It Ages You....

CasVeg
Regular Poster
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:06 am

It Ages You....

Post by CasVeg »

It seems to me that Quentyn, in the last panel of the March 14 comic, looks slightly older than he does in the first couple of panels from February 17. An even more dramatic effect is seen in the March 13 comic: By the time we reach the seventh panel, it's as if Quentyn has aged nearly a decade. We're not looking into the face of a child who wants to be a hero; we are looking into the face of a dying soldier in a defeated battalion. It's like the youth was burned out of him in those few moments. The only reprieve we get is the near-death sequence in the subsequent strip; he actually looks <i>young</i> again. . .period.

Quentyn is on a bit of a knife's edge right now. If he can't cope, he is in <i>extreme</i> danger of falling prey to destructive hatred and self-loathing. This sort of cancer-of-the-soul will inevitably destroy his life. If Quentyn succeeds in blocking out his negative feelings, he may ultimately lose the ability to regret, to <i>care</i>. Apathy is a fate worse than death and a crime worse than hate. Without some shadow of remorse, one is little more than a machine. Quentyn's soul is in <i>grave</i> danger right now, and he very probably more than needs some divine intercession.

In any case, it doesn't seem like Quentyn has too much of a childhood left. He's being forced to grow up a lot faster than he should have to.


P.S.: Compare panel six of September 15, 2002 with panel seven of March 13, 2005.

User avatar
Astral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1577
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:15 am
Location: "I am the terror, that flaps in the night!"
Contact:

Post by Astral »

I've noticed this too,

User avatar
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1346
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Bethlehem PA
Contact:

Post by Kerry Skydancer »

Quentyn's at the age where his culture puts their kids out to start their final adult training. He's chosen a profession where there are no living mentors and is having to teach himself as he goes. He's doing a creditable job so far and if he's growing up quickly, Questoring would probably do that whether or not he had a normal apprenticeship.

His childhood's supposed to be over now. He's just making a faster transition than most of his peers.
Skydancer

Ignorance is not a point of view.

Ransom Returns
Regular Poster
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:00 pm

Post by Ransom Returns »

I understand what you're saying, but I just don' t see it. Firstly, as Skydancer pointed out, he is growing up fast, but that's more of a neccesity in this case. Secondly, Quentyn can care and feel remorse, as evidenced in March 14th strip. He feels shame in the presence of God (as anyone would) and is then given assurance that everything is ok.

I think Quentyn will be fine. I'm not saying he'll come out of this bright as a whistle, but I think it's too soon to speak of his soul being in danger, as if he were some Jedi teetering on sucumbing to the Dark Side (geek alert!! geek alert!!). Quentyn's no Anakin Skywalker. :wink:

Bolo Unit_BRL of the Line
Regular Poster
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:55 pm
Location: Giving the Enemy a right good thrashing.

Post by Bolo Unit_BRL of the Line »

He's a hell of a lot smarter and far more committed than Anakin, for one (Anakin, I said Anakin! Not Darth Vader, who had trancended the childish and silly notions of Anakin, evil though he may be. Fie! Fie I say!).
Image

DracoDei
Regular Poster
Posts: 924
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Near Atlanta GA

Re: It Ages You....

Post by DracoDei »

CasVeg wrote:Quentyn is on a bit of a knife's edge right now. If he can't cope, he is in extreme danger of falling prey to destructive hatred and self-loathing. This sort of cancer-of-the-soul will inevitably destroy his life.
I don't quite follow the psychology you are describing. Timidity, or 'trigger happiness', or 'post traumatic stress disorder' (which I don't know the specifics of very well, so it could include what you are talking about...) seem more likely than 'survivors guilt' or thinking that he could have saved lives by acting in a different way. Please elucidate?
Could you please specify the dialogue in panel 6 of September 15, 2002? I want to be sure I am counting the same way you are

User avatar
Fusion
Regular Poster
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:16 pm
Location: My own little world
Contact:

Post by Fusion »

You know, it most likely is also a result of changing drawing skill. If you look at my drawings of people, the first ones look half-real. The middle ones look like young teens, the latest ones look closer to the age I want them to be.

At the same time, his job would cause him to mature a lot.
"Heh, sometimes talking to yourself is the only way to get an intelligent conversation..."--Tbolt
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"--Edgar Allen Poe
"I just had an argument with myself, so now we're not talking."--me
"We are the salt of the earth, not the powdered sugar."--R.H. Jr.

User avatar
The JAM
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere in Mexico...
Contact:

Post by The JAM »

[...unWARP!!!]

Good evening.


And his eyes turned red, too, wow...



User avatar
TGIF
Regular Poster
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:12 pm
Location: Oak Park, Michigan

Post by TGIF »

Our hero is looking older in the last panel because his forelock is turning white.

I'm not sure if it's turning whiter from being gray, or if just more of his forelock is turning white.

But the lick from the stag is the key.

BTW - Did the crystal in the last panel of 3/13 discharge through Quentyn?

Also, could someone please give me the last line of yellow text from today's panel 6?

Thanks,

TGIF

User avatar
TinklePit
Regular Poster
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:21 am
Contact:

Post by TinklePit »

"is ever wasted"
Before complaining about my name, perform a Google search to find out what it means :-)

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Soon Quentyn will be in the ol Racconan home, or sitting on the porch yelling at the damns kits to stay off his lawn.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Astral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1577
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:15 am
Location: "I am the terror, that flaps in the night!"
Contact:

Post by Astral »

Reminds me of fairy odd perents:

Timmy: "Wow! Middle Age's day! My favourt fesival of the year!"
Cosmo: "Yeah, look! I'm middle aged. HAY! You kids get off my lawn!"

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Old people need the Soylent Green treatment.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Astral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1577
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:15 am
Location: "I am the terror, that flaps in the night!"
Contact:

Post by Astral »

Would that be the same kind of treatment that you give nuns?

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Nah, I just jacked their leaders wheels, The Popemobile. Found it parked in the Popecave.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Astral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1577
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:15 am
Location: "I am the terror, that flaps in the night!"
Contact:

Post by Astral »

"Dan-na-na-nana Dan-na-na-nana POPE MAN!"

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Astral wrote:"Dan-na-na-nana Dan-na-na-nana POPE MAN!"
The Adventures Popeman and Cardinal
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Astral
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1577
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:15 am
Location: "I am the terror, that flaps in the night!"
Contact:

Post by Astral »

"To the popemobeal! And its airconditioned bullet proof (but entirly trasparant) cube!"

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

I still expect to see those lottoballs bounciing around in there around his head.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Mjolnir
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:23 am
Location: Northern New Jersey
Contact:

Post by Mjolnir »

"And today's drawing is being audited by Pope John Paul II. Now, the Pick 4."

:D

- Mjolnir
Image

Post Reply