about the character that one wouldn't know at a glance? Any special memories that they have? Fall in love with your characters. Want to do them justice by portraying them in your comics to the best of your ability.

Hope this helps! You have wonderful work; it's right up my line :) I look forward to reading more of your stuff.
Last edited by Nikara on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Joel
Regular Poster
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:01 pm
Location: Richmond CA

Re: How do I draw a comic?

Post by Joel »

[AOD] wrote:I set aside specific time intervals in which I am to do my comic, and nothing else, and essentially summon up the force of will to force myself to do it. It's probably not the best thing to do, but I find that having a very concrete schedule and an extremely serious attitude towards a regular update schedule causes it to become habit.

@~AOD
I find forcing myself, isn't really the most efficient way, because my mind isn't in the right mindset.

I usually start working on a page everyday in the afternoon, but if it doesn't click, I just don't do it. If I do force myself, I'll usually end up doing something else completely, or work really slow.

This probably doesn't work out for everybody else, because of jobs and other things.

Post Reply