Knights of the Old Coding
- King Author
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:00 pm
- Contact:
Knights of the Old Coding
Well, I finally have a forum. So let yourselves be heard. What do you think of the comic so far?
"I need new Loyal Men." - King Arthur
-
FilthNails
- Newbie
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:15 pm
- Location: NJ
I think the comic is good in general, and I've followed it for a while now.
I think my only distress about it has been the erratic postings. Even a 3 day posting schedule would be nice as opposed to checking and seeing posts some days and not others, or having them backlogged.
That said, I'm also glad the X-bats are leaving. Things like them and the whole movie tied in Spider Elf I could have done without. I don't know. It just looks strange to have modern day media entertainment mixed in with predominantly old era sprites and content. But if anachronisms were the point and acceptable as the norm, go for it. I might just have the wrong impression. Since it doesn't look like the Xbats are going to have any prominent part in things, I sort of consider it mostly a needless side path. I like hearing about the three main characters and their active matters, mainly.
And yes... I'm responsible for most of Kuros votes. The 'straight man' character type gets overlooked a lot nowadays, so I can't help but like him.
Still, despite what I say, I still check the site once a day, don't I? So, keep it on up.
-FilthNails-
I think my only distress about it has been the erratic postings. Even a 3 day posting schedule would be nice as opposed to checking and seeing posts some days and not others, or having them backlogged.
That said, I'm also glad the X-bats are leaving. Things like them and the whole movie tied in Spider Elf I could have done without. I don't know. It just looks strange to have modern day media entertainment mixed in with predominantly old era sprites and content. But if anachronisms were the point and acceptable as the norm, go for it. I might just have the wrong impression. Since it doesn't look like the Xbats are going to have any prominent part in things, I sort of consider it mostly a needless side path. I like hearing about the three main characters and their active matters, mainly.
And yes... I'm responsible for most of Kuros votes. The 'straight man' character type gets overlooked a lot nowadays, so I can't help but like him.
Still, despite what I say, I still check the site once a day, don't I? So, keep it on up.
-FilthNails-
'If it gets anymore lively in here, a funeral is gonna break out.' -R. Dangerfield
- King Author
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:00 pm
- Contact:
Thanks for the feedback
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the X-bats will soon be gone, and we'll be back on track.
As for the posting, fear not. Summer is a hectic time for me, as my workload increases (I work at a movie theater so the summer crowds mean a lot more work) plus I have the distraction of visiting relatives. But everything is subsiding now, so I should be able to reliably post again. I'll also probably restart up the Smash Comic soon.
As for the posting, fear not. Summer is a hectic time for me, as my workload increases (I work at a movie theater so the summer crowds mean a lot more work) plus I have the distraction of visiting relatives. But everything is subsiding now, so I should be able to reliably post again. I'll also probably restart up the Smash Comic soon.
I liked the Halloween Comic, though I'm disappointed that no one from MY comic was pepicted in costume... I mean I get a lot of people going like "Your THE Terra? The one that does Sprite Show!? I never would have thought..." No idea why people freak out at me... oh well...
I don't know what game Kuros is from and I never played the others... Never played Crystalis, though my brothers may have... But I really love the comic! Check out SS... I'll get around to updating it after Exams, hopefully... I have some fans that are starting to hate-mail me ^_^; so I better get it back up soon! ^_^; Being a webcomic artist is hard. Even harder when you leave off the comic at a critical point like I did ^_^;;;;;
I don't know what game Kuros is from and I never played the others... Never played Crystalis, though my brothers may have... But I really love the comic! Check out SS... I'll get around to updating it after Exams, hopefully... I have some fans that are starting to hate-mail me ^_^; so I better get it back up soon! ^_^; Being a webcomic artist is hard. Even harder when you leave off the comic at a critical point like I did ^_^;;;;;
"Leia!? She's frightening!" Nick, Sprite Show
"Repent your sexist ways!" Abba, Origins
~~~
I am Tsunami!Tsunami Channel

"Repent your sexist ways!" Abba, Origins
~~~
I am Tsunami!Tsunami Channel

-
FilthNails
- Newbie
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:15 pm
- Location: NJ
If you're done plugging your comic (
looks at half of post), I'm happy to inform you Kuros is the main character from Wizards and Warriors, a classic adventure game on the NES. The whole current span of this comic with Malkil, the monsters, and the maidens, is involving sprites from that game.
'If it gets anymore lively in here, a funeral is gonna break out.' -R. Dangerfield
- King Author
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:00 pm
- Contact:
Sprite Show
I've read your comic (which is why the late reply). I like it, mostly because it makes me look like a reliable updater in comparason. ^__^
Seriously though it's rather interesting. In my ever going (and rather unsucessful) quest to find other good sprite comcs I've encountered a lot of ones which try the "modify sprites to make new characters" approach, but none pull them off as well as you did. Most of them throw in even more characters at an even faster rate, and don't give them nearly enough personality.
I'd also like to point out how impressive some of your sprite modifications are. I've done some heavy sprite modification myself (both for KotOC and for a flash project I'm working on) so I know what it can be like.
That being said, I have a few suggestions.
A) I'd try to end more comics with a punchline. I understand that it's got a dramatic swing, but not so much that some strategic humor would ruin it.
B) Like a lot of other authors I've seen, you have a tendency to throw in fans into the comics and stuff. While this might be funny to the few who know these people, others like me, don't get the jokes and end up groaning when they come on screen, or scratching our heads when a new one shows up. (The girl with the hat fetish is an exception, since she rather easily defined her one-trick pony personality)
C) I'm a bit confused if you are the one doing the Comic Relief Sunday or if it's Pen or somebody else, but if you're doing it, I'd just like to say, I'd much rather see more regular comics than the CRS. The comic moves slow enough as it is, and most of the CRS jokes fall under the B complaint I just mentioned.
D) Ditto for the Gina thing. There have been some funny moments, but on the whole, I'd rather see more regular comics. The use of the 8-bit theater cast seems a bit beneath you and, no offense, if I want to see them, I'll just go to 8-bit Theater. Brian is better at that kind of humor than you are (again, no offense) and Gina seems a bit overglorified.
E) As impressive as your sprite modding is, could you cut back? You seem to spend a lot of time doing mods for sprites that aren't in the comic.
Other than that, great comic. I'm gonna put a link to it in the link section, and I hope you'll do the same
Seriously though it's rather interesting. In my ever going (and rather unsucessful) quest to find other good sprite comcs I've encountered a lot of ones which try the "modify sprites to make new characters" approach, but none pull them off as well as you did. Most of them throw in even more characters at an even faster rate, and don't give them nearly enough personality.
I'd also like to point out how impressive some of your sprite modifications are. I've done some heavy sprite modification myself (both for KotOC and for a flash project I'm working on) so I know what it can be like.
That being said, I have a few suggestions.
A) I'd try to end more comics with a punchline. I understand that it's got a dramatic swing, but not so much that some strategic humor would ruin it.
B) Like a lot of other authors I've seen, you have a tendency to throw in fans into the comics and stuff. While this might be funny to the few who know these people, others like me, don't get the jokes and end up groaning when they come on screen, or scratching our heads when a new one shows up. (The girl with the hat fetish is an exception, since she rather easily defined her one-trick pony personality)
C) I'm a bit confused if you are the one doing the Comic Relief Sunday or if it's Pen or somebody else, but if you're doing it, I'd just like to say, I'd much rather see more regular comics than the CRS. The comic moves slow enough as it is, and most of the CRS jokes fall under the B complaint I just mentioned.
D) Ditto for the Gina thing. There have been some funny moments, but on the whole, I'd rather see more regular comics. The use of the 8-bit theater cast seems a bit beneath you and, no offense, if I want to see them, I'll just go to 8-bit Theater. Brian is better at that kind of humor than you are (again, no offense) and Gina seems a bit overglorified.
E) As impressive as your sprite modding is, could you cut back? You seem to spend a lot of time doing mods for sprites that aren't in the comic.
Other than that, great comic. I'm gonna put a link to it in the link section, and I hope you'll do the same
"I need new Loyal Men." - King Arthur
-
KurosPaladin
- Newbie
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Oh...my...god.
I can't believe it. After all these years, I find someone who *knows* Kuros! He's been my favorite video game character for at least 10 years, and on top of that, I've played him in numerous RPG campaigns!
I just spent the last two hours (of which I was supposed to be finishing my bills for the month), reading the entire KotOC archive.
And yes, I have been using the nick "KurosPaladin" for some time (check eBay, etc.)
Thank you for a great comic! I now have a whole new perspective of Kuros!
I can't believe it. After all these years, I find someone who *knows* Kuros! He's been my favorite video game character for at least 10 years, and on top of that, I've played him in numerous RPG campaigns!
I just spent the last two hours (of which I was supposed to be finishing my bills for the month), reading the entire KotOC archive.
And yes, I have been using the nick "KurosPaladin" for some time (check eBay, etc.)
Thank you for a great comic! I now have a whole new perspective of Kuros!