Vector vs Raster

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Post Reply
User avatar
Io
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:50 pm

Vector vs Raster

Post by Io »

Well I've finally started getting Fantasy Writ going, but have come up with a small conundrum- Should I hand ink and color in a raster program like photoshop? Or should I follow the webcomic trend and do my inking and color in a vector program like illustrator? The one real comic I have posted was hand inked then scanned into photoshop and can be seen on the front page of- http://fantasywrit.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Whichever is faster or whichever you want to improve.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
Io
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:50 pm

Post by Io »

Might help if I posted an example of both before asking ^^;;

I like sticking to hand inking because it's faster, but I know that a lot of the really big comics use vector, so I've been stuck on which way to go. I'm not really worried about speed so much as creating an appealing professional looking product, so I just wanted to know what people tend to prefer.
Attachments
Vector frame
Vector frame
vectorF2.png (21.35 KiB) Viewed 569 times

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

Smooth and homogenized doesn't always equal professional. If you like hand inking, go with it. There are tons of professional (to me) level webcomics out there that are hand drawn. Darken, Star Bored, Errant Story immediately come to mind, but there are tons. Right now none of the comics I read regularly are vector based.

Sooo, stick with what you like. If you think vector fits the comic you wanna do, go for it. If you're avy is your work though, I'd say hand ink though. Its a nice style.
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
Io
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:50 pm

Post by Io »

So far with everyone I've talked to I've had about equal votes for each side ^^;. Since it's half done anyway the second strip'll be vector and I may just go with a mix of both if I can get scanned line art with transparency to import to illustrator at 600 dpi...

And the avatar is from a print style comic I've delayed working on for years called Nolice (Nostrum Licentia). Haven't been confident enough in my art to do the story justice, so I figured I'd start small with a web comic.

Post Reply